S&W- M&P .40

Guest Rando

Guest Rando

I may have missed something but what is the word on these dudes? I kind of like the look and feel of them but havent fired one yet( they tend to frown on that at the shows:screwy:) I was looking at the compacts so as to be easier to carry. Hey do they make those in 357 sig.?

Thanks for any feedback, Rando

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a Springfield XD40 compact. My choice was between it and the S&W M&P 40. From everything that I was told it sounded to me like either choice would be a good choice and I wound up with the XD. I got to shoot it last weekend @ Guns & Leather and it never missed a beat. I shot an M&P 9mm there (had some 9mm rounds to get rid of) and really liked the way it shot.

• Administrator

They are great pistols. For some reason, the .40SW versions run without a hitch whereas most of the people who have minor problems are having them with the 9mm versions. It is true that S&W designed the handgun around the .40SW cartridge initially, so that may have some bearing on why that is.

I've got the 40c and it runs like a champ, never a FTF or FTE, no mag dropsies in mine. The biggest problem seemed to be dropping of the mag, if that happens S&W will send you a new mag relaease, if it does it again they will send a prepaid addy label to send the pistol home anf most likley a new frame (this has happened but very seldom).

I love my 40c, thinking about getting another for backup.

Guest nraforlife
I've got the 40c and it runs like a champ, never a FTF or FTE, no mag dropsies in mine... I love my 40c, thinking about getting another for backup.

+1

I may have missed something but what is the word on these dudes?

Well… the word is they are going to take over the LEO market, which means the civilian market will follow. They are American made, low cost and backed by the best customer support in the industry. They are the “Have it your way†of handguns; various sizes, calibers, options. What’s not to like? Try one. thumbsup.gif

• Administrator
Well… the word is they are going to take over the LEO market, which means the civilian market will follow. They are American made, low cost and backed by the best customer support in the industry. They are the “Have it your way” of handguns; various sizes, calibers, options. What’s not to like? Try one. thumbsup.gif

Well there are still several things not to like about it and if Glock would move to a changeable backstrap design, they could effectively bury the M&P line. The few gripes that I have with the M&P series are...

• Lack of a definitive trigger reset click / mushy trigger
  • Horrible trigger over travel from the factory
  • Stupid mag-drop issues
  • Stupid premature lock-back issues
  • Frame droop at the picatinny rail
  • MIM sear block instead of CNC machined

The first two of those are a pretty big deal to me, but I'm quirky.

The next two don't affect all guns, just those built after happy hour apparently. When they do affect a gun, it's a really big deal for obvious reasons.

The last two are minor quibbles.

The M&P is still a very good gun. Not great, but very good. I don't think the Glock is great either so if that helps the comparison any there you go. :cool:

I had one in .357sig, I guess before S&W got the bugs worked out of the models in that particular caliber... it just didn't run right for me, but I did like the ergonomics. I would probably be inclined to buy a 9mm or a .45 in the future.

ClutePC here on the 'board has a M&P40c and loves it. I always bug him to let me shoot it at the range, and I love it!! It's one of the few guns that I have ever just picked right up and been very accurate with it. (That and Disney's sweet Kimber)

When I can buy guns again, and M&P40c will become my carry gun. I'd also like a fullsize 9 for range use.

• Administrator
I don't know that much about the M&P. I don't own one, but the guys at the range say if you get one go with the .40cal. For around the same money I would lean toward an XD.

This seems sort of contradictory. You admit that you don't know much about them but then say you'd go with the XD. I've had experience with and have owned both. I only own an M&P now. Draw your own conclusions. :)

• Lack of a definitive trigger reset click / mushy trigger
  • Horrible trigger over travel from the factory

I can definitely attest to those two problems on my M&P 9. Since Guns and Leather now has a gunsmith on site I think I might take it over to him and see if he can fix those problems. Overall though I think it's a pretty good gun.

Guest Rando

The long trigger travel is one of my biggest IRKS as well, I have a Ruger P94 that was the first handgun I ever bought for myself. I got it because it was the best looking gun in the case( Hey we pick girls the same way it doesnt always work either) I still like the look of the gun and it shoots great but I hate the long trigger travel and it is a 9mm which isnt my favorite either. I will probably take it to the show in Knox. this weekend and trade for a M&P but it will hurt as I said it was my first:drama:. I do like that it shoots great, has high cap mags and the saftey decock. I did like it because it was a pre-ban but that doesnt have much meaning at the present time.

Thanks for all of the input hope to see you at the show,Rando

• Administrator
I've been into other things this summer, and didn't hear about your experiences with the Glock 19. Did it just not work out?

Sorry, you misread my last post. Between the XD and the M&P pistols that I have owned, I only own the M&P now. I still have, carry and love my Glock 19. I doubt I'll be getting rid of it anytime soon. :D

Guest RISC777
The long trigger travel is one of my biggest IRKS as well

Similar to the Sigma's trigger travel, or not?

Adjusted the Sigma and curious if the M&P trigger block is similar or not.

This seems sort of contradictory. You admit that you don't know much about them but then say you'd go with the XD. I've had experience with and have owned both. I only own an M&P now. Draw your own conclusions. :screwy:

sorry just responding to your quote, just saw it.... i'm not knocking the M&P i've fired the 9mm and the .40. between both guns i guess a total of 300-350 rounds fired. and they were flawless. but i've fired over 3000 rounds through my XD's (sub compact .40, XDM .40, compact .45) flawlessly. so my experience is greater with the XD. again not to knock the M&P, there's a reason why many LEO are considering them.

bottom line for me. when i come to a conclusion it's based facts. the ones i have gathered, and also what others have gathered. that's how one comes up with an overall conclusion. and the fact is, they (XD's) were one of NRA's "Gun of the Year" in 2007. and that conclusion is far greater than any one i can come up with.:D