q's about chinese mosin, what to do with it?

Guest earlybird

Guest earlybird

recently acquired a family heirloom mosin nagant. actually a chinese type 53 made in 1955. is it worth restoring, and how to go about it? the barrel bands are very loose, the barrel has some questionable rust issues on the outside, and I believe it is in less than ideal shooting condition. I recently moved to Lousiville KY and still looking for a decent smith to look it over and give me the go or no go on shooting it. Only reason I want to fix it up is it is the rifle i learned to shoot with. it was my grandfather's, and he taught all my aunt's and uncles to shoot with it, as well as all the grandkids and a few great grand kids before he passed. it sat on a relatives garage floor for almost 12 years, now there are a few more family members needing to learn and I want to take over what he started. all my friends told me to scrap it and get another one. normally i would, but this one has too much family history to be mounted on a wall and admired. it deserves to be shot!

I am thinking at the very least it needs a barrel replacement, the rifling is good and deep with no pitting, however, it has some exterior pitting even i am concerned about, any tips on barrel replacement? 

how bad is the rust, really?   Odds are, the gun is fine (rust wise) and just clean it off and protect against additional rusting.  

As for the bands, they are made to come off, you can probably buy a replacement set from someone who has taken theirs out of the stock to make a custom rifle? Or try to tighten yours?

You should get a smith to look it over if you are in doubt.  If the barrel needs to be replaced, you can do that too.  At some point, buying a new mosin for parts may be the cheap way to fix it -- a barrel is prob expensive as a whole gun (?)

My advice would be NOT to pay a gunsmith to look at it.

I know this one has sentimental value, but they're $99.99 online. I'd just buy another one and change out parts, if I wanted to keep the original. Edited by BigK
  • Like 1
Guest earlybird

Here is the worst of the pitting. Hopefully it is viable, my camera sucks at close up.

onetwo_zps0bdb1d7b.jpg

oneone_zps4c947c1d.jpg

I don't know. I don't think it will be an issue to run 1 or 2 rounds through it, but long term I do have concerns it may just rupture or crack the barrel once it gets hot. May just have to retire the rifle and pick up an sks or possibly a 8mm mauser, or something even newer. I can't even explain how po'd I was, where i found it :(

Chinese Type 53 Mosins are fairly inexpensive. and there are quite a few out there at this time, however the ones I have seen have been in pretty rough condition.  Restoring yours will definitely cost more than the rifle is worth, and probably won't do anything for the value.

That being said, if the rifle has sentimental value to you, and you want to get it looking good, then go ahead and have it done.  I did the same thing for one of my dad's shotguns.  I spent more to have it reblued than the shotgun was worth.  It was the first shotgun I ever fired, and I am glad I got it fixed up.  I am currently contemplating having the stock refinished, as well.

ETA:  Having now seen the pictures, that is some severe pitting.  Definitely have a gunsmith check it out before you try to shoot it.  The gunsmith can give you an idea if it can be repaired, or not.

Edited by Reservoir Dog
I don't know, man. That pitting is pretty deep. Plus, 7.62x54R is a pretty powerful cartridge. I don't think I'd shoot one single bullet through it w/out putting it in a vise and pulling the trigger with a string from 50' away.

Then again, I may just be a chicken $hi+.
Guest earlybird

That is what I was afraid of. May just hang this one up on a wall or stuff it in the display with my Luger's and find something a little more modern. May try to find a barrel. They are getting harder to find, kind of like a good mosin nagant, all the ones I've looked at this afternoon were no better, if not worse for wear. Oh well.  

In my definitely not an expert opinion, that rifle barrel is done for.  As others have said, there is no way to feasibly repair it for anything remotely close to replacement cost.  Barrels on these old guns are difficult to remove, especially with rust issues like this one.  If I wanted to keep it, I would explore rust stabilization and prevention measures, turn it into a wall memento, and replace it for practicable shooting by something else.

I don't know, man. That pitting is pretty deep. Plus, 7.62x54R is a pretty powerful cartridge. I don't think I'd shoot one single bullet through it w/out putting it in a vise and pulling the trigger with a string from 50' away.

Then again, I may just be a chicken $hi+.

Yikes!! Don't shoot that til checked or repaired.

That's not pitting. That's a major excavation site started.  Seriously, that is some pretty rough looking damage.

• Like 1
I'm far from being an expert but I'd be suspect of any gunsmith who gave that a clean bill of health. I'd there anyone out there making aftermarket Nagant barrels? If you just have to shoot that one that's what I'd look into, salvaging the bolt and action keeping the stock and getting a barrel made up for it. Likely it will cost you at least 3xs what the gun is worth but it will have sentimental value and may even turn out awesome.

Buymilsurp.com has some 91/30 barrels available, they are about $20. I'd pick one up and see if your local smith can bubba it together for you.
Barrel bands $5

The more I look online, the more I'm thinking this can be done. It won't be cheap and easy but it can be saved.
Guest earlybird

Found a type 53/m44 barrel. so I placed an order for it, and we'll see what happens, and whether they actually have one or not. gonna cost me 48.00 shipped. i'll try and save it! will know more tomorrow. just gotta find a smith to swap barrels. or i may make or buy the tools and try it myself. can NEVER have too many tools!

Found a type 53/m44 barrel. so I placed an order for it, and we'll see what happens, and whether they actually have one or not. gonna cost me 48.00 shipped. i'll try and save it! will know more tomorrow. just gotta find a smith to swap barrels. or i may make or buy the tools and try it myself. can NEVER have too many tools!

Not sure 100% about the mosin design but I think you can DIY.  I have seen them taken apart by collectors to clean off the cosmo & evaluate the condition, and the barrel looks like on piece (?) that came off easily enough (?).  

• 1 month later...
Guest earlybird

Unfortunately I could not find a local smith to undertake this project. So I am doing it myself :D I got the old barrel off, since it was a scrap anyways, a quick relief cut with the air grinder, a few tools and a cheap action wrench, and it was off. Took all of 6 minutes. I still need to index the new barrel, which means I need to get some small shims made, +/- .0150, to get it just perfect. Still waiting on my go, no go gauges to get here before I place an order to get the shims made. Getting impatient on them, I have over 1000 rounds and want to have a fun weekend with it before it gets really hot. Once the shims are done, I can bed the action and float the barrel. Still need to make some new bands, but that is in the future. Still not sure if I want to leave it mil-spec, or start sporterizing it to my tastes.

Guest tangojuliet

Unfortunately I could not find a local smith to undertake this project. So I am doing it myself :D I got the old barrel off, since it was a scrap anyways, a quick relief cut with the air grinder, a few tools and a cheap action wrench, and it was off. Took all of 6 minutes. I still need to index the new barrel, which means I need to get some small shims made, +/- .0150, to get it just perfect. Still waiting on my go, no go gauges to get here before I place an order to get the shims made. Getting impatient on them, I have over 1000 rounds and want to have a fun weekend with it before it gets really hot. Once the shims are done, I can bed the action and float the barrel. Still need to make some new bands, but that is in the future. Still not sure if I want to leave it mil-spec, or start sporterizing it to my tastes.

as the internet folks say pics or it didnt happen ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the worst of the pitting. Hopefully it is viable, my camera sucks at close up.

onetwo_zps0bdb1d7b.jpg

oneone_zps4c947c1d.jpg

I don't know. I don't think it will be an issue to run 1 or 2 rounds through it, but long term I do have concerns it may just rupture or crack the barrel once it gets hot. May just have to retire the rifle and pick up an sks or possibly a 8mm mauser, or something even newer. I can't even explain how po'd I was, where i found it :(

HOLY S***!!!