Bolt Action 30-06 Recommendations

Ted S.

I've been looking into getting a bolt action rifle within the next month or so. I've been doing minimal research on these and haven't formed any opinions as of yet. I've been leaning towards the Browning, but I'm not sure if they are American made. Ruger has entered my mind as well.

With the ammo rushes that have been going on, I always see 30-06 available, and I'd like something to take to the range... It's looking to be a while before I will be able to get enough .223 or 5.56 to go to the range for more than fifteen minutes or so...

Does anyone have any solid opinions or experience here?

Looking to keep a budget of under $1k, maybe a bit more if it worth it.

Thanks for any response. :hat:

The choice in a heavy caliber is generally going to come down to the ammo. There isn’t enough difference between a 30-06 and .308 rifles to notice. The only cheap 30-06 ammo is going to be old military M2 ball, not great for target shooting and not a hunting round. Everything is in short supply right now, but when it lets up .308 will be back in supply, and you will have much more choices than 30-06. I own rifles in both calibers, but if I had to pick one it would be .308.

The battle of the bolt rifles is going to be the Remington 700 and the Savage lines.  You can’t go wrong with either. The 700 has owned this market for years and the new Savages have been giving them a run for their money.

Of course stand by… Smith & Wesson has been listening to their customers and giving them everything they want in the M&P line. They just rolled out a 308 AR, so the next logical thing to do is an M&P heavy barrel bolt. biggrin.gif

A scope is going to be as important as the rifle you choose.

I haven’t got to shoot the Ruger; I don’t see a heavy barrel option which is a must for me.

Browning rifles are made in Japan unless you buy a high dollar custom from Belgium. That doesn’t mean they aren’t good guns; but it kicks them off my list. The only thing they make here is .22’s

The choice is simple, if you appreciate fine quality rifles (nice wooden stocks and super finishes), go for the Browning or other high end. If you want an every day shooter, and don't care about scuffs, and scratches go with the synthetic stocks guns. However, if you want the medium, go with the Remington 700, Winchester 70, or the Ruger M77. In any case, you are going to have some fun. Report back once you buy and shoot.

I have an X Bolt Hunter in .243 and LOVE it. Best feature set out there. Mine was made in Japan, but I don't care.

I hear Brownings are made everywhere. To be honest, I've had good luck with stuff made in Japan. I'm just on a buy American mission this year. :usa:

Ruger American and you have plenty of money left over for a really awesome scope.

I am just enamored with the Ruger American right now. It is factory bedded with an adjustable trigger and can be found in the $350 range in the market. And it isn't as ugly as the other budget rifles.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/index.html

The only thing that has made me resist getting a Ruger is the price point, and that I have no experience of their rifles. My SR9c is an amazing pistol at it's price point, I think I may have overlooked them for rifles.

Remington 700 years and years of an awesome rifle

That is one that I have been considering. Didn't know they cambered them in 30-06.

I have a browning A-bolt II Medallion that shoots awesome. It is a 30-06 too.

Do you happen to have the one with the Boss mechanism?

Remington 700 SPS series are nice and you don't have to worry about scratching up the wood since it is synthetic.

Same goes for a Savage. They are nice with the accutrigger.

Two for the 700. Savage is one I have failed to look into.

The choice in a heavy caliber is generally going to come down to the ammo. There isn’t enough difference between a 30-06 and .308 rifles to notice. The only cheap 30-06 ammo is going to be old military M2 ball, not great for target shooting and not a hunting round. Everything is in short supply right now, but when it lets up .308 will be back in supply, and you will have much more choices than 30-06. I own rifles in both calibers, but if I had to pick one it would be .308.

The battle of the bolt rifles is going to be the Remington 700 and the Savage lines.  You can’t go wrong with either. The 700 has owned this market for years and the new Savages have been giving them a run for their money.

Of course stand by… Smith & Wesson has been listening to their customers and giving them everything they want in the M&P line. They just rolled out a 308 AR, so the next logical thing to do is an M&P heavy barrel bolt. biggrin.gif

A scope is going to be as important as the rifle you choose.

I haven’t got to shoot the Ruger; I don’t see a heavy barrel option which is a must for me.

Browning rifles are made in Japan unless you buy a high dollar custom from Belgium. That doesn’t mean they aren’t good guns; but it kicks them off my list. The only thing they make here is .22’s

I've actually considered a .375 H&H fo a while, I just can't find one for much less than $1K...

For the scope, I've been looking at leuphold.

I have a Stag-15 AR, would a .308 upper not work with the lower receiver? (probably a dumb question)

The only thing that keeps me from wanting a .308 is getting the ammo. Seems to be pretty popular to rush at the moment just like pistol and AR ammo. If I start seeing .308 rounds on the shelf at about the time before I buy, I may go .308 :up:

Found this for Ruger for the heavy barrel: http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeTactical/models.html

What is the benefit? (Noob to some firearms :stalk: )

I have a ruger m77 from the early 1980's its a fantastic rifle and seems to break in more than it wears out i have remington rifles but they do not compair to my ruger.

So that is x2 for a Ruger?

The choice is simple, if you appreciate fine quality rifles (nice wooden stocks and super finishes), go for the Browning or other high end. If you want an every day shooter, and don't care about scuffs, and scratches go with the synthetic stocks guns. However, if you want the medium, go with the Remington 700, Winchester 70, or the Ruger M77. In any case, you are going to have some fun. Report back once you buy and shoot.

Ruger, Savage and the 700 are looking better and better...

You could go with something like this:http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/52677-model-70-winchester-ranger-30-06/?hl=%2Bwinchester+%2Branger, and have a LOT of money left for optics, ammo, etc. :cool:

Kinda leaning toward Ruger at the moment... :panic:

Edited by Ted S.
.30-06 is long action, .308 is short action, personally I prefer short action bolts over long action ones in general, and the smoother Remington or Weatherby actions over the rougher Ruger or Savage ones.

The above is also true with regards to the various factory trigger offerings, Remington/Weatherby I leave alone, where as Ruger/Savage after-market triggers are usually slapped in them.

As far as cartridges the .308 & .30-06 are very similar ballistically, for ease of shooting, accuracy & cost of reloading I prefer the .308, that said the .30-06 can be loaded a bit heavier than the .308 & thus would be better suited for taking very large game such as elk, moose or brown bears.

I own many rifles but have one that I will simply not part with.  It is an 18 year old stainless Ruger 77mkII.  It has the older synthetic stock (often call the boat paddle).  I love the three position safety.  It is light and the stock doesn't help recoil much but I have had VERY good luck with it over the years.  The action has been bedded, the barrel free floated, and the trigger is at 2.5 lbs.  It shoots like a dream.  My second choice would be a Remington 700BDL.  If I were going to buy one of the cheaper rifles I would get a Savage with the accutrigger.  Ugly but good performers.

1k is a lot for a BA rifle unless you want a top end long range gun.  If you are willing to get a used gun, you can find some real gems for sale.  If not dead set on the caliber, there are so many that perform like an 06 to pick from, one is as good as another.  308 being the most common but the bulk of the WWII stuff is about like 06 and *some* (a lot of them suck so beware) of the "sportered" mausers and mosins etc are very good quality, rugged guns for a modest price.

I think buying new really limits your choices, but there is a lot to be said for not having to deal with something someone else messed up.

Not really sure now if I'm dead set on caliber...I've been looking at .300 and .338 win mags as well...

honestly even for 06, you may want  to reload.  Most rifle rounds cost far too much to not make your own.  And once you reload em, the difference between the big group of 30 to 35 caliber rifles is small; the bulk of them are ballistically identical to 308 roughly with a few magnums that are more potent and a small number that are weaker (30-30 for example).  

If looking used, the caliber is what it is when you find a sweet gun.  Much easier to find a good one if you compromise the caliber a wee bit.   

I'm biased AR30 30-06: http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=30M006-22&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=9fe63d71-b921-4976-9355-93f7271d20d8

I know it is more than you want to pay, but these were a special run. The normal caliber for Ar30's are 300 win mag and 338 Lapua. Once those are sold, that's it!

Here goes a 338 Winchester, too. http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=30M338WM-26&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=9fe63d71-b921-4976-9355-93f7271d20d8

They did have some 308's, but they sold out and are gone forever. The rest are here: http://www.armalite.com/Categories.aspx?Category=9fe63d71-b921-4976-9355-93f7271d20d8 Edited by JohnC

honestly even for 06, you may want  to reload.  Most rifle rounds cost far too much to not make your own.  And once you reload em, the difference between the big group of 30 to 35 caliber rifles is small; the bulk of them are ballistically identical to 308 roughly with a few magnums that are more potent and a small number that are weaker (30-30 for example).  

If looking used, the caliber is what it is when you find a sweet gun.  Much easier to find a good one if you compromise the caliber a wee bit.   

I haven't even began to look into reloading. If it's dummy proof I may look into it. By dummy proof I mean an exacting process..

I haven't even began to look into reloading. If it's dummy proof I may look into it. By dummy proof I mean an exacting process..

It is not terribly difficult if you just want ammo that goes bang simialr to off the shelf ammo that you buy.  If you get picky about accuracy, it can become more difficult.   I will never be the one that tells you that handling ANY explosives is ever dummy proof, but it does follow a process and its not a difficult one.   Even a detailed process of it is short, 5-10 steps depending on how picky you are about what a step IS.   The last time I loaded big rifle (last year sometime) it was about $30 for 100 shots, compare that to whatever you buy for a rough idea of savings. 

It just depends on how much money you want to spend.

I have a Savage 110 7mm rem mag that was purchased in the late 90's on sale at I'm pretty sure Wal Mart for 200 bucks.  It has an inexpensive wood stock on it and an old Bushnell ScopeChief scope that is not a very good scope.  This gun does not have the Accutrigger and the trigger is honestly a little heavy.

The gun will shoot within an inch on the bench at 100 yds as long as I do my part with factory Remington Core Lokt ammo.

I think 7 mag is an excessive round for deer in this part of the country that can be killed with a 223 but when given a free rifle might as well take it.

If I had the money and was looking for a 30-06, I'd give a serious look to the Remington 700 XCR II.  That gun is stainless and coated in something that makes the rifle highly rust resistant.  It also has a synthetic stock and the X MarK trigger.   I'd also seriously consider a Winchester Model 70 with a stainless barrel and synthetic stock.

If I didn't have a lot of money, look at Savage, even a used one.  Most hunting guns have not been fired much, so used guns are a great deal.  Savages are good guns when you have a tight budget and are accurate.  You can buy a new Savage blued rifle with synthetic stock and Accutrigger for about 400 dollars.