why are you still buying ammo?

Guest 556or762

Adam Smith's "invisible hand" isn't perfect, nor is the concept of "free-market" economics.  These are known as "ideal types" and are just as Utopian as Marx's communist ideal.  

I think people are missing the issue of the monopolist and the inability of the individual consumer to make a fully-informed decision, which is the case in most economic decisions.  There are a handful of people who are trying to monopolize the ammo supply at the local level.  It's no secret that they are making the rounds to every store they can find and using any sort of creative means available to skirt the limits placed by retailers.  This does, in fact, create an illusion of the supply being more scarce than it actually is.  Add into that the fact that many consumers did not anticipate this shortage, and/or did not have the resources to stockpile ammunition.  Add in the actual efforts to pass gun control legislation coupled with the hysteria posed by certain segments of the right-wing media suggesting that the Obama administration is intentionally trying to manipulate the ammunition supply, this encourages people to purchase more ammunition than they had previously.  Finally, there is an actual problem with limited ammunition supplies from the manufacturers.  This is not a new problem, but has gone on for several years.  I guess what I am saying is that the problem is bad enough on its own without the local profiteers making the problem worse by taking advantage of the situation.  I will complain about it, but I won't suggest that there is anything else that can, or should, be done in response to it.  

One thing that the high prices will do is finally get people to limit their ammo buying and encourage people to be more conservative with use of limited ammo supplies.  It sucks, but it is what it is.  If you are willing to pay $50 for a box of .22 to plink soda cans and golf balls, or rip through 30 rounds in a few seconds with your AR conversion, then have at it.  I'm not, so what I do buy and do have on hand I will use more wisely. 

• Like 5
Its a crappy situation but I stop at Walmart daily on my way to work and I might get my 1-3 boxes of 22. Some days I am lucky other days I strike out or grab a 250ct box of 9mm for a friend. I've made about $25 profit because my friends tip. It will die down soon and people will be burned that is the nature of the beast.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1
Guest RevScottie

If Walmart, Academy Sports, and Sportsman's Warehouse would quit rolling out everything they get at one time and announcing to the public when the truck arrives much of the scalping/hoarding problem would vanish. Trickle the product out in order to give more people a shot at buying it and make more customers happy. Currently if you can't camp out you have a very difficult time buying ammo at normal prices through normal channels. 

I've not bought a box of ammo in over a year. I reload pretty much whatever I need. Components have went witch crazy too. But, I have enough to get me by for a while. I don't buy ammo from Wall of China Mart anyway. They suck and always will..............

• Like 1
Guest glklvr

More power to them then if then can sell it for that rate. I'd really like to see the retailer caltch up with the scalper's pricing that way the market and profit magins stays competitive! At least that way the only loser is the manufacturer for not knowing the value of their ammo. :pleased:

Manufacturers prices would go up because in order to try and meet demand they would have to buy more raw materials ($$$), pay more overhead such as power ($$$) and pay more in labor for overtime, weekends, etc. ($$$). Thus the wholesale price will increase as well.

No product or service exists in an economic vacuum.
Guest 556or762

No, I don't feel guilty at all because the only ammo I've sold in the past three years I sold for under what I paid and I bought it all before the panic buying set it.

Again, if you want to call people out (instead of making vague insinuations) then why don't you REALLY call them out...post the links to all the "scalpers" you believe are here (or do you just like to make unfounded accusations)?

Actually Im trying hard to not call individuals out for their shady practices which is why I made that post. Now if someone wants to know if a fellow member is doing the reselling they can look up the posters threads and see what's what. If you read so well go read the TGO rules you can not bash anyones prices out right for all to see and calling someone out here could lead to the same consequences. Just fyi I don't give a rats hairy little #$$ what you think about me, this is an open forum to post your thoughts and have a moderated debate following the rules set forth by the TGO gods. Now if anyone thinks I have violated the rules of TGO or my right to free speech please tell me I will gladly tell you to pi$$ off. I guess that does it for me tonight I'll check back tomorrow to see if this post was edited or deleted.

I stand by my original assertion that this is a distorted market; said distortion created by the threat of government action.  Did the Senate want to go after ammunition?  Not this time, but their attempts at further restriction of firearms further accelerated what had been an already record-paced rate of gun purchases requiring NICS checks.  The rate of gun purchases has been increasing steadily since 2008, then Newtown and the NY SAFE Act lit a fire, and the rate increased even further.  There are more new or semi-new gun owners today in the U.S. than at any point in history, and they all want ammo to feed their new guns.  Demand for ammunition is likely higher than at any point previous - I don't have any data to support that, but I think most would agree that's the case from anecdotal information (and don't bother with "the plural of anecdote is not data" - I know). 

Since every manufacturer of ammunition has basically made the same statement about shortages at this point, e.g. "we're running 24/7 7 days a week", our supply is what it is until new facilities come online.  Remington / UMC is building one now in AR which which will start production Q1 2014 (from TTAG).  Until production is able to meet the demand of both the horde of new shooters who would like to actually fire their new weapons, along with those who've been around through a political panic or two and know to keep plenty on hand, the current state of things is our new normal.

One other thing to note is that Russia has loosened restrictions on citizen ownership of .22lr firearms, so the demand for ammunition there has added an additional crunch.  Next time somebody says "I get the 9mm, .40, .45, .223, .308...but .22LR?"  There's a big part of your answer, with a heaping helping of brand new gunnies on the side.  Not all the new gun owners who went through NICS bought ARs or "hi-cap" (Standard Capacity!) semi-autos.  Many of them start out with the loveable little .22LR.

I hate the shortages of ammo and components as much as anyone who still has plenty of ammo (but no components...[sad face]), but if we get through this mess without more legislation, we're going to have literally several million new shooters who may end up pro-gun as a general rule.  I may be guilty of trying to find a silver lining here, but more guns does not only equal less crime - more gunnies potentially equals more people who do not see constitutionally-explicit personal rights as up for negotiation.  It's probably a stretch, but I hope that's the case.  My hope is that Barack Obama ends up being not only the best gun salesman in history, but the man who inadvertently woke up several million Americans who will now defend their rights as free individuals and disavow the nanny state.  Like I said, it's probably a stretch, but once you take on the responsibility for the defense of yourself and family...it has to be a paradigm shift for some folks.

• Like 2

No, I don't feel guilty at all because the only ammo I've sold in the past three years I sold for under what I paid and I bought it all before the panic buying set it.

Again, if you want to call people out (instead of making vague insinuations) then why don't you REALLY call them out...post the links to all the "scalpers" you believe are here (or do you just like to make unfounded accusations)?

Actually Im trying hard to not call individuals out for their shady practices which is why I made that post. Now if someone wants to know if a fellow member is doing the reselling they can look up the posters threads and see what's what. If you read so well go read the TGO rules you can not bash anyones prices out right for all to see and calling someone out here could lead to the same consequences. Just fyi I don't give a rats hairy little #$$ what you think about me, this is an open forum to post your thoughts and have a moderated debate following the rules set forth by the TGO gods. Now if anyone thinks I have violated the rules of TGO or my right to free speech please tell me I will gladly tell you to pi$$ off. I guess that does it for me tonight I'll check back tomorrow to see if this post was edited or deleted.

Wait a minute. This post was not about who is buying ammo? It was posted to call Benefactors out (i mean not call them out) for their classified prices? I had no idea. Edited by D3vo
  • Like 2

I see.

In other words; you are perfectly willing to use innuendo to impune the reputation of fellow TGO members for their "shady practices" provided, of course, that you don't actually have to name names or provide any evidence to support your insults.  I'm SO glad we cleared that up!

Well, since Mr. 556or762 is unwilling to do so, here is the link to the ammo that I sold a couple of months ago (this was ammo for a G31 that I no longer owned and had sold just s couple of weeks earlier on TGO: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/62394-357-sig-ammo-pd-and-target-for-sale/

If anyone thinks my price was too high for this ammo please feel free to say so and explain why you think my asking price was "scalping" and what would have been a fair asking price.

Edited by RobertNashville

I went and bought an air pistol. Scalpers can go f--- themselves.

Even though I have plenty of ammo. I went and bought a air rifle and pistol since this has started. I'm really getting into it. It reminds me a lot of growing up with the exception of trying to squeeze every ounce of accuracy out of them. LOL

Edited by R1100R

Even though I have plenty of ammo. I went and bought a air rifle and pistol since this has started. I'm really getting into it. It reminds me a lot of growing up with the exception of trying to squeeze every ounce of accuracy out of them. LOL

I'm going to do the same thing.

I got one of those S&W M&P air pistols just to see how I liked the grip and feel of it since so many folks rave about them. If only the trigger pull on an air pistol didn't suck.

I got one of those S&W M&P air pistols just to see how I liked the grip and feel of it since so many folks rave about them. If only the trigger pull on an air pistol didn't suck.

I bought a Crossman and there was a ton of stuff on the web to make it better. It had a trigger that sucked also. A lot of it had to do with polishing up the parts (rough casting/stamping) and snipping a coil at a time off the spring till it felt right.

Guest 556or762

I see.

In other words; you are perfectly willing to use innuendo to impune the reputation of fellow TGO members for their "shady practices" provided, of course, that you don't actually have to name names or provide any evidence to support your insults.  I'm SO glad we cleared that up!

Well, since Mr. 556or762 is unwilling to do so, here is the link to the ammo that I sold a couple of months ago (this was ammo for a G31 that I no longer owned and had sold just s couple of weeks earlier on TGO: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/62394-357-sig-ammo-pd-and-target-for-sale/ 
If anyone thinks my price was too high for this ammo please feel free to say so and explain why you think my asking price was "scalping" and what would have been a fair asking price.

Ok well I responded earlier however my post was removed because I called you a name and name calling isnot allowed here. Now then when did I accuse you RobertNashville of anything? I have not so why then do you feel the need to continue this b.s.? I am done with this back and forth for absolutely no reason other than you want to try to make me outto be a bad guy because I think others buying at normal prices to resell at marked up exaggerated pricing is wrong. I don't know why you continue your assault on me specifically after I have made clear my intentions above. It seems to me that if you are willing to buy at a lower price and resell items at extreme prices for profit that would be the definition of price gouging, profiteering, scalping. I realize you have not sold any ammo of late, I never said you did I will say that if you think it is ok to do so and you think it is ok to sell generators to hurricane victims at double the regular price to exploit their misfortune as you have stated previously it proves the kind of man you are and my name calling won't matter. I have always tried to help those in need not profit from them, I spent several years on the volunteer fire dept, rescue squad and donate my time to american cancer societies relay for life every year I feel that's whats right if you do not arguing with you won't change anything. I am done with this back and forth as you have made your priorities and morals clear and we have nothing in common, good day.
Guest Phizzle99GST

there are only 6 places i'll buy ammo from at regular cost or sale prices: BudsPolice, Cabelas, Dicks, Academy, BassPro, and Wal-Mart... I look every day online at Cabelas and BassPro and whenever I make it into town I'll check the other 3 stores locally(once or twice a week). And Im not going to stop buying ammo any time soon.

But to the point of the OP, I agree folks should really consider not buying from anyone with marked up ammo. I used to buy from able ammo online a lot and now their prices are just ridiculous. At the moment their inventory is going up more and more each day, hopefully soon we will see their prices start to drop back down to the norm.

Ok well I responded earlier however my post was removed because I called you a name and name calling is not allowed here. Now then when did I accuse you RobertNashville of anything?

I haven’t said you accused me of anything but you certainly seemed to be trying to imply that I was one of “those” you were talking about…

Just for fun I looked up the post histories of everyone posting on this thread and guess what! Those that are saying its ok to pay higher prices have been posting ammo for sale.... Suprise, suprise, suprise, if I didn't know any better I would read a little into that. Glad I know better huh.

That’s when I stated that “You seem to be implying that anyone who has ammo for sale is price gouging…” to which you asked…

Feel guilty?...

I asked, more than once, for you to post to links to these “post histories” you claim to have looked up and which, apparently, support your insinuation that those of us who don’t have a problem with willing sellers and willing buyers engaging in ammo transactions have some conflict of interest when we post in this thread. Since you’ve claimed to have looked up post histories but are unwilling to name names and then ask if I’m “feeling guilty”; who am I supposed to think you are including in “those”???

…I am done with this back and forth for absolutely no reason other than you want to try to make me outto be a bad guy because I think others buying at normal prices to resell at marked up exaggerated pricing is wrong.

I’m not making you out to be anything.

"Wrong" is a value judgement; nothing wrong with you making that judgment for yourself but that's precisely where it should end, with you.

I would suggest that you look at what constitutes a free market because I believe that you either don't understand the concept or you understand it but don't like it when it impacts you in a negative way. When a willing seller and a willing buyer strike a deal to sell/buy a perfectly legal item, that is the free market and it’s really nobody’s damn business what price is paid. This ammunition market will eventually correct itself; that's the strength of a free market...that there is some temporary pain while it's correcting itself is a very small price to pay when compared to the alternative.

I don't know why you continue your assault on me specifically after I have made clear my intentions above. It seems to me that if you are willing to buy at a lower price and resell items at extreme prices for profit that would be the definition of price gouging, profiteering, scalping. I realize you have not sold any ammo of late, I never said you did I will say that if you think it is ok to do so and you think it is ok to sell generators to hurricane victims at double the regular price to exploit their misfortune as you have stated previously it proves the kind of man you are and my name calling won't matter.

The “kind of man I am” is one that believes in free markets even if doing so means I may have to pay a higher price for some ammo I want or can’t find any to buy at the moment...the kind of man I am is one who would be happy to pay $1,000 for a $500 generator if it meant that I'd have lights and refrigeration during an extended power outage (especially since the fact that I didn't already have the generator was likely the result of MY lack of planning); I’d much rather have to pay inflated prices for something I want/need than not have it at all and I’d MUCH rather pay inflated prices than to have some government bureaucrat start dictating what I can buy and at what price.

What you really seam to want is "somebody" to step in, take control, and make people "behave" according to your personal needs and moral judgments.  Personally, I'm very happy that hasn't happened, at least not yet and I hope it never does.

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest JeffreyD

No, doesn't depend on how much they paid for it...any retailer can sell the products they carry for any price they want that people will pay...they can sell it for 95% less than they paid for it or 95% more than they paid or give it away for free or they can stop carrying the product altogether because it isn't worth the hassle of dealing with all the people who complain about their "unethical" prices. ;)

As I seem to recall, WalMart (and other licensed dealers) pay a little something called taxes on the money they get from selling merchandise. So these free market economy resellers need to be paying taxes as well. I am not sure if they are or aren't but I have my opinions on it. SO whenever anyone sees the need to buy from someone reselling at a scalper price, be sure and get their name and address to pass along to the IRS. Scalping is bad enough but cheating on taxes is unacceptable.