Nabbed another 1022

This is my new to me 1022.  It shoots at or near 1/2" at 100 yards with SK Standard Plus. 

Barrel: Green Mountain 17" heavy taper barrel rechambered and recrowned 
Trigger pulls crisp at 1lb 9oz
Bolt blue printed
Weigand one piece scope mount
Mueller APV 4.5-14x40AO.
Stock is modded Ruger OEM bedded

Steeltwin_zps558222bd.jpg
Edited by graycrait
  • Like 3

Thanks.  I got it off one of the senior moderators on Rimfire Central who had nearly an identical pair of these. Now I have to become a more disciplined shooter to really enjoy it.  Of course it likes to eat expensive ammo for really good groups.    

Edited by graycrait

Oh Shoot, in the world of 1022 bolts "blueprinting" isn't quite the same as what is shown on the link.  Head space is tightened up, front of the bolt is squared up, firing pin is pinned so that it does not wander up and down like in stock 1022 bolts and the rear of the bolt is radiused for ease of hammer cocking when using subsonic ammo.  Anyone with the right tools can do it but there are only 3 or 4 guys in the country who do it well as a commerical enterprise.  

• Like 1

I would be hard pressed to remember how many 1022s I have had.  I know I gave away 4, sold a couple and traded 2 or 3 others.  I think I have 5 right now.  I used to have a pile of various .22 rifles but I only have 6 now.  

Congrats on the new to you 10/22 man, I have one that looks very similar, except mine is one of the Walmart exclusives with the walnut deluxe sporter stock, 22" SS barrel, metal trigger guard, etc, 10/22's are absolutely one of the really great iconic carbines/rifles, everyone should own at least one or 2, or 3, or ...

I bought that one for my youngest when she was born, but she allows me to shoot it whenever I want LOL.

Dolomite knows 1022s as well as anyone and has provided me a "tuned" bolt in the past for one of my projects.  Mike243, by all expert accounts the Ruger hammer forged T barrel is a great barrel with a mediocre chamber and crown.  When properly chambered and crowned with ammo it likes the experts say it will shoot right with a Lilja target barrel as along as trigger/stock/bedding/bolt vagaries are taken out of the equation.  I have a T that I got from another TGOr and when I can I am going to send its bolt and barrel off to be "tuned."  In the meantime, also considering the .22LR ammo shortage, especially limiting choices in types of ammo, I plan on shooting the T alongside this Super Stock 1022 to see if I really need to send the barrel and bolt off.  My shooting skills may not be up to either rifle's mechanical potential as is.  But then I will know.  Maybe I am just as well off with one of those bent barrel gallery guns we used to try to win stuffed animals at the carnival - those days are long gone, .22 rifles at the carnival. 

HiPower,

This one is staying.  Up to this 1022 I have 6 firearms that won't leave, now I have 7, probably 3 or 4 more.   I have an Anschutz I got from a fellow TGOr that appears to be a shooter, as well as a couple 2 or 3 1022 projects that are coming along.  

Craig

HiPower,

This one is staying.  Up to this 1022 I have 6 firearms that won't leave, now I have 7, probably 3 or 4 more.   I have an Anschutz I got from a fellow TGOr that appears to be a shooter, as well as a couple 2 or 3 1022 projects that are coming along.  

Craig

Sure. You say that now.

You are almost as bad as myself and Steelharp for acquiring and moving your goodies. :cool:

• Like 1

Sure. You say that now.

You are almost as bad as myself and Steelharp for acquiring and moving your goodies. :cool:

LOL.......I also know Graycrait. But  this 10/22 really is something special. I bet he keeps this one for a few years at least.

Edited by plinker4life

I have a couple I said I wouldn't part with too...but now I'm thinking.

I am the same way, I don't buy a gun just to sell it. But a lot of times once I finish a gun project and shoot it some I am ready to move on to the next project. And I just cannot afford to keep all my projects. It is the same way with my vehicle's I build them up to what I want then sell them just to build another. "I think its a addiction" LOL

If had kept all the guns I sold this winter I would have enough trade fodder to keep trading guns for a couple of years.  However, that money went to bills and some other hobbies.  Now I am hamstrung with only a couple of trade guns.  That is good because there isn't anything new that I want to shoot that I haven't already committed to.   The only gun things I want right now are a good adjustable bench rest front rest, more decent standard velocity ammo and a slow scope upgrade.

Thanks.  I got it off one of the senior moderators on Rimfire Central who had nearly an identical pair of these. Now I have to become a more disciplined shooter to really enjoy it.  Of course it likes to eat expensive ammo for really good groups.    

HA! Its much easier for me... 1. It was the first gun I ever bought (I was a kid), got it from a local pawn shop for about $35 - the barrel was really badly pitted from rust. I used to just love to go to WallyWorld and buy  cheap loads and make the dirt spew. Wish I still had it, or at least another one.

Excellent example btw!

Edited by MarkInNashville