Beer on Sundays

TMF

Guest Keal G Seo

Keep in mind we are talking about the 7am-11am time frame for going to and from church.

Yes now look at the laws, many of the counties only ban it from Xam to noon. IE chruch travel hours...

From what I've read it's to protect what's to be a sacred day. I guess they feel that people should be in church rather than drinking. The Blue Laws have been around since the at least the mid 1700s.

I am Christian and attend church weekly, hopefully more than once, and don't understand it. While I wish for more to go, laws like this seem to hurt rather than help to me.

Shoot, just make the drive down here to Nashville. I'm never without a 12 pack or two, I'll give you some to get you you through your yard work.

Yard work complete. Kids fed and napping. Now for siesta sans beer... looks like some JD just for GP.
can't buy beer from 3a-6a mon-sat/ 3a-noon sun. Though it derives from the blue laws (blame the methodists too not just the baptists) the weekday prohibition is hard to rescind "in th interest of the kids (&commuters)". At least here in nashville. I know most of sumner co was that way except ~2-3 stores (I think including the one dlm listed). and I think its either fairview or dickson out 40w has a store that starts at 10a sun instead of 12. I can't recall. There may be variances in county/city ordinances. Do we still have dry counties in TN? I don't pay much attention but my father inlaw in KY is always goin on bout restaurants over in the wet county that r great.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
Guest Keal G Seo

Do we still have dry counties in TN?

Oh yeah, I don't think there is one state in the south east that doesn't have at least a few dry counties.

Guest Keal G Seo

Fla. has 3 completely dry counties and 2 dry Sunday counties. As with other states it is just a matter of what county you live in.

Fla. has 3 completely dry counties and 2 dry Sunday counties. As with other states it is just a matter of what county you live in.

Interesting. Where did you find this? We're thinking about moving 45 minutes outside Orlando and I'm curious to know if it's a dry county.

you can but only special bottles

Dave hit the nail onthe head.

You can buy it in Lynchburg, but only in special commemorative "Expensive" bottles.

Moore co (Jack Daniels) is a dry county, but you can buy beer, just not hard liquor unless it is in one of those "special" bottles.

I get enough whiff of it when i pass thru and on certian days you can smell the mash in parts of Tullahoma.

We are looking at Clermont/Mineola/Groveland. My commute to work would be hell but getting out of Puerto Rico will be worth it.

From what I hear Clermont has been taken over by Orlando. I haven't been down there since the 90's but it was still small town when I was there. I moved to Sanford to be closer to 417, which was just awesome to be able to skip I-4, and I don't even want to think about what 50 is like there now. There were some nice non-ghetto options on Hwy 46 on the west side of I-4 away from Sanford, City of, which is still minutes from the 417.

You are missing the real purpose of the law, but Dave hit pretty close.

Its reasoning is two-fold:
A: To discourage people from showing up in church smelling like alcohol and talking like Foster Brooks. (how socially embarrassing for a room full of folks in their Sunday best)

B: To ensure that there's not a run on beer at the store--- this give the churchgoers a chance to pick some up on the way home before it's all gone. ("Let's see, I'll take a pack of gum, one of those pens, a couple of those pocket combs there, a roll of Lifesavers, a sixpack of Bud Light, two of those Slim Jims, a gallon of milk, oh, and one more sixpack...") :jester:

I'm joking of course, but reason A is actually pretty close to the original social spirit of laws banning Sunday alcohol sales.

Foster Brooks was funny as all get out.

Such laws and local ordinances get really strange, sometimes.  For instance, you can't walk into a liquor store and buy wine on a Sunday.  However, you can go to a winery and buy all the wine you want - even on Sunday.  I know because I have done it.

In Loudon, beer sales used to be illegal on Sundays but the law was changed a couple of years back.  At the time, liquor stores weren't even legal in Loudon (that has also changed in the last, few years - but of course they still can't operate on Sundays.)  Back then, there were two wineries in Loudon; the Tennessee Valley Winery and another which has since closed (I think it was called Loudon Valley Vineyards) - both in the area of the Sugar Limb Road exit.  I bought wine at both of those on Sundays on more than one occasion.

I think Tennessee's alcohol related laws might be even more patchwork, confusing (and stupid) than firearm and knife laws.

Even more odd, in some ways, than the nonsensical prohibition on Sunday beer sales is the rule that says liquor stores can't be open on holidays.

Blue laws often make no sense, whatsoever, IMO.  Heck, keep in mind that one explanation of the origin of ice cream sundaes has to do with blue laws prohibiting the sale (or, maybe, consumption) of ice cream on Sunday.  WTF?  What could be more innocent and wholesome than eating a bowl of ice cream?

Edited by JAB