The most stupid movie-firearms mistake i've ever seen.

I wish I could recall what movie/TV show I saw this in, but the bad guy corners our hero and levels his Glock for a point blank shot only to find he's fired all 50 rounds of ammo in his 17 round magazine. The slide never locked back, the gun goes click to emphasize he's out of ammo, but he doesn't give up...no...he proceeds to pull the trigger several more times and we hear click, click, click each time.

Well, on my P99, you could continue to pull the trigger on a misfire (the slide wouldn't be locked back either in that situation). Point taken though.

On the other end of the scale, I think the most accurate portrayal of guns I've seen was in "The Hidden". Slides locking back, having to reload every N rounds, the works. I think I read there may have been a couple of errors in there but to me, it stood out for having these things which are missing in so many other movies.

Well, on my P99, you could continue to pull the trigger on a misfire (the slide wouldn't be locked back either in that situation). 

That Walther model is pretty cool. Right off the top of my head, I can't name another SA/DA striker fired gun with a decocker (perhaps someone can enlighten me who else made something similar). Those crazy Germans come up with some cool stuff, huh?

However, everyone except Hollywood actors/directors/advisers knows a Glock slide MUST be racked to preset the trigger.

Here's a few that come to mind.   In Terminator 2, all 9mm's (like the T1000's Beretta) make a weak "pew-pew" sound.  

In I Am Legend, emptying an M-4 is followed by full-auto clicking.  

In Lethal Weapon, Riggs takes a shotgun blast to the chest that sends him flying through a plate glass window.  He's wearing kevlar, so naturally he just walks it off.  In Lethal Weapon 3, while showing off old war wounds, he shows that his whole shoulder has been pock marked by a "whole family of .44's."  Luckily, the blasting of his shoulder hasn't affected his karate skills in any way.  

Saw one last night that stuck out.

In Falling Skies, M2 Ma Deuce caused a Humvee at relative low speed to flip sideways.

The way Holly Wood portrays guns, no wonder so many people are scared of them and that so many strange ideas about them come from CA.

Edited by vontar

The way Holly Wood portrays guns, no wonder so many people are scared of them and that so many strange ideas about them come from CA.

ain't that the truth!

One of my son's friends once asked me if I believed "curving a bullet like in that one movie with that hot chick and the black guy" was possible.
Guest TankerHC

ain't that the truth!

One of my son's friends once asked me if I believed "curving a bullet like in that one movie with that hot chick and the black guy" was possible.

Curving?

Guest Keal G Seo

Oh OH my turn! Just about any movie that has an RPG, AT4 or similar is fired where someone is standing directly behind them with no ill effects.

Excessive explosives on doors for breaching and they only take half a step to the side. On that same note, very over and under sized explosions. One more, adding pyro to high velocity explosives...and why is it that just about every explosive compound in movies/tv is supposedly C4?

Guest Keal G Seo

Curving?

Movie was "Wanted" starring A. Jolie. The idea was that if you are focused enough and with the right technique you could swing your arm in a kind of side arm pitch and make the bullet curve...even up to 90 degrees and at the distance you need it to turn.

Basically something to get kids to steal their parents gun to go try...

ain't that the truth!

If you saw my targets after a session at the range, you'd believe it.

• Like 1
Guest TankerHC

The Germans built guns for that (Actually to shoot around corners) seen them with my own eyes at Aberdeen Proving Ground Museum (When it used to be there), they have several different versions that were used, the one I remember was an Stg 42 conversion. I have heard that the US had guns to shoot at angles back during WWI although I cant recall having ever seen one.

Guest Keal G Seo

The Germans built guns for that (Actually to shoot around corners) seen them with my own eyes at Aberdeen Proving Ground Museum (When it used to be there), they have several different versions that were used, the one I remember was an Stg 42 conversion. I have heard that the US had guns to shoot at angles back during WWI although I cant recall having ever seen one.

I believe it is a company in the US working on one for going around corners/doors now. It is called "The Corner Shot". Just a frame that you attach a full sized Glock to. It has a camera on the end and a small display near your face. Some way to control which way it goes (left or right) with a twist and pump sort of like a shotgun. 

• Moderators

I believe it is a company in the US working on one for going around corners/doors now. It is called "The Corner Shot". Just a frame that you attach a full sized Glock to. It has a camera on the end and a small display near your face. Some way to control which way it goes (left or right) with a twist and pump sort of like a shotgun. 

Yes, it looks like this:

capt-jrl80410282057-mideast_israel_us_la

The "original" looked like this:

3454341818_0732a1c381_z.jpg

Krummlauf-1.jpg

In Tombstone when Curly Bill is high on opium, he starts shooting up stuff in the street. He's less than 10 yards from a window and a lamp post yet from the time he fires till the glass breaks is a full second to second and a half. I can throw rocks faster than that!!
  • Like 1

Let's not forget who's responsible for the scientific supersonic projectiles we have today, shall we? This was before Chuck Yeager and Ella Fitzgerald broke the sound barrier mind you.

Forget for a moment the Chinese who invented gunpowder, forget saltpeter and John Browning. Supersonic ballistics were discovered and practiced by, who else...

The old cowboys in black & white movies and shows, such as; Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger and dozens of other good guys wearing white hats.

The .45 colt in days of old was designed to be subsonic, because the inventors were not schooled in supersonic physics at the time? Are you with me still?

If you've paid close attention to the old black & white cowboy movies instead of school, you would have noticed the invention of supersonic rounds!

I won't go into velocities and ballistics because it's boring and I have a 4th grade educimation, but...

Today it's common knowledge the .45 Colt was subsonic, but back in the day...

A man riding a horse forward at 45 miles per hour (MPH), and slinging his .45 revolver forward on horseback like a Nolan Ryan fastball at 100 M.P.H., was enough to break the sound barrier and drastically improve accuracy.

To top that off... Our firearms industry has regressed with our revolvers.

Back in the day with cap & ball, single action revolvers, and smoke gunpowder, they had the capacity to shoot 15, 25, 40, and even 75 rounds out of a revolver without ever reloading!

So, when you think technology has improved over the years, think back to my day and the never empty revolver if you will...

• Like 1

Nope, not American. It's Israeli. Invented by Lt. col Amos Golan.

-Shalom.

Yes but it only curved as long as it was in the barrel.  Once it leaves the barrel it only has forward momentum.  With out the barrel acting as an outside force they go straight.

Also in that design, the bullets broke up allot due to the barrel and fragmented.  Close range only.

As a kid I watched Mr. Wizard with a paper plate cut in half. He demonstrated if you roll a ball bearing around.  As soon as it leaves the plate it goes in a straight line, even though it had curved motion while in the plate.

physics the more you know.

Guest TankerHC

The Israeli Corner Shot gun was used in one episode of Top Shot in one of the seasons. I recall the guy who did best with it was the black guy who p'd everyone off, I think was actually winning up to the point that he outright quit. 

Guest TankerHC

Deputy Fife, in all the years he was a Deputy. only had a single negligent discharge. That day Andy let him put his bullet in the gun.

• Moderators

Not a movie, but my wife and I have been watching Prison Break on Netflix. For anyone that hasn't watched it, it is a pretty intense show.

SPOILER ALERT:

During lunch we watched most of the 2nd to last episode of season 2. Kellerman was going to commit suicide with his 1911. However, the gun "jammed". It showed the hammer falling so really it was just a FTF. That part didn't bother me as much as what he said afterwards. He was talking to his sister about the incident, and said that it was the 2nd time a gun in his life had "jammed", the first was during training for the first Gulf War.

It was mainly the suggestion that "professionals" don't have issues as such, because they are good enough to prevent them.

Also, as this is a great show, I don't want to read any spoilers on here myself.

Guest TankerHC

Was just thinking about another one after seeing this pop up again. I recall reading couple of years ago (Maybe someone can find this again, I couldnt), that until Dirty Harry came out, every single movie with a gun firing ever made in the US, used the same sound track from an original round fired from the first movie with sound with a shooting made way back when.

As I recall the director didnt want to use the standard "shot" so he had Clint Eastwood and some others fire the weapons (a .44 mag) downrange and had recorders set up at the gun, in the path of the flight of the round, and at impact. Otherwise there would be no effect. So Dirty harry is the first movie where when you hear "X" round fire, your actually hearing "X" round fire.

Which is why in previous movies an M1 Garand sounds like a .38 which sounds like a musket, which sounds like..........

Edited by TankerHC