New thinner DL's and HCP's from the State?

So I got my renewal HCP from the state the other day and noticed that the new one is quite a bit thinner and made from what seems like a new plastic. My wife's new DL that came back in March seemed thinner and a different kind of plastic also, but not quite like this. It seems like it's about the same as my keyring Kroger/Food City/Etc. shopper card. Has anyone else noticed this?

I got my new DL back in January and it is very different, much more light weight type of material.  Almost like paper that has been through one of those heat sealers.  My wife and I both looked at it and she said "that's supposed to last 4 years?"  which is exactly what was running through my mind at the time.

I wish they would just make the HCP an endorsement on our license - get rid of the extra piece of plastic with the same number on it as my driver's license altogether.

Not me. I don't need everyone I show my DL to knowing I have my permit.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  • Like 1
I'm working with a company that is working with the state of tn to upgrade the computers and other equipment for the tn DMV, if you go to the DMV they will give you a temporary dl or hcp and you will get the real one in the mail 7-10 days later, unless you renewed it online

Not me. I don't need everyone I show my DL to knowing I have my permit.

I guess there is a very small percentage of folks who have a HCP but no DL, too.

Maybe the new licenses are due to a low bid thang or something on new equipment that makes them.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I handle ID's every day, the new ones do not seem very sturdy. They made me nervous the first few times I was shown them, but have come to expect them now.

What bothers me more is people who show a HCP for ID. I ask them what they prefer to carry. Most are not carrying. Maybe 1 out of 10 I guess.
Guest Lester Weevils

My HCP renewal arrived yesterday. Am not very skilled at precise measurement, but for what its worth comparing the old against the new with a micrometer--  The old HCP measured about 0.032" and the new HCP measured about 0.029".

However, for whatever reason, the old HCP LOOKS TO THE EYE significantly thicker than the new HCP. In addition, the old HCP is much stiffer than the new HCP. The new one feels soft and "floppy" and the old one feels like a stiff card.

Maybe the new HCP will be more durable than it looks and feels, but it doesn't look/feel especially durable. The old adage about a reed that bends and survives the hurricane, which caused the tree to break. Maybe more flexible equals more durable, assuming the plastic is good stuff? Dunno.

I wish they would just make the HCP an endorsement on our license - get rid of the extra piece of plastic with the same number on it as my driver's license altogether.

I asked about this at the DMV.  They said they are split up so that the HCP can be pulled due to a violation and you still retain the DL and visey versey.

Try buying beer with it and let me know how that goes.

Never had an issue except for one time at Wild Wings Cafe in West Knoxville. It was after the law was passed the first time and WWC had posted (and wasn't carrying anyway since I was going to have a beer) and the lady said they wouldn't take it as ID. But every other place I've ever used it (served and non served) has accepted it no problem.

DL is thinner  at least as of Aug 15, 2013 and HCP may be by now.   The boat registration is even thinner and the ink rubs off because of no lamination.    It's called saving money! 

I believe the "Class" is on the front and any endorsemnent of the class is on the back.  

My example  Class on front is DM   Class on back is DM Vehicles >26000 (Operator), motor-driven cycles & scooters  So I can operate a passenger car, van >16 passengers, or truck >26000 lbs and a motorcycle.

I believe the "Class" is on the front and any endorsemnent of the class is on the back. 

My CDL on front shows:

Class: AM

Endorsements: T

Both class and endorsement letters are explained further on back.

It's cool I could tear off down the highway hauling a double or triple trailer, having no training or experience doing so, never even hooked one up!

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot