Is .22LR cooling off yet?

I never thought in my wildest dream that we wouldn't be able to go local, and buy a brick of ammo.

The thing is, I did.  As far back as last summer, I was telling family members that I had a feeling there was another ammo shortage coming and that this time it would include .22LR.  Even then, I sat out to build an onhand supply of .22LR (mostly bulk packs.)  Because of that, I didn't exactly get caught with my pants down - but I am still kicking myself.

My problem is that I was too picky.  For some reason, it seems that the only bulk pack ammo I was finding at the local Walmart locations and many of the sporting goods stores was the Remington 225 packs.  For some reason, Federal and Winchester bulk packs were not as prevalent - and this was months before the ammo craze.  I haven't had the best of luck with Remington bulk in the past (more 'duds' than any other brand and less accurate) so I only picked up one or two of those.  Well, at some point I read on one forum that Remington had improved that ammo so I opened one of the boxes to test it out and found that, indeed, the ammo seemed to ignite more consistently and was even a bit more accurate, at least from my handguns.  I decided to start buying a couple of boxes here and there to shore up my .22LR supply.  Unfortunately, that was about the time the shortage hit.  So, while I am not 'hurting' for .22LR ammo, I certainly don't have enough to shoot as much as I was, before.

As an aside to all of this, I still have to wonder why Winchester and Federal bulk pack .22LR ammo seemed to become scarce last summer.  I also have to wonder if there was some kind of interruption in the supply, back then, that contributed to the current .22LR scarcity.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

I saw that exact same Colt .22 ammo at a LGS in FL last week for $65 per 500 brick - no limit.  I thought that was overpriced until I saw the above CTD advertisement. Maybe I should have bought all he had then offered it for resale to CTD. :panic:

The thing is, I did.  As far back as last summer, I was telling family members that I had a feeling there was another ammo shortage coming and that this time it would include .22LR.  Even then, I sat out to build an onhand supply of .22LR (mostly bulk packs.)  Because of that, I didn't exactly get caught with my pants down - but I am still kicking myself.

My problem is that I was too picky.  For some reason, it seems that the only bulk pack ammo I was finding at the local Walmart locations and many of the sporting goods stores was the Remington 225 packs.  For some reason, Federal and Winchester bulk packs were not as prevalent - and this was months before the ammo craze.  I haven't had the best of luck with Remington bulk in the past (more 'duds' than any other brand and less accurate) so I only picked up one or two of those.  Well, at some point I read on one forum that Remington had improved that ammo so I opened one of the boxes to test it out and found that, indeed, the ammo seemed to ignite more consistently and was even a bit more accurate, at least from my handguns.  I decided to start buying a couple of boxes here and there to shore up my .22LR supply.  Unfortunately, that was about the time the shortage hit.  So, while I am not 'hurting' for .22LR ammo, I certainly don't have enough to shoot as much as I was, before.

As an aside to all of this, I still have to wonder why Winchester and Federal bulk pack .22LR ammo seemed to become scarce last summer.  I also have to wonder if there was some kind of interruption in the supply, back then, that contributed to the current .22LR scarcity.

I did the same thing, passed on the Remington in search of Fed. and Win. Lucky to find 5 bricks of 555 Win. in mid Nov. I split that with a couple of friends I shoot with an we were good for a couple of months. Since then I found some 225 Rem. and tried it out, and agree with you about the quality. Fed and Win. bricks are starting to show up at WM. Still no CCI. :shrug:

I did the same thing, passed on the Remington in search of Fed. and Win. Lucky to find 5 bricks of 555 Win. in mid Nov. I split that with a couple of friends I shoot with an we were good for a couple of months. Since then I found some 225 Rem. and tried it out, and agree with you about the quality. Fed and Win. bricks are starting to show up at WM. Still no CCI. :shrug:

You mean CCI bulk packs?  I have heard that some Walmart locations stock them but don't recall ever seeing those at any of my local Walmart stores.  Maybe you just meant the 'regular' (50 or 100 round) boxes - the local WMs do stock those.  Well, theoretically, at least.  I haven't seen any in a long time.

You mean CCI bulk packs?  I have heard that some Walmart locations stock them but don't recall ever seeing those at any of my local Walmart stores.  Maybe you just meant the 'regular' (50 or 100 round) boxes - the local WMs do stock those.  Well, theoretically, at least.  I haven't seen any in a long time.

The 50 and 100 pack of CCI.

I was at Academy today with my little girl to buy her some shoes. I got to snag a box of American Eagle .22 for $2.19. I was ecstatic

until I got home and found out it was a box that only comes with 40 rounds. What a ripoff. LOL :surrender:

I only got them because they were there on the counter. When did the start selling 40 round boxes? LOL

• Like 1

I was at Academy today with my little girl to buy her some shoes. I got to snag a box of American Eagle .22 for $2.19. I was ecstatic

until I got home and found out it was a box that only comes with 40 rounds. What a ripoff. LOL :surrender:

I only got them because they were there on the counter. When did the start selling 40 round boxes? LOL

I had some American Eagle a few years ago.  Traded Remington Golden Bewlitts round for round for them.  They were 40 round boxes.

Guest BCR#1

I have 7 bricks of the Federal AE 40 grn. "solid" ammo and they are 50 rnd. boxes.

Bill

I saw for the first time one of those 40 round boxes of American Eagle .22 today at the gun show.  I found it strange and confusing.

Same trend as common products in supermarket staying same price for smaller packaging, Grande Meal at Taco Hell being 10 instead of 12 gut grenades, etc.

The .22lr ammunition companies started this several years ago with the 325, 350, 375 count packages, priced higher proportionally than the 500-525-550 ones. Now just translated to the smallest quantity package too, I guess.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest Ditchdigger

Same trend as common products in supermarket staying same price for smaller packaging, Grande Meal at Taco Hell being 10 instead of 12 gut grenades, etc.

The .22lr ammunition companies started this several years ago with the 325, 350, 375 count packages, priced higher proportionally than the 500-525-550 ones. Now just translated to the smallest quantity package too, I guess.

- OS

Thats what I was thinking, kinda like buying a half gallon of ice cream and only getting 1 1/2 quarts.

Thats what I was thinking, kinda like buying a half gallon of ice cream and only getting 1 1/2 quarts.

Or the cruel trick on old alkies when pints and half pints went to less booze in milliliter packaging.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest BCR#1

Walmart In Kimball had CCI & Winchester 22lr today along with 45 and 40.

It won't be there long after the resident marion county TGO reseller reads crossfire's post.

Bill