Do you really need to change your oil every 3,000 miles?

Guest TankerHC

My Toyota Tundra SR5 4.6, recommended Oil changes every 10,000 miles. Went in to the dealer every 5000 and checked, changed every 10,000. No longer a need to change oil in less than 6000 with the new synthetics. Bought a 5.7 today. Same thing. Checked at the dealers every 5000, changed every 10,000.

Motor Trend had an article (As did NADA) a couple of months ago, if your changing it at 3000, your wasting your money. And my 10,000 is not my "guess" thats what the service manual says.

From edmunds, one of the most respected auto publications.

Oil chemistry and engine technology have evolved tremendously in recent years, but you'd never know it from the quick-change behavior of American car owners. Driven by an outdated 3,000-mile oil change commandment, they are unnecessarily spending millions of dollars and spilling an ocean of contaminated waste oil.

The majority of automakers today call for oil changes at either 7,500 or 10,000 miles, and the interval can go as high as 15,000 miles in some cars. Yet this wasteful cycle continues largely because the automotive service industry, while fully aware of the technological advances, continues to preach the 3,000-mile gospel as a way to keep the service bays busy. As a result, even the most cautious owners are dumping their engine oil twice as often as their service manuals recommend. After interviews with oil experts, mechanics and automakers, one thing is clear: The 3,000-mile oil change is a myth that should be laid to rest. Failing to heed the service interval in your owner's manual wastes oil and money, while compounding the environmental impact of illicit waste-oil dumping

"Full article"

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html

Edited by TankerHC

If you really want to know what's going on with your oil, you need to have it tested. Do a change at 5K and sample some. Do the next one at 7.5K and sample some. Then do one at 10K and sample some. Then compare the test results.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I like a company with a sense of humor. There FAQ had me laughing.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/faq.php

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I change mine once a year right before we leave to go to FL for Thanksgiving. drove about 4000 miles last year. Pretty much the same on my wifes van. When I changed them last year they both had about the same mileage. We just don't really drive far (Wife is a stay at home mom and I have a company truck) i'm a 5k mi guy though if we did drive more.
I did a ton of research on this. I run a diesel and wanted to see how long it would last so this was important. All oils are not the same you can do research and find ratings for them all. Bob the oil guy is one site. I run 6k on regular Rotella 15-40. Would run 8k on synthetic. I test oil on every other change with Blackstone labs. Diesel is easier on oil. If I ran gas I would change every 3k on regular or 5k on synthetic. I also would never trust anyone else to change my oil. I don't trust any oil saying it will go 15k 20k miles. To me it's just not worth the risk. My boss has a mini and takes it to the dealer every 25k for the recommended change. He just did his third and I waiting for it to go boom. There's a guy on Cummins forum that changes his every 3k with the cheepest oil he can buy, he's got over 750k miles :)
Well,

I set mine for a change at 7500, however the last change was closer to 12000! I do drive the interstate a bunch, and haul a heavy trailer some ( not much these days). I have almost 200000 miles on it and still runs like a raped ape.

My 2004 Toyota 4-Runner 6 cylinder has a 5k oil change interval. I've kept to that, breaking it in with conventional, then blended, then full synthetic ever since.

113k and no engine problems at all. I have noticed that gas mileage drops a bit in the last 1500 miles or so before a change.

My other trucks get changed once a year whether they need it or not. ;)

I changed my old Saturn SL2 religiously every 3000 with semi-synthetic. The oil was black when it came out and it burned a qt every 1500 miles anyway. Note that it burned a qt every 1500 for the entire 180,000 miles I put on that car.

After changing the 6.5 qts in the blazer a few times only to find the old oil nearly indistinguishable from the new, I begrudgingly increased the interval to 5000. It still looks really good when it comes out.

I also change the oil in the minivan every 5000 also with semi-synthetic. It works out well with the tire rotation interval too.

I just recently bought a used Porsche Cayenne (sold my mustang needed more carrying space) and the manual says to change the oil every 10k but i will change it every 3k just because i am anal and want the car to last forever. I actually just got done changing the transfer case, and the front/rear dif last weekend! I do all the work myself so it only cost a little for the oil and the oil filter. Lot less then what the dealer wants to do it  :up:

My Shelby uses full synthetic from factory fill, I have their premium service package on the stang and it states every 7500 miles. I plan on taking it in when she reaches 5k and having it changed though as that is the first service scheduled for the car

My older car is a 2003 Chevy Impala with just over 100K on it.  I bought it used in 2006, and I have always followed the change-oil dummy light that flashes on after X amount of time.  I've never had any problems with the engine for what that's worth.

It all depends on how you drive and how you view the value of your car. I change mine around the 6-8k

mark. BMW says 15K. They are wrong, just like the other manufacturers. You can get several hundred

thousand miles out of your car, if you maintain it correctly, but that's up to you, not some writer.

You mean to say the engineers they have working for them are idiots? I need that job...

I work for Toyota and can tell you that it's ALL dependent on your model AND motor, at least from us it does anyways. The oil that Toyota sells is Mobil 1 with a Toyota label. The Tundra 3URFE(5.7 V8) motor has a 10k change interval while the 3URFBE(5.7 V8 FLEXFUEL) has a 5k change interval. The Camry 2ARFE uses 0W20 while the Rav4 2ARFE uses 5W20 from 2009-12 and switched to 0W20 in 2013. As for anyone who doesn't believe what their manual says is just paranoid as they have engineers that conclude that to be the optimal change mileage.

Got a RAV4 that automatically lights a Maintanence Required message when I get close to 5000 mile from the last reset/oil change. 

First couple times seeing it was unnerving, but I know what it's for (and how to reset for another 5k if needed).

Use synthetic 0-20 oil, hate the price... and what's with this move away from spin-on filters?!?!?

OOOOopps... wrong place for rant...

Unless you have a 13 Rav4 you don't NEED synthetic, you can use 5W20. As to the filter, they're steering away from spin on types in favor of cartridge due to cost effectiveness, plus the filters cross over to several models for instance; the filter for your Rav will also work on 10-up Camry 4cyl and 6cyl, 05-up Avalons(non-Hybrid), 10-up Scion tCs, 09-up Venza 4cyl and 6cyl, which is a 04152-YZZA1 oil filter. The Tundras and Sequoias all use the same filter with the exception of the 1GRFE Tundras but those are somewhat rare in this region. Corollas and Prius'(except the Prius C) all use the same filter. Prius C and Yaris stille use the old style spin on.

Edited by whitewolf001

My Toyota Tundra SR5 4.6, recommended Oil changes every 10,000 miles. Went in to the dealer every 5000 and checked, changed every 10,000. No longer a need to change oil in less than 6000 with the new synthetics. Bought a 5.7 today. Same thing. Checked at the dealers every 5000, changed every 10,000.

Motor Trend had an article (As did NADA) a couple of months ago, if your changing it at 3000, your wasting your money. And my 10,000 is not my "guess" thats what the service manual says.

From edmunds, one of the most respected auto publications.

Oil chemistry and engine technology have evolved tremendously in recent years, but you'd never know it from the quick-change behavior of American car owners. Driven by an outdated 3,000-mile oil change commandment, they are unnecessarily spending millions of dollars and spilling an ocean of contaminated waste oil.

The majority of automakers today call for oil changes at either 7,500 or 10,000 miles, and the interval can go as high as 15,000 miles in some cars. Yet this wasteful cycle continues largely because the automotive service industry, while fully aware of the technological advances, continues to preach the 3,000-mile gospel as a way to keep the service bays busy. As a result, even the most cautious owners are dumping their engine oil twice as often as their service manuals recommend. After interviews with oil experts, mechanics and automakers, one thing is clear: The 3,000-mile oil change is a myth that should be laid to rest. Failing to heed the service interval in your owner's manual wastes oil and money, while compounding the environmental impact of illicit waste-oil dumping

"Full article"

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html

Congrats on the purchase as that is what I have as well. It does fairly well on highway mileage but destroys any fuel in the tank for in city driving just because of its insane torque. I have found that you have to be very easy taking off for two reasons; so as to not burn through your gas tank but also so as to not burn through your tires, lol. The throttle is somewhat....... touchy. 300_2270082.png

Edited by whitewolf001

The choice between 0W20 vs 5W30 oil has more to do with meeting fuel mileage targets than lubrication, except in very cold climates.

The filter change is about economies of scale.  The cartridge type takes 10 second less to install on the assembly line and costs $0.003 less when you buy 5 million of them. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1

We actually had a guy come in and wanted 10W30 in his 2009 Camry, we advised against it, he beyotched, he got it changed and came back about a week later saying it was having trouble starting. NO SHITE SHERLOCK!!! The timing chain is driven by the motor oil and with that heavier weight, well, she no work so good.

We actually had a guy come in and wanted 10W30 in his 2009 Camry, we advised against it, he beyotched, he got it changed and came back about a week later saying it was having trouble starting. NO ####E SHERLOCK!!! The timing chain is driven by the motor oil and with that heavier weight, well, she no work so good.

Um... what?

When i first started driving i had an 88 ford ranger. Maybe it was just me but my truck ran better after an oil change. I did my on maintanence and took pride in it. I now work for a car manufacturer and their lease car policy is to change every 7500 miles. Makes me cringe after 3000. Specially since i only drive about 3000 miles in a year. But it pretty much tells you what the car companies believe when u should change oil Edited by 1pointofview

When i first started driving i had an 88 ford ranger. Maybe it was just me but my truck ran better after an oil change. I did my on maintanence and took pride in it. I now work for a car manufacturer and their lease car policy is to change every 7500 miles. Makes me cringe after 3000. Specially since i only drive about 3000 miles in a year. But it pretty much tells you what the car companies believe when u should change oil

Not your imagination, it's running better after a fresh oil change. Anything mechanically will run better that way with new lube, especially my bike, she loves new oil.