Weed eater deal @ Lowe's

Sam1

Not sure if this was a fluke in the advertisement, if it was a weekend only thing or what but I went into lowe's today to get a chainsaw attachment for our weedeater and they had an advert up that you get a free $69 edger attachment when you purchase any troy bilt weedeater.  The weedeaters were only $89 (minus 10% if you're military/vet), so for roughly $80+ tax you can have a legit edger and weedeater.

The first store was out of the attachments but said I could do a raincheck on that part.  Went to the second lowe's and they were out too, and they actually said they weren't honoring the deal any longer, but they changed their stance after a quick discussion so they did a rain check for me on it.

Anyways, if you're in the market you may want to track down one of the advertisements and verify it was good for the entire week, then head out to lowe's cause you can't beat that deal.

• Like 1
I got almost the same deal last year on a TroyBuilt string trimmer. It is the biggest pile of crap I have ever touched. I will give you mine, it even has an electric motor to start it, it is a good thin because it is the only way anyone can start it. If I had saved the box I would have taken it back.

Not much for Troy built trimmers( when i worked for lowe's they were brought backall the time).

Went to Home Depot when i first moved to Fayetteville, Bought a Ryobi trimer. Never had a problem. Still starts after the first pull. Will probably bring it home with me when i move out before end of summer. Great Trimmer.

I have been in and out of the lawn care and nursery business my entire life. The best string trimmer on the market at any price is a Kawasaki. I can't remember the model but it retails for about $250, the smoothest most well balanced machine I have ever used. There is no longer a dealer in Chattanooga for them, they never wear out and they use the same heads as the newer Red Max(black head).

I was in the lawncare business about 10 years ago.  The only remaining pieces of equipment that I still have are my trailer and my Shindawa trimmer.  That thing has been great.  They are about $400, or were 10 years ago but never seem to wear out.  I used Stihl before I started using Shindawa and would go through a Stihl every season.

Stihl

I have owned a lot of Stihl blowers, they have been great, I just find the Stihl string trimmers too heavy. I also dislike the heads a little. I know some guys with Echo trimmers that have ran for 10k hours or more. I don't mind Redmax but they have a few flaws like shocking your arm all the damn time.

A friend of mine worked at some place that built weedeaters. They built Craftsman and another couple "higher-end" brands. He said other than plastics and stickers, they were the exact same weedeaters.

Poulan and Craftsman really are, probably one or two others as well. Most of the professional lines have very little in common.

A friend of mine worked at some place that built weedeaters. They built Craftsman and another couple "higher-end" brands. He said other than plastics and stickers, they were the exact same weedeaters.
Poulan and Craftsman really are, probably one or two others as well. Most of the professional lines have very little in common.

I wouldn't consider Poulan a "higher-end" brand. I guess he didn't know the difference.

I have a Shindaiwa backpack blower and a Robin weed eater. Been running great for years.

I have a Shindaiwa blower and a Robin trimmer too. I also have a Tanaka trimmer that's pretty dang good. When I toted a weedeater every day I was strictly a Shindaiwa man but the Robin does good enough now. Still I've considered selling the Tanaka and the Robin and buying me a Shindaiwa, lol.

The problem with the less expensive home trimmers is if it ever needs repair (and you can't do it yourself) you're better off buying a new one. I personally run non ethanol fuel with Stabil Marine formula and Seafoam treatment in every drop of gas in my 2 strokes. With cheaper 2 cycle stuff especially it's my opinion sooner or later you'll have carb problems.
  • Like 1

I moved our older shindowa which I love(circa 1998) to the other property b/c of the long fence lines that need trimming a few times a year. Just got a CORE electric weed eater to try out at the house in town. So far it's done great(2 mows in this season) but the jury is still out on the longevity. I went electric b/c I haven't been able to reliably source ethanol free fuel for my 2 stroke engines in town without going significantly out of my way.

I have to say that as a car guy I LOVE being able to weed eat out by the street without having to wear hearing protection. It allows me to hear cars coming along the street and stop weed eating while they pass.(I hate when inconsiderate people weed eating along a road bombard my car with clippings and small rocks.)

Shhhh don't tell anyone, cause they'll find out that husqvarna makes poulan and craftsman, and even more of them use the same engines and drive systems.

Like troybilt being owned by the same people that make cub cadet, bolens, yard man, yard machines, rhino, Massey ferguson etc... They even contracted out the same chinese built engines for craftsman and built lines of Toro's even though they are a competitor.

A good troybilt will last just as long as a good Honda, just like a bad Honda will last as long as a bad craftsman

Went to Home Depot when i first moved to Fayetteville, Bought a Ryobi trimer. Never had a problem. Still starts after the first pull. Will probably bring it home with me when i move out before end of summer. Great Trimmer.

Ryobi is the cats ass. Bought one about 6 years ago and it has run like a champ always. It sat unused last year since I was out of town and we used a lawn service, so it hadn't been run in 18 months. I filled it up the other day, cranked it and it ran great..
I've got a pair of Weedeater brand weedeaters, both of them are the "featherlite" models.

The older one is an 18cc I've been using it for about 14 years & it has an enormous amount of hours of run-time on it, I used it around my property & also to regularly scalp (take the grass down to bare earth) a large RC (remote control) track.

It finally started to loose compression last year (still starts right up and runs ok, it just doesn't have the power that it used to) so I bought another one, this newer one is 25cc & thankfully I have been just as pleased with it as I have been with the older one.

In fact I've been thinking about what to do with my old weedeater's engine, I'm not sure if it would be worth rebuilding it or not since I only paid $79 at Walmart for it, but since it still starts & runs maybe I can make a little emergency generator or something out of it ... any ideas? Edited by RichardR
  • Like 1