difference between a knife and a sword ?

Guest tangojuliet

Guest Broomhead

I am certainly not an expert, but I don't think there is any set minimum length for a sword, or maximum length for a knife. It all depends on what the maker/user decides to call it/refer to it as really. Obviously you wouldn't have a sword with a 2" blade, nor a knife with a 24" blade, but there are short swords and long knives that tend to have relatively the same lengths. The intended use and blade style would also play a role in determining how it is viewed/named. An Asian style tanto knife looks identical to its big brother the katana, except for the dimensions.

The differences between swords and knives are fairly few. There are the obvious overall dimensions, the intended use, the blade style, the handle style and relative size, guard and pommel shapes and sizes, and the weight. A short sword could really be considered a long knife, and vice versa. Broad swords, or European swords, have a large weighted pommel to offset the weight of the blade and help balance the sword, a knife wouldn't really need that type of pommel.  Almost all swords have longer handles, relative to the blade, than knives just because two hands are generally used to wield a sword.

To add to the confusion, there are also machetes and daggers that can fit into either category.

it varies by culture and era of the weaponry.   There are a variety of short swords and long daggers that overlap in length.  Typically a short sword is about 2 feet, a dagger 1 to 2 feet, a sword 2-3 and up to over 5 for a few 2 handed.

I think it really comes down to common sense in most cases. I doubt, "oh that's my 2ft knife." Would go over well. If you have to ask yourself if it would be considered a sword, its probably a sword..... Lol

Well, it doesn't matter under TN law, if that's what you mean, anything with a  blade is a "knife", and it can't be over 4 inches.

- OS

Yeah, usually it comes down to those in charge. I was told to leave Walmart once for wearing a 4" knife on my hip because I looked "scary." I had people tell me that Walmarts in FL see alligator hunters with machetes on their sides. It seems it comes down to how it, or you, make people feel.

Maybe it's just the styling technically. I mean I've seen machetes that were about 2ft, but its that a Gladius' length as well?
To me it has less to do with length, than with style and intent. I built 2 13" blades from the same bar of 1084. One is a bowie knife, with a cross guard and sharpened back clip like a traditonal bowie. So I call it a knife. The other has a tip and curve like a small katana (I blank on the correct term) but I refer to it as a bush sword due to intent and blade style. Its mostly semantics, interpration and intention of the blade from what I can find. There is no set defintion

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere
  • Like 1

IMO.

Well, . . . a Bowie Knife has a blade of at least 8 inches (20 cm) in length, some reaching 12 inches (30 cm) or more. . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowie_knife

And, a Roman Short Sword (Gladius) had several versions to include the Pompeii version, . . . which is the shortest of the gladii.  Blade length ~45–50 cm (17.7 to 19.7 inches).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladius

So, that kind of narrows it down a little.

If it's under 12 inches, probably a knife.

Longer than 17 inches, probably a sword.

If it's 13 inches to 16 inches, it would depend, but we're talking only a 3 inch spread here. Call the dividing line 14.5 inches or so and we're done.

IMO.

Wakizashi is the short sword "katana"

The curve is very slight and the tip is squared off etc just like its more well known big brother. 

Go smaller and it becomes the tanto knife.

Edited by Jonnin
Wakizashi is the short sword "katana"

The curve is very slight and the tip is squared off etc just like its more well known big brother. 

Go smaller and it becomes the tanto knife.

That was what I was trying to think of and drawing a blank. Thanks man

Nathan Bedford Forest told his men to send their swords home to hang on the mantle piece where they belonged.  Although he carried a sword he capture from a Yankee. He said they were next to useless in combat and just got in the way when not in use. He preferred a brace of revolvers.  

Edited by Will Carry

It depends on the culture. An Asian would most likely consider a blade longer than a foot to be a sword... somebody from Ireland would consider a blade shorter than three feet to be a toothpick...

Well, think of it this way, guys. From a government standpoint, they don't care if you have a knife, a sword, a pike, a gun, or a club. If you're armed and a citizen, that's a no-no!

I agree with Spots.  I think it really depends on the intended use.  A sword is a weapon that is used by slashing and stabbing with much of the weight concentrated towards the blade end.  A knife is a utilitarian piece that can also be used as a weapon that tends to be more balanced in the hand.  Then you can get into different distinctions based on unique designs in each.  For example, a dagger or a dirk is a knife with a narrow pointed blade that is primarily made for stabbing, especially between the joints in hard armor.  

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

Here is my rule.  I consider anything used for defense , under 18" and with a blade thickness of 1/4" or less, a knife.  Anything over 18" and a blade thickness of 1/4" or more, a sword.  Swords were used as weapons and really have no other uses, while a knife can be used as a tool or for combat.  A machete could fall into the sword category, but really for combat it's a bit on the thin side and can be bent or broken very easily, where as a sword, if heat treated properly, will not, break or bend easily.  Now a good sword will flex.  But it will always come back to true, where as a machete might not due to the material and heat treatment.

is there anyone who could teach me a little tactics and how to use a gladius? I have the Cold Steel and their trainer sword. Just would like to know how to use it if I needed to

I could teach you basic sword handling and knife fighting, but nothing specefic to the gladius.