DHS Purchases 2,700 Light-Armored Tanks

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Police departments have BFVs?

Police departments have BFVs?

I'm sure one of them does. I was just ranting a little bit about someone saying that they (the DHS) was going to be sending them off to departments as part of an agreement. Validity of that is unknown. Just being a bit snarky.

Still trying to find a source of this information other than some guy's blog. I could say the DHS just bought 2,700 Tie Fighters but it doesn't make it true and it doesn't mean DHS is building a Death Star.

Oh dude, don't be ridiculous!

Who would buy outdated TIE fighters since the Mandalorians tooled up Mandalmotors and started producing the Kom'rk class fighter.
I'd rather have an old Basilisk war droid as a stupid TIE. Ion propulsion sucks.
  • Like 3

Who would buy outdated TIE fighters since the Mandalorians tooled up Mandalmotors and started producing the Kom'rk class fighter.
I'd rather have an old Basilisk war droid as a stupid TIE. Ion propulsion sucks.

I was always partial to the Tie Defender....

Yes because clearly the backwood police departments need MRAPs and Bradleys.

I'm telling you, they should just sell them to civies.

Agreed, to a certain extent. Big city PDs and state LEAs have had some sort of APCs for decades now, though likely they haven't had tracked vehicles like 113s and Bradleys, but that is probably just because it is so impractical. MRAPs are probably the new cool to have because you can fit more SWAT guys in them than those BRDM looking things that LAPD had. Not every little PD needs them obviously; I think the reason many of them are jumping on the opportunity is so they can say that they have one. A huge waste of money, but if the city isn't paying for it then nobody beats up the council.

You are all about to be outclassed.  Improbability drive is the wave of the future.  Climb aboard the Heart  of Gold with Doug Adams.

You are all about to be outclassed.  Improbability drive is the wave of the future.  Climb aboard the Heart  of Gold with Doug Adams.

Well I thought we were discussing fighters. If its an all around transport I'll take a British Phone booth.
I'd give anything for a Tardis.

Agreed, to a certain extent. Big city PDs and state LEAs have had some sort of APCs for decades now, though likely they haven't had tracked vehicles like 113s and Bradleys, but that is probably just because it is so impractical. MRAPs are probably the new cool to have because you can fit more SWAT guys in them than those BRDM looking things that LAPD had. Not every little PD needs them obviously; I think the reason many of them are jumping on the opportunity is so they can say that they have one. A huge waste of money, but if the city isn't paying for it then nobody beats up the council.

I've seen 113's that have been converted over.

One of these days, they're going to run up against someone that knows how to take an armored vehicle and isn't scared of them.  I hope it never comes, but the past decade is hard to ignore.

I've seen 113's that have been converted over.

One of these days, they're going to run up against someone that knows how to take an armored vehicle and isn't scared of them.  I hope it never comes, but the past decade is hard to ignore.

Seems like a huge waste to have a 113, but I guess if they got it milsurp for a buck it doesn't matter. I'm just thinking how impractical it would be to drive that to a hit from a PD. I mean, the reason it has tracks is for terrain not hardball.
Guest summertime27

Hey? Gimmie a Break!

I was down by the river and met a guy in a van who gave me the link!

Seemed Legit....

20120403175648_surveillance%20van%20seem

Why are you taking pics of my Van????

Well, playing along with the tin foil nonsense, here's some peace of mind;  No amount of armor and/or tech can overcome man's first weapon, the gift from God himself.  It rests between your ears.  What is the oldest technology we have on earth?  Fire.  A good coat of gelled fuel oil doesn't have to destroy anything more than the oxygen the occupants breath.  

Back in the real world; Even if this is all true and worthy to be paranoid of, if you don't poke your head up and start running that mouth, what reason do they have to come to your door?  No, that's not apathy talking.  It's common sense. Ask ANYONE with combat experience what's the best advantage in a struggle?  Lack of information about you.  The less they know, the less they can plan for.  So everyone keep calm and quiet as far as what you have, where your loyalties lie and what you intend to do.  

Well, playing along with the tin foil nonsense, here's some peace of mind; No amount of armor and/or tech can overcome man's first weapon, the gift from God himself. It rests between your ears. What is the oldest technology we have on earth? Fire. A good coat of gelled fuel oil doesn't have to destroy anything more than the oxygen the occupants breath.

There are a couple of good vids on YouTube of Syrian rebels destroying T72 tanks with simple Molotov cocktails. MRAPs are rolling fire hazards with those tires. The fire suppression system they have is designed to save human life, not the vehicle. When those tires catch fire the vehicle is a total loss.

Of course, DHS doesn't have 2,700 of these so worrying about how we would fight them is kinda moot. Edited by TMF

Of course, DHS doesn't have 2,700 of these so worrying about how we would fight them is kinda moot.

Very true.

On to more important things that need discussing. How would a guy take out a TIE fighter using commonly found items?

Oh I'm not saying that certain departments don't have a need for them, because I know some probably have a very legitimate use for them.  I agree with the money suck part. I don't know what it cost's to run and maintain on of those but I'm positive it isn't cheap at all.  I know here in town the sheriff has some form of small tank like thing with wheels instead of tracks, and an underbelly hatch to grab a downed person under fire is what I'm assuming. 

As far as anything tracked goes, why would you need it or want it on your streets? It would rip them up.

Asphalt is cheap when compared to a cop or hostage's life.  But you won't see them roaring down 40 anytime soon.  Those things are usually line hauled as close as they can get them.  And its not that they're going to completely destroy the road.  Sooner or later yes, but not right away.