The Brits?

I've been wondering and maybe someone can explain it to me.

I'm a fan of "The Walking Dead" and "Son's of Anarchy". Many of the main characters and cast are Brits. During interviews they all have heavy British accents, so heavy I have a hard time understanding them?

In their roles, they have no trace of an accent what-so-ever? So, how can they do it? Being a transplant to Tennessee from the North, I can't fake a Tennessee accent if I tried, much less switch back and forth. And...

Why can't they talk in Americanese when they are talking on an American show, to American people so we can better understand them? I don't fully comprehend E=MC2 or the above? Might it be like learning a foreign language?

Just curious on your thoughts?

I mentioned this before, but as I recall English folks have an easy time with a southern accent, especially hillbilly.  I am sure there are some english that will disagree with me, but when I was at UT there were folks from the UK visiting East TN all the time to study the local accents as it was a very close relative to their "Elizabethan" era accents. 

Of course I may be completely wrong. 

The main reason for so many British actors is that they are the best.  They do a lot of classical theatre training over there, as opposed to here, whereas in the U.S. we just put those who happen to be very attractive or connected in movies.

But as to why they don't do put on accents to be easier to understand in interviews...I mean, Madonna and Gweneth Paltrow fake english accents when they are overseas...what do you think of them?  I'd rather them be themselves in interviews, rather than acting.  Hilary and Obama put on black accents when they are speaking to african-american groups...is that attractive?  John Kerry "Can I get me a huntin' license" when he was in the mid-west? 

I should also add that I get what you are saying OP.  I can't understand heavy British accents very well either. 

I remember having to watch "Killer Elites" with subtitles because when Jason Statham and Clive Owen had dialog, they may as well have been speaking Dwarven.

Some people just have an ear for accents. Actors have to be versatile or they won't make it. I did some theater in my late teens and early 20s and had to do various accents. I will sometimes break into an Irish accent and imitate my late Uncle. Have to test it out when I go over there and see how off I am lol

As far as voice coaches go I had one when I worked as a radio intern for a year to help lose my southern accent when I was on the air. It's not too hard.

Guest Lester Weevils

I mentioned this before, but as I recall English folks have an easy time with a southern accent, especially hillbilly.  I am sure there are some english that will disagree with me, but when I was at UT there were folks from the UK visiting East TN all the time to study the local accents as it was a very close relative to their "Elizabethan" era accents. 

Yup, Queen Elizabeth probably sounded like Ellie Mae, and Sir Walter Raleigh talked like Jethro. :) Hillbillies moved into the hills back then and remained almost a "time capsule" to this very day. Or maybe not.

And even then Rick's accent is horrible. Sounds nothing like anyone I've ever met from Georgia.

I thought Rick was a Kentucky cop? Traveled thru TN down to Atlanta after he revived from his gun shot? Not that I would recognize an authentic KY accent as far as that goes.

Edited by Lester Weevils

I thought Rick was a Kentucky cop? Traveled thru TN down to Atlanta after he revived from his gun shot? Not that I would recognize an authentic KY accent as far as that goes.

He was a cop in Keyntuck in the comic (near Lexintgon), but I think in the show he is from a Georgia town. 

Off topic but... I'm becoming like my wife getting hooked on "soap opera's".

Now I'm hooked on "The Americans", "walking Dead" and "Justified" and trying to get caught up and figure what's going on?

Got so frustrated with "Son's of Anarchy" trying to figure out the history, went out to Wally World and bought season 1-4 on DVD. FX and AMC are getting some good programing!

Next thing I know, I'll be spending big bucks for pay per view UFC fights and won't have enough funds left to purchase the expensive ammo I need when I can find it? Yep, this shortage of everything gun related is driving me to the TV  :down:

Guest 6.8 AR

I haven't hung in there on "Walking Dead", but I'm with you on the "Americans" and "Justified", Dennis. Only other reason I turn the TV on,

nowadays, other than watching a DVD. With the exception of a few moments back. Looks like Dennis Rodman lost his bet. We have an Italian

Pope. He bet on him being black. Got too many rings through his skin.

I'm right there with yuns. I wish teevee shows would just use the actors' real accents instead of the super fake sounding accents.

True Blood and Hart Of Dixie (hey, don't laugh :leaving: ) are the absolute worst about using fake cajun accents.

Another thing I've noticed about actors who make it big on screen and in Hollywood. Now don't get me wrong here because I like a good movie and TV, but...

It seems 90% of actors, directors and producers eventually and habitually get into drugs, in legal trouble, married & divorced multiple times, have mental issues, take medications to control this and that, write a book about their problems, appear on the circuit to blab their problems, turn liberal and support and lend their name to anti-American organizations, use guns and violence in their movies / shows and turn around and denounce 2nd Amendment rights? Then prop themselves up during interviews with Jay and Oprah, etc. like their liberal opinion means something to me?

In this day and age, your youngsters are listening to them with ears wide open and worshipping them and accepting every word out of their liberal mouths as gospel.

What attracts someone to pretend to be someone they're not? Is it the "arts" and do they themselves even know who they are?

Got off topic, sorry!

Yeah, I was wonderin the same thing bout these foreign actors. You can't tell on set but when they do these interviews, almost like a flick of a switch.

If it makes you feel better Dennis, I'm from the south and people often tell me i don't have a southern accent.

I do have to turn the volume up when the British accents come out.  We speak the same language but....

BTW, I had no idea Maggie from Walking Dead Is English.  Saw her on the Talking Dead Sunday.   That accent makes her like 3 times hotter.

• Like 1

Off topic but... I'm becoming like my wife getting hooked on "soap opera's".

Now I'm hooked on "The Americans", "walking Dead" and "Justified" and trying to get caught up and figure what's going on?

Got so frustrated with "Son's of Anarchy" trying to figure out the history, went out to Wally World and bought season 1-4 on DVD. FX and AMC are getting some good programing!

Next thing I know, I'll be spending big bucks for pay per view UFC fights and won't have enough funds left to purchase the expensive ammo I need when I can find it? Yep, this shortage of everything gun related is driving me to the TV  :down:

Check out Vikings on History Channel. It is really good. Also on Sunday night.

BTW, I had no idea Maggie from Walking Dead Is English. Saw her on the Talking Dead Sunday. That accent makes her like 3 times hotter.
Maggie makes me think dirty thoughts...

No kidding. I can sense my wife eye roll every time Maggie makes an appearance on screen. First time I heard her accent on The Talking Dead I had thoughts that would make Jenna Jameson blush.