St. Louis homeowner kills 15-year-old burglar, police say

I still have a problem with a home owner going outside to investigate. That is the job of law enforcement. If your inside stay put until the person comes inside then do what you have to. Justified or not I feel this is a bad practice. Call the law let them investigate the outside. Too many issues can arise in situations like this. Especially in the current political climate.
  • Like 1

From the article this sounds like it went badly for the teen, but was handled appropriately by the police.  I firmly believe if you break into someone's house, you should be willing accept whatever consequences occur in the moment and should have no ability to sue in the aftermath.

• Like 2
Break Ito my home and be damned if I take the time to identify the persons age, race, creed or color. Break in my door or window, it's not a game.

It's a shame the idiot waste his chance at life. It's a shame any family he had that may have cared about him, now must lament his death. I place the blame equally on them for raising a piece of thieving crap. Good riddance.
  • Like 1

I think your property includes the land your house sits on, along with your car and other features of your property, including

outbuildings like garages, according to the Castle Doctrine, doesn't it?

Yes, it really is too bad people, especially criminals, tend to have a lack of respect for another's property rights, but a property

owner has every right to protect what he has earned and owns, including outside the house.

And it certainly doesn't matter what age the perp is. Sometimes life can be dirty. Wash your hands.

If someone is on my property that shouldn't be I'm going to intervene. Police aren't going to stop them from stealing or damaging my property if they don't get there in time. If I catch someone on my property committing a property crime such as theft or vandalism they will get a gun pointed at them and will be ordered to assume the position. At that point they can surrender, run or try to fight me. I'm cool with any of those options, but the option to stand idly by and be a victim is not one I choose.
  • Like 3

Sometimes gaining the upper hand by going on the offensive can save good people lives. If family is inside would it not be better to stop intruders before they enter. At a minimum IMO the homeowner has a human right to do so.

• Like 1

I still have a problem with a home owner going outside to investigate. That is the job of law enforcement. If your inside stay put until the person comes inside then do what you have to. Justified or not I feel this is a bad practice. Call the law let them investigate the outside. Too many issues can arise in situations like this. Especially in the current political climate.

Kinda depends on the property sometimes, at my sister in law's place in St. Louis she has no lot so you can be on the public sidewalk and touch her front windows(kinday hard to justify in my book until they break the plain). At my place here in town they are already 100+ feet onto my property before they can touch the house(pretty easy to judge intent by then), where as our property up on the plateau is nearly 60 acres so if they are anywhere near the house (well past the no trespassing signs) the neighbors won't even think anything of the gunshot other than to ask me if I got that boar I was after the following morning if they happen to run into me at the co-op.  :pleased:

Guest nra37922

I wish I could feel some sorrow at the loss of this young mans life but I can't.  No, my prayers are with the homeowner as this, no matter how justified and right, is going to haunt him for a long long time.

Would any of you guys be worried about revenge from a family if you killed a 15 year old even though he was breaking into your home? I know sometimes the pain is so great for the parents that they just want you to pay the price too. I think I would be on edge for a while looking over my back. Some parents will tell you they have no reason to live if something happened to their child. Edited by Jesse

Living near that area for decades, having in-laws living next to there, knowing the response times of the St. Louis PD for in progress home invasions of my mother-in-law. Not even mentioning the gang-bangers around there...

Unless you take the initiative of protecting you and your property, it's always the uniformed report taker that may or may not show up. Heck, you can't even get an accident report from the St. Louis PD for insurance purposes unless it's over a few thousand dollars in damage, and the wait sitting on the road can be hours.

In St. Louis, the best defense is a good offense if on your property, IMHO.

Unfortunately, it would be my luck getting a jury of my peers from Clayton or Ladue, rather than my neighborhood in a self defense situation on my property. In other words, the gated communities and not the real St. Louis.

Edited by Dennis1209

Living near that area for decades, having in-laws living next to there, knowing the response times of the St. Louis PD for in progress home invasions of my mother-in-law. Not even mentioning the gang-bangers around there...

Unless you take the initiative of protecting you and your property, it's always the uniformed report taker that may or may not show up. Heck, you can't even get an accident report from the St. Louis PD for insurance purposes unless it's over a few thousand dollars in damage, and the wait sitting on the road can be hours.

In St. Louis, the best defense is a good offense if on your property, IMHO.

i think my original post may not have expressed my thoughts as i intended. i didnt mean to implie i thought the home owner did anything wrong or didnt have the right to do what he did. i just think he placed himself at a tactical disadvantage by leaving his house. what if there had been 5 people out there all armed. the homeowner may never had gotten back into his home. my thinking is while inside the house the homeowner has the tactical advantage. i know that in this case things worked out for the best but i still think his tactics were lacking. there is no property in my yard that i would put my life or the life of my family in that kind of jeopardy for.

Guest nra37922

Would any of you guys be worried about revenge from a family if you killed a 15 year old even though he was breaking into your home? I know sometimes the pain is so great for the parents that they just want you to pay the price too. I think I would be on edge for a while looking over my back. Some parents will tell you they have no reason to live if something happened to their child.

Not the parent, singular on purpose, I would be concerned about.  IF these cretins belong to a gang that is where the trouble would come from.  Drive by shoot up of house or car would first come to mind. 

ask me if I got that boar  :pleased:

2.ooohhh...u'ins have wild hogs up there in Brentwood? Two legged or four legged? Be sure you have a backstop!  :up:

Nope, just squirrels, rabbits, and moles driving me crazy here. The boar problem is on our family property up in Fentress county.