Illinois is finally caught up

Guest Keal G Seo

Guest TresOsos

It's a start, and from what I understand "safe Haven" will apply to CCW'er while traveling through the state.

You may have your loaded firearm in the vehicle with you but you cannot leave your vehicle with it.

Guest Bonedaddy

This law still sucks. I really don't like the part where you give up your rights to privacy on a permenant basis, which I fear could be used on a Federal level, if they wanted to try and any investigative agencies don't have to dispose of any "info" on ya....ever... and there's no civil recourse to dipute any findings. They could've done a much better job with this.

Guest TankerHC

This isnt a Law (debate for the libs) in a Conservative State considering WHICH way to carry is legal but that it should not be legal at all. I'm already seeing ramblings on how this could backfire for 2A supporters. For one thing, as shall issue, those with FOID cards are going to be the only ones allowed a Concealed Carry Permit. It's going to get a lot harder to get an FOID card. Those who have their FOID cards, are going to be scrutinized. Those citizens shouldnt believe for one second that the State can turn you into an unlawful possessor of firearms overnight (California).

The number of permits (%) show what a State can do, even in he face of these laws. Shall issue or Will Issue. The majority of States issue to the majority of applications. TN over 400,000, Florida broke a million a while back. But NY, 29,000. And the left wing Politicians say that isnt true, there are 37,000 firearms license in NYC alone. Wrong. Those are licenses to own/posses. California, under 60,000.

Watch soon and see as the State of Ill takes on the same rules and laws as California and New York.

This is a major victory for Constitutional Supporters, Gun Owners, and those who would like to defend themselves in that war zone. For the left, this isnt over by a long shot.

The Heller case is often brought up as an example of a Supreme Court decision upholding the right to keep and bear arms. It was. That case came out of D.C., yet it still takes up to 2 years to get a permit to purchase a handgun in D.C.

Heller only upheld that 2A in Federal jurisdictions. It did nothing to stop the individual states from imposing restrictive laws.

Watch, laws will begin popping up all over Ill.

Yes, you can have your permit. Come back in two years to pick it up.

They refuse to issue FOID cards to non-residents currently and when I called yesterday to re attempt to begin the process they were unsure as to whether the ISP would exempt out of state CCW applicants entirely from the FOID process or rewrite the FOID process to allow out of state applicants. I have many gun lovin' family members in IL and none had and ANY issues getting FOID cards issued in a timely fashion until recently when the rush hit due the the recent court case.

Not that it's any indication of the number of CCW permits that will be issued but the ISP received 338,610 FOID applications in 2012 alone.

Source

See also-(430 ILCS 65/5) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-5)

The Department of State Police shall either approve or deny all applications within 30 days from the date they are received, and every applicant found qualified pursuant to Section 8 of this Act by the Department shall be entitled to a Firearm Owner's Identification Card upon the payment of a $10 fee.

FOID cards are shall issue as well. :)

Guest TankerHC

I think the Ill gun owners comments about this being flawed legislation is correct. Last night I read part of the law and also some of the other comments that state that:

You have your FOID card or you get your FOID card, then recieve the minimal training requirement (fire 30 rounds basically).

Apply for your permit.

ANY LEO in your jurisdiction and ANY State Police can object if he/she has "reasonable suspicion that the applicant is a danger to self, others, or poses a public safety threat." y (Must be Future Cops down there in Ill). The suspicion isnt backed by any laws (At least not yet) the Officer simply says he or she has a "reasonable suspicion". The law actually says ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OR OFFICER.

If a LEO decides there is a reasonable suspicion it then goes to a board. That board consists of 7 member, appointed by the Governor (Im sure the Governor will be fair about this and not stack the board). 3 from inside Cook County, 4 from outside. All former Federal Judges or Federal Law Enforcement.

If this board approves your license then you get it, if not, then you can appeal.

Now if what I am reading from residents is true, then this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. The appeals processes, once you appeal, your application is passed through 13 different State Law Enforcement agencies. Each one of those agencies has to give you a go.

Maybe this is why the Dems said this is a good compromise solution. While lots of Ill gun owners are happy the bill was signed, others are saying this is a poor compromise, stupid and would rather have none at all than this. One writer stated that this was a huge battle between two behemoths (The NRA and the Anti Gun Groups and Politicians) with no input at all from the people in the middle, the gun owners who want Concealed Carry legislation.

Then there is this

"While concealed carry is officially the law in Illinois, it could be mid-March before a gun owner would actually and legally be able to carry their weapon in public. The new law gives state police six months to setup a permit system, then there's a 90-day application process.

The Rifle Association says that delay continues to deprive lawful gun owners of their constitutional rights.

Newly filed motions ask the U.S. District Court to allow people to carry by next Tuesday, July 16."

I think this comment on Il Gun Forum sums it up in a nutshell

The judge didn't say they needed a law written for concealed carry, he said the prohibition of carrying a firearm outside the home was going to become null and void 180 days after his ruling. There were folks in the shadows waiting to pounce on the GA over this one and they never saw it coming.
Kind of like telling Junior to clean up the mess in his room and he just moves the furniture around.

Good luck getting a Concealed Carry permit in ill.

But when an Ill resident does get a CCW they should be aware that, you can carry almost...NOWHERE.

Pursuant to the Act, a CCL licensee shall not knowingly carry a concealed handgun into following prohibited areas:

• 1. any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a public or private elementary or secondary school.
  • 2. any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a pre-school or child care facility, including any room or portion of a building under the control of pre-school or child card facility.
  • 3. any building, parking area, or portion of a building under the control of an officer of the executive or legislative branch of government, provided that nothing in this paragraph shall prohibit a licensee from carrying a concealed firearm onto the real property, bikeway, or trail in a park regulated by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources or any other designated public hunting area.
  • 4. any building designated for matters before a circuit court, appellate court, or the Supreme Court, or any building or portion of a building under the control of the Supreme Court.
  • 5. any building or portion of a building under the control of a unit of local government.
  • 6. any building, real property, and parking area under the control of an adult or juvenile detention or correctional institution, prison, or jail.
  • 7. any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a public or private hospital or hospital affiliate, mental health facility, or nursing home.
  • 8. any bus, train, or form of transportation paid for in whole or in part with public funds, and any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a public transportation facility paid for in whole or in part with public funds.
  • 9. any building, real property, and parking area under the control of an establishment that serves alcohol on its premises, if more than 50 % of gross receipts is from the sale of alcohol.
  • 10. any public gathering or special event conducted on property open to the public that requires the issuance of a permit from the unit of local government, provided this prohibition shall not apply to a licensee who must walk through a public gathering in order to access his or her residence, place of business, or vehicle.
  • 11. any building or real property that has been issued a Special Event Retailer's License as defined in Section 1-3.17.1 of the Liquor Control Act during the time designated for the sale of alcohol by the Special Event Retailer's License, or a special use permit license as defined in subsection (q) of Section 5-1 of the Liquor Control Act during the time designated for the sale of alcohol by the license.
  • 12. any public playground.
  • 13. any public park, athletic area, or athletic facility under the control of a municipality or park district, provided nothing in this section shall prohibit a licensee from carrying a concealed firearm while on a trail or bikeway if only a portion of the trail or bikeway includes a public park.
  • 14. any real property under the control of the Cook County Forest Preserve District.
  • 15. any building, classroom, laboratory, medical clinic, hospital, artistic venue, athletic venue, entertainment venue, officially recognized university-related organization property, whether owned or leased, and any real property, including parking areas, sidewalks, and common areas under the control of a public or private community college, college, or university.
  • 16. any building, real property, or parking area under the control of a gaming facility licensed under the Riverboat Gambling Act or the Illinois Horse Racing Act of 1975, including an inter-track wagering location licensee.
  • 17. any stadium, arena, or the real property or parking area under the control of a stadium, arena, or any collegiate or professional sporting event.
  • 18. any building, real property, or parking area under the control of a public library.
  • 19. any building, real property, or parking area under the control of an airport.
  • 20. any building, real property, or parking area under the control of an amusement park.
  • 21. any building, real property, or parking area under the control of a zoo or museum.
  • 22. any street, driveway, parking area, property, building, or facility, owned, leased, controlled, or used by a nuclear energy, storage, weapons, or development site or facility regulated by the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission. The licensee shall not under any circumstance store a firearm or ammunition in his or her vehicle or in a compartment or container within a vehicle located anywhere in or on the street, driveway, parking area, property, building, or facility described in this paragraph.
  • 23. any area where firearms are prohibited under federal law.

From Illinois Concealed Carry - As some of you may be aware, we finally, and only under threat from the 7th Circuit, got a CCW bill passed in IL. In the spirit of compromise it must be a great bill, because nobody is truly happy with it.

Illinois Firearms owners and citizens got screwed again.

Edited by TankerHC
Guest Bonedaddy

And if there is an "unfounded" suspicion, there's not a damn thing you can do about it, either. You're just screwed. "I think". Not real sure if there is any legal recourse against LE but it has none against all these "agencies". They immuned their selves. Only figgers. I'm wonderin', "if", they might get the idea to adopt new restrictions without worry, even  though, it wouldn't apply to an appeals or approval process. Just pull crap outta their hats and say, "Here ya go...live with it."

They refuse to issue FOID cards to non-residents currently and when I called yesterday to re attempt to begin the process they were unsure as to whether the ISP would exempt out of state CCW applicants entirely from the FOID process or rewrite the FOID process to allow out of state applicants. I have many gun lovin' family members in IL and none had and ANY issues getting FOID cards issued in a timely fashion until recently when the rush hit due the the recent court case.

Not that it's any indication of the number of CCW permits that will be issued but the ISP received 338,610 FOID applications in 2012 alone.

Source

See also-(430 ILCS 65/5) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-5)

The Department of State Police shall either approve or deny all applications within 30 days from the date they are received, and every applicant found qualified pursuant to Section 8 of this Act by the Department shall be entitled to a Firearm Owner's Identification Card upon the payment of a $10 fee.

FOID cards are shall issue as well. :)

Why would you need/want a Illinois FOID card if you don't live in Illinois? :shrug:

Why would you need/want a Illinois FOID card if you don't live in Illinois? :shrug:

To make it simpler to buy ammo when I'm up there visiting family.  :up: When many of the wal-marts here shelves were beginning to empty right after Christmas I loaded up a small cart up there no problem but it took me nearly an hour to convince the manager that it was in fact legal to sell it to me.

You can't even handle a gun in stores in IL without handing them a FOID card first. When I told the sales associate at Dick's that you could buy a long gun with a simple background check and a DL to prove your age at the local Wal-mart here in TN he literally didn't believe me.

To make it simpler to buy ammo when I'm up there visiting family.  :up: When many of the wal-marts here shelves were beginning to empty right after Christmas I loaded up a small cart up there no problem but it took me nearly an hour to convince the manager that it was in fact legal to sell it to me.

You can't even handle a gun in stores in IL without handing them a FOID card first. When I told the sales associate at Dick's that you could buy a long gun with a simple background check and a DL to prove your age at the local Wal-mart here in TN he literally didn't believe me.

Don't tell them that. They will invade. :rofl:

• Like 2

I know what you're saying. Lived there quite a few years. They have no idea how to handle a ammo sale to someone out of state. I went thru that last April at a Walmart. I just had to show them my Tn. DL and explain I'm from out of state and the problem was solved. The next day same store, different clerk, we had to get the manager to OK the sale. But it was worth it, I scored some bricks of 22's.

But you are right about trying to handle a gun at a gun store, you need to show that FOID card before they even talk to you. I don't believe you can get a FOID card being out of state, I think it is set up for Illinois residents only. Good luck with your quest, but I don't think your going to have much luck. Keep us up to date, as I think you are the first person from outside of The Peoples Republic of Illinois to request a Illinois FOID card.

I say give them their gun free zone. The animals have run the zoo ( Chicago ) for years. Quit trying to save them from their selves and let nature take it's course.

The sooner they kill each other off and burn everything to the ground the better. I would put a fence around Cook Co. and post it with "Enter at your own risk" signs and wright it off as no longer a part of Illinois. Just my :2cents: 

It ain't over in Illinois.  This was just one battle.  Chicago will post the whole damn city.

Chicago can post whatever they like, I wouldn't visit there if I was paid to.(Literally refused to go to a work related conference b/c it was occurring in Chicago that year.) The southern portion of the state that my relatives all live in may as well be an extension of KY or MO.

Here's a picture I took on the 4th of the parade. Note that it is not just a tractor leading the parade, it is a 1/2 of a mile long parade of only tractors decorated for the 4th.

9267701261_47663258e7_z.jpg

When I google "Chicago 4th of July"

this is the first result

(CBS/AP) CHICAGO - Violence in Chicago during the Fourth of July holiday weekend left ten people dead and at least 50 people injured, including two young boys shot in different parks, reports CBS Chicago

Guest Bonedaddy

Got a good school friend who is a luthier, custom builder of high end guitars, amps and speakers, as well as, well respected artist, sculpture and eccentric genius and owner of Specimen Products and the Chicago School of Guitar Building and as much as I'd love to go up there and check out his operation, it ain't gonna happen captain.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a start, and from what I understand "safe Haven" will apply to CCW'er while traveling through the state.

You may have your loaded firearm in the vehicle with you but you cannot leave your vehicle with it.

That is correct....

HB0183 that passed July 9, 2013 (link below) changed things for non-residents that can legally carry in their home state.  You can carry concealed in Illinois but you can't get out of the car with the weapon on your person.  It must be locked in the glove compartment, console, etc. or lock the doors of the automobile. 

http://www.ilga.gov/...DF/098-0063.pdf

This FAQ's on the Illinois web site also address the issue at this link: http://www.isp.state...ccw/ccw-faq.cfm

Are out-of-state Concealed Carry permit holders granted reciprocity in Illinois?

No. Out-of-state residents who want to carry a concealed firearm on his/her person must obtain an Illinois Concealed Carry License to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Illinois. In order for out-of-state residents to be eligible for an Illinois license, their state’s concealed carry license laws must be substantially similar to those of Illinois. The Illinois State Police will establish rules to identify the elements necessary to meet the substantially similar requirement.

However, out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule becomes effective immediately.

If the non-resident leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection ( B) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.