Need some help with glock 19 concealed carry methods

Guest tnb77

Guest tnb77

I just recently obtained my handgun carry permit and want to carry my Glock 19. I have a Bianchi IWB holster for it. The problem is that I can't find a suitable method to carry it. I placed the holster in the 4 or 5 o'clock position where I see most people carry iwb from watching videos. But I'm in and out of a car all day long and the butt of the gun hits the back of the seat and I can't sit comfortably like that. I tried putting it on my side, But I don't like how it pulls your pants out so far. Any help or advise? I don't know if it's because I'm so skinny, not used to carrying, the wrong holster or what? I'm almost thinking I should go with a Glock 26 instead.

tnb77;
You will, oddly, find the Glock subcompacts not much easier to carry. The better IWB holsters have a "tail," extending downward to prevent the gun/holster combination from being too butt-heavy and wanting to climb upwards. The thickness is the same between the two platforms, so there's no savings there. The shorter grip helps to prevent printing, but typically only without the use of extended floorplates.
If you look at a design like the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2, you can see how the belt loops being so far apart spread the weight of the gun over a wider area. And, not being on the side of the holster, allow for a thinner package. Plus, the angle of rake helps keep the butt from digging into the kidney area when worn at 4-6 O'Clock.
Being new to CCW'ing, you will adjust to the weight and size of anything you would reasonably try to conceal. Get a proper belt (look at belts designed to support a firearm), along with a top-tier holster and life will be much better.
I'm not affiliated with Sparks' holsters, but have used them everyday for almost 30 years and love them.
John
Beltman belt and Comp-tac MTAC is my preferred carry gear. But yeah, you'll have to get used to it.

I have a Crossbreed for my 21 and I like it better, just not enough to replace the MTAC for my 19. Edited by JeffL

I carry a G26 almost all the time but occasionally carry my G19. Though a noticeable difference in both, they are quite easy to carry the same way for me. I found the key is with depth of the gun in the pants when carrying at 4 to 5oclock for me. I went with a few different IWB holsters till I found the sweet spot wtih a CompTac MTAC. Its the adjustments that take time and effort to make to find the sweet spot when you start carrying and dealing with holsters. No matter what holster you go with or what gun you have, when you figure out that comfortable spot you can adapt your equiptment to be comfortable no matter what you have. I've carried while doing some pretty hard heavy duty dirty work and it doesn't even bother me if I'm under my car laying on the ground or sittin in a church pew. Just have to find that sweet spot.....

My dad uses a Crossbreed and has a new MTAC in the drawer. He couldn't find his sweet spot with the MTAC carrying at 3oclock but the Crossbreed worked wonders. IWB is definatly something to work with and get used to so you may have to find a few different holster to try before one clicks. Also try different carrying positions as well...don't limit yourself.

I carry a glock 19 or 23 in a crossbreed holster. I wear a Gould and Goodrich belt. The belt is available at greens military in donelson. I feel a good belt is the starting point for concealed carry. I find the crossbreed holster to be very comfortable and conceals the gun well. Also if you order the holster from crossbreed you can try for 2 weeks. If you don't like just send it back. Good luck in your quest for the right combination. However don't be surprised if like the rest of us you wide up with a drawer of spare holsters.
Guest tnb77

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out some of those options and see if they'll work. I think having it angled and possibly a little deeper in the pants will make it work. I actually have a Glock 26 dedicated 22lr that fits perfect in my pocket, but I'm not sure about carrying a 22lr for self defense.

I'm currently using the Galco KingTuk for my 19 and 36. Before it I was using the Galco Skyops. Both seem to work pretty well for me, specially the KingTuk, sometimes I can barely tell I'm wearing it.

I will say it took my a while to get used to having a gun the size of the 19 concealed, but now it feels weird when it's not there.

KingTuk
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.asp?ProductID=4107&CatalogID=7

Skyops
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.asp?ProductID=2761&CatalogID=7

I'm posting from my phone so not sure the links are working Edited by wvglockguy
IWB is not for everyone, I have tried several tuckable IWB holsters to determine I just can't do it. I prefer high and close to the body OWB carry. You have to have a good thick belt. I don't find a Glock 19 much different than a Glock 26 when your talking IWB/OWB, I generally only carry a baby Glock in the pocket and a lot of others carry on the ankle.

to me the belt is the part of the equation that can't be over emphasized.  i have one the old leather guy at guns-n-leather made and it works good for my needs.  family members use belts from manufacturers that they don't have a problem with.  after that, a good holster that's easy to draw from.  sounds like you've already made an A+ choice on firearm for carry, just spend some time setting up the rest of the rig.  also, you'll get more comfortable with any rig the more that you use it. 

• Like 1
Guest hifiguy

Since you are skinny, you may try an appendix carry 1-2 o'clock.  Good belt and a holster designed for it is a necessity as has been stated already. 

Faster draw and it is accessible while seated in a car.  Very concealable with an untucked shirt or jacket.  Not very concealable with tucked shirts.

I carry either a Glock 26 and a 23 at times. I have a Crossbreed for the 23, but the majority of the time I just owb with the Glock tactical holster (or whatever they call it). It was cheap and does the job, if it annoys me on a road trip I just slide it around my belt until it becomes more comfy, or I take it off and put it in a cheap holster in the center console.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I carry either a Glock 26 and a 23 at times. I have a Crossbreed for the 23, but the majority of the time I just owb with the Glock tactical holster (or whatever they call it). It was cheap and does the job, if it annoys me on a road trip I just slide it around my belt until it becomes more comfy, or I take it off and put it in a cheap holster in the center console.Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I assume you are talking about the $12 Glockcollector Sport Combat holster, it is a great holster.
  • Like 1

You are starting with a large, fat weapon.   Many, many people carry a large fat weapon, so that is not a big problem, but you do need to manage your expectations.  Its probably never going to be "not there" concealed (meaning, you will probably always be able to feel it a little as you move).  Its going to take spending a little energy on your clothing choices --- a little baggier, shirts a little longer and maybe untucked, or the like to hide any bulges.  There are tons of ideas already,  but no matter what you do it will always be a big, fat gun that is going to take a little extra effort to conceal and a be a tiny bit more uncomfortable.  On the bright side, you have a lot of rounds in a quality, reliable, shootable pistol, and that is worth a little aggravation to many folks.   I guess what I am saying is you can spent $500 buying 10 more holsters, and one of em might be more comfortable, but its always going to weigh what it weighs and have the height/width/length that it has, and those things will always be "there" no matter what you do, its part of the trade off for having this particular size of weapon.  

I use the same Crossbreed for my G19 and G26.
It was said there isn't much difference between the two in thickness and that is true. I choose the to carry the G26 when I need to be more discreet. There is approximately an extra inch of grip to conceal on the G19. I used to be a 4-5 o'clock guy, but moved to 3 o'clock because for me it hides the grip better. I also use a Safariland OWB at 3 o'clock.

I use the same Crossbreed for my G19 and G26.
It was said there isn't much difference between the two in thickness and that is true. I choose the to carry the G26 when I need to be more discreet. There is approximately an extra inch of grip to conceal on the G19. I used to be a 4-5 o'clock guy, but moved to 3 o'clock because for me it hides the grip better. I also use a Safariland OWB at 3 o'clock.

Zero difference in thinkness.
Guest etnsr9c
I have carried everyday for the last 10 years, and have went through a lot of different holsters. I have settled on a galco king tuk, with a wilderness tactical belt. Very comfortable and hides great.
OP,

I'm 6', 170 lbs and I carry a g17 in a crossbreed IWB most days. I find it very comfortable and concealable but if I am wearing a tighter fitting shirt, I know it will print or ill switch to my kimber ultra carry CDP. That thing blends in like nothing! On the crossbreed holster, I found the combat cut very helpful in the draw for little, if any sacrifice in comfort.

When carrying a firearm while driving, I mean you do need to realize that it is a hunk of metal in your back. I know it's there on a short trips but people our size don't have much cushion and probably need to remove it for longer trips.

Lastly, a quality belt is a key part of effective weapons carrying. Many holster manufacturers also sell belts. I would encourage you to check one out. Edited by Kopis

I bought a belt based on a recommendation of a guy at a LGS - it is excellent (and it doesn't piss me off because it costs more than a holster does!). Look at these: http://www.hanksclothing.com/amish_belts_ccw.html

You might want to take a look at this video, if you've not seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gjUknHqvGY

Edited by MarkInNashville