The most stupid movie-firearms mistake i've ever seen.

AK's can & do malfunction, if you rely on one for self-defense you should be aware of that fact.

Like many other semi-autos the malfunctions are typically ammunition or magazine related, however just about any thing can break, be it an extractor or firing pin, etc.

They are not as sensitive to environmental factors such as dirt/grime as some other firearm designs, but they are not infallable.

They are, at least have the reputation of being one of the most reliable semi-auto/auto rifles there is along with a Glock handgun. I have shot a few thousand rounds through my MAK-90 and Glock-21 without a single malfunction.

Well, lately and since you asked...

Has to be the DVD set of "Sons of Anarchy", season 1-4  I recently purchased and watching for the third time until we get a new season.

So many Hollywood errors I don't know where to start?

Jemma loading 2-4 pistols in her purse ready for action with no holsters or trigger protection, just crammed in her purse.

With the exception of the actor "Kim Coats" whom is also a MMA fan, no one I've seen properly holds a revolver or pistol, including the ATF and FBI actors. You can sure tell the Hollywood liberals play acting gun play and carry. Jackson (Jacks) carries his in a crappy unsecured shoulder holster or no holster Mexican style right at his 6:00, behind his spine.

On a positive note: At least I haven't witnessed 45 rounds being shot out of a 1911 .45 without reloading and 500 out of an AK-47 or MAC-10 before a magazine change.

I notice these things because I take my eyes of the female candy of course :rock:

I've seen Glock's malfunction too, again though typically it is ammunition or magazine related, but just about anything can break.

Which is the reason why I always add malfunction drills into training sessions regardless of what weapon platform I'm training with at the time.
I'm gonna pull one from way back, at least way back for me. TV show called renegade. The main actor, lorenzo lamas could ride his motorcycle and shoot his 12 gauge pistol grip one handed with no problem.
  • Like 1

Lethal Weapon.

Mel Gibson portraying a small weapons expert yet completely incapable of firing a pistol without blinking uncontrollably.  I've seen episodes of Cagney & Lacey firing pistols with better control.

Really, don't bother watching White house down, run away asp.. visible green lasers, javelins used as surface to air missiles, Delta riding non-160th SOAR Helos, grenades that beep when they are about to go off.. it's so full of win.. I swear they should give it an award.. Oh wait, it will it's got Jamie Foxx in it..  :puke:

Guest TankerHC

Any Civil War related or Western movie where there is a gunfight. They are always using large cap and ball revolvers, (Mostly correct) but if there is a gunfight in the middle of the street it usually takes place at 50-75 yards, there is a 'fast gun" who draws, then fires a single shot for a perfect "target cease fire" either directly to the heart or right dead center of the forehead, followed by a really cool removal and replacement of the cylinder while saying something like "I'm sorry, but he asked for it". Or before the fight "Someone get the undertaker". In which case we already know who is on the losing end.

Not exactly stupid, but a major error. Tom Laughlins character (I think this was his first Billy Jack movie), in "The Born Losers" shoots the leader of the Losers in the bridge of the nose. Problem is the entire time they are having their conversation before Laughlin kills him, he is wearing sunglasses and the bullet hole is already visible.

Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry "This is a 44 Magnum, the most powerful Handgun in the world and can blow your head clean off". Good for sales of the Model 29, but wrong. The .454 Casull was on the market back then. (I found this out after I bought my Super Redhawk and did some research on it). Probably wouldnt have sounded as cool though "This is a 454 Casull, the most powerful handgun in the world". Oh, maybe.

Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry "This is a 44 Magnum, the most powerful Handgun in the world and can blow your head clean off". Good for sales of the Model 29, but wrong. The .454 Casull was on the market back then. (I found this out after I bought my Super Redhawk and did some research on it). Probably wouldnt have sounded as cool though "This is a 454 Casull, the most powerful handgun in the world". Oh, maybe.

I don't know if the .475 Linebaugh was around then but I believe there was a revolver chambered in .45-70

How about the Bond movies where he drops villians instantly with a PPK?  Or Death Wish #1 where Charles Bronson drops all those muggers with a .32

Really, don't bother watching White house down, run away asp.. visible green lasers, javelins used as surface to air missiles, Delta riding non-160th SOAR Helos, grenades that beep when they are about to go off.. it's so full of win.. I swear they should give it an award.. Oh wait, it will it's got Jamie Foxx in it..  :puke:

Does he gits ta keel white people?

Any Civil War related or Western movie where there is a gunfight. They are always using large cap and ball revolvers, (Mostly correct) but if there is a gunfight in the middle of the street it usually takes place at 50-75 yards, there is a 'fast gun" who draws, then fires a single shot for a perfect "target cease fire" either directly to the heart or right dead center of the forehead, followed by a really cool removal and replacement of the cylinder while saying something like "I'm sorry, but he asked for it". Or before the fight "Someone get the undertaker". In which case we already know who is on the losing end.

Not exactly stupid, but a major error. Tom Laughlins character (I think this was his first Billy Jack movie), in "The Born Losers" shoots the leader of the Losers in the bridge of the nose. Problem is the entire time they are having their conversation before Laughlin kills him, he is wearing sunglasses and the bullet hole is already visible.

In Magnum Force, he tells the young officers it's not a magnum load, but a light special to get better control.

In an otherwise excellent Western. How many times does Kevin Cosner shoot his six gun? You get SIX SHOOTS! Then you have to reload, which takes all day in a single action Colt. Not to mention it seems to take a half second for the bullet to get from the barrel to the water trough 30 feet away.

That's 60 feet per second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq3zjTmVLbM

Edited by Will Carry

Any scene where a hit from a handgun/rifle/shotgun causes the person hit to be thrown backwards.  If the recoil doesn't throw the shooter backwards, how could the impact of the projectile do it?

And AKs DO jam.  Seen it happen many times.  Don't clean that gas system after shooting normal Com-bloc ammo, add some humidity, and you'll have a manually-operated rifle.  Even with the chromed barrel and gas piston.

Any scene where a hit from a handgun/rifle/shotgun causes the person hit to be thrown backwards.  If the recoil doesn't throw the shooter backwards, how could the impact of the projectile do it?

And AKs DO jam.  Seen it happen many times.  Don't clean that gas system after shooting normal Com-bloc ammo, add some humidity, and you'll have a manually-operated rifle.  Even with the chromed barrel and gas piston.

I noticed that my SKS has only ever reliably fed brass cased ammo. The steel case stuff will always jam at least once.

Guest TankerHC

This! The worst movie shooting scene of all time! I like the first comment "Stop shooting him dumba__ hes trying to die".

http://youtu.be/e8RwOUTvVHM

Guest TankerHC

Wow.... just..... wow... :o

I like how he's dying in slow motion except when the gun fires in his hand, the bottle falls over and he is hit. Musta had a Special Effect "Master" on set.

Eh... I don't watch a lot of movies or TV shows, but I have noticed some things. Primarily, the Walking Dead comes to mind... I noticed that everyone seems to be able to get head shots with one shot, at any range... until missing beings a plot device... and there's also over-exaggerated and inconsistent recoil... on top of that, aiming, shooting, and making that miraculous headshot like a quick-draw expert...

Boy, it'd be great if people who actually knew anything about firearms could work on some of these movies.

example @4:30

Edited by bubbiesdad
  • Like 1
Guest TankerHC

example @4:30

HA! You have most of what I have mentioned covered here.

1. The 4 guys standing near shoulder to shoulder (Nearly in this scene) walking down the middle of the street while the guys who they are going to kill (And they know they are getting killed) stand and wait.

2. Some "Cool talk"

3. A rapid clean shot right to the dead center of the forehead.

Edited by TankerHC
Guest TankerHC

Eh... I don't watch a lot of movies or TV shows, but I have noticed some things. Primarily, the Walking Dead comes to mind... I noticed that everyone seems to be able to get head shots with one shot, at any range... until missing beings a plot device... and there's also over-exaggerated and inconsistent recoil... on top of that, aiming, shooting, and making that miraculous headshot like a quick-draw expert...

Boy, it'd be great if people who actually knew anything about firearms could work on some of these movies.

There is one guy, on any set he is on they always get it right. Like Saving Private Ryan for example. Captain Dale Dye.

HA! You have most of what I have mentioned covered here.

1. The 4 guys standing near shoulder to shoulder (Nearly in this scene) walking down the middle of the street while the guys who they are going to kill (And they know they are getting killed) stand and wait.

2. Some "Cool talk"

3. A rapid clean shot right to the dead center of the forehead.

Still a good movie and a good shootout scene even though some of it was hoaky.