Fake Drug Checkpoint Causes Controversy

Guest Smitty

I don't like anything to do with checkpoints, real or fake. I think it's a basic violation of your 4th Amendment rights and if you turn around near one, whether or not you're trying to avoid it, you will get pulled over. So in essence you are accosted for doing nothing wrong at all. Complete B.S.

• Like 1

They did this a few years ago on I-65 southbound at exit 108, they would put a sign right near the 108 exit saying there was a drug check point in 1 mile. The DEA was at the top of the 108 exit checking everyone that got off. I saw it only 4 times and then they was gone.

..and if you turn around near one, whether or not you're trying to avoid it, you will get pulled over. So in essence you are accosted for doing nothing wrong at all. Complete B.S.

They were apparently doing uies on an interstate, which is illegal.

- OS

Maybe I'm nuts but I think I remember reading somewhere recently (maybe here) that in order for any agency to set up a road block they must set up in a location that allows you to bypass the block. In other words their has to be a road you can turn off on or legally turn around on to avoid going through the stop. Makes sense really when you think about it.

It is only a sign not an actual roadblock. There is no restriction having the sign like conducting an actual roadblock. You get pulled over for committing a traffic offense not because you turn after seeing the sign. All the sign does is raise an officer's suspicion but not enough alone to conduct a stop. There is nothing wrong with it and there is no way a sign violates any rights.
  • Like 3

It is only a sign not an actual roadblock. There is no restriction having the sign like conducting an actual roadblock. You get pulled over for committing a traffic offense not because you turn after seeing the sign. All the sign does is raise an officer's suspicion but not enough alone to conduct a stop. There is nothing wrong with it and there is no way a sign violates any rights.

All the sign does is lie and deciet, hoping to instil some panic in the subjects that might end in an arrest.  It is really unacceptable from a government agency.

• Like 4
I'm really up in the air on these. I don't really think they get to many hard core drug dealers just a bunch of small time stoners. I also wonder about the personal rights in these stops. I really just don't know that there are any significant busts from them.

All the sign does is lie and deciet, hoping to instil some panic in the subjects that might end in an arrest.  It is really unacceptable from a government agency.

It's no different than a bait car, or the TSP advertising there will be DUI checkpoints on the radio/newspaper and then not having them.

Guest 6.8 AR

A ruse is still a ruse. It's wrong to allow any governmental agency to do things like this. Some may think it's funny

when it snares one or two "stoners", but it is still not much of the order of any proper police work. If they have to

resort to this kind of behavior to justify the dollars spent they may as well give back the tax dollars and go sip

on a glass of bourbon and think up something else to use as a ruse.

That's the old Greatful Dead trick. It's been around since the 80s.  They have the sign "Drug Checkpoint 2 miles" right before an off ramp. Anyone who pulls off the exit gets searched. If you keep driving like they don't stop you. They started doing that at Greatful Dead concerts back in the 80s.

Offtopic: Who is that in your avatar, Garufa? It looks an awful lot like Eric Morcambe

eric-morecambe-3.jpg

Guest Lester Weevils

Dunno if it is deceitful or wrong for the gov to post incorrect signs. Maybe they could post a temporary 85 MPH speed limit sign in a 35 MPH zone, then arrest the speeders? Maybe the gov should be required to post only truthful signs? Dunno.

However, it is a beautiful work of practical psychology. Long ago took a course in safety engineering. One case study was a factory which employed mostly women. The break room was on the second floor, and employees were having too many accidents falling on the stairs, in a hurry rushing to go on break or off break. Every accident meant a nasty osha report to fill out. The solution was a work of genius-- They installed floor to ceiling mirrors on the wall all the way up the stairs. The women quit running up and down the stairs because they liked watching themselves in the mirrors.

Apparently the Police in MAYFIELD HEIGHTS, Ohio don’t have any known drug dealers they need to go bust, and they have done such a good job of cleaning up their own town that they will now help out the rest of the nation by moving onto the Interstates.

rollfloor.gif

Apparently the Police in MAYFIELD HEIGHTS, Ohio don’t have any known drug dealers they need to go bust, and they have done such a good job of cleaning up their own town that they will now help out the rest of the nation by moving onto the Interstates.

rollfloor.gif

Yeah, I am betting it is a money thing.  Turn around, get stopped and the cops find a good amount of cash in an envelope in your glove compartment.  Your explanation:  you are going to a fairly high-end auction in a nearby town and really didn't want to sit in traffic at a traffic stop for an hour, making you late for the auction.  You are planning to pay cash for anything you buy.  Their explanation:  you are obviously a drug dealer.  Sure, there is no evidence of drugs in your car but the amount of cash you have on you proves you are a drug dealer - so obviously their department needs to seize your cash and make it a part of their 'budget' (probably as in 'undocumented officer bonuses'.)

Edited by JAB