Has anyone been able to find 9mm Makarov lately?

Well, one reason I thought the ~$10 a box price for Monarch brand at Academy was so good was that everywhere else I saw Mak ammo (and, remember, this was when there was no ammo 'craze' going on), it was priced at $21.00 or so per box of 50.  That was for Wolf brand, mostly.

Before Hornady added 9mm Mak to their Critical Defense line, the only JHP that was really available for MAK was made by Silver Bear (I think Hornady used to make Mak in one of their other JHP lines but had stopped.)  I got my LGS owner to stock a case of it and I bought several boxes from him - he priced it pretty close to the FMJ that he already stocked.  Others must have been interested, as well, because that ammo didn't hang around his store for too long.  A couple of months ago, I did buy three boxes of Critical Defense in Makarov at Sportsman's Warehouse in Chattanooga.  Strangely, I don't think they have ever stocked any Mak FMJ but they were selling the Critical Defense.  They probably can't keep any in stock now, though.  I haven't had a chance to test out the CD ammo for reliability, etc. in my CZ82 just yet.

Edited by JAB

crit defense is weak, but it expands nicely from my limited testing.  9x18 should be 1100-1200 fps out of a makarov pistol.  The last 20 years, it has steadily decreased in power for unknown reasons and is now often found at 900-1000 fps.  In the same timeframe, 380 ammo has improved dramatically.   I don't get it.

I love the bullet design of crit defense but they don't sell those yet.

----------

In other news, the ultra brass reloads worked 100%, I finally shot 1/2 a box this week.  Cut 9x19 is superior, and of course actual mak brass is better still.  

----------

I think all academy gets monarch in, it just goes fast.

Guest BigDave

Is it just me or has all of the 9mm Mak dried up recently? I can't find any online or in stores. I'm wondering if people have bought a lot of it thinking it's 9mm so it will work in any 9mm gun?

Any thoughts or leads?

I believe I have a can full of it. I can't use it either

I guess I don't have it anymore. I may have traded it off for something else. Sorry

I guess I don't have it anymore. I may have traded it off for something else. Sorry

I appreciate you looking. If you do happen to come across it let me know.

I miss the $8.50/box Brown Bear 9x18 :(

I even found it as cheap as $7.49 waaaay back in the day if you bought 10 or more boxes. Those were the days, huh?

Someone is still trying to get too much for it in the gear classifieds. It's not an obscene markup, but I don't know why anyone would buy it when you can easily get it for much cheaper elsewhere.  

I was looking for some on here too, hoping to save on shipping. I saw some in the gear classifieds too and couldn't believe the price either. Some folks have no scruples.