Snake guns

Chris

The snakes have been pretty active out at the farm this year. I leave them alone except for the poisonous ones that hang out where the kids play... those guys have to go.

That being said, the other day I had it out with a big water moccasin using a Judge loaded w/ .410 birdshot. I hit several times around his head (i could see the water splashing around him) but with no visible result. He crawled off, apparently unaffected.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I thought the Judge would be a perfect snake gun, but this encounter leads be to believe it would better serve as a paperweight. Was this a freak occurrence or does the .410 simply not throw enough shot for the job?

Guest Bonedaddy

Snakes are venomous, not poisonous.  And it's illegal to kill them.  Just sayin'...

^That. Only if they are a real threat at close range can you kill'm and even then you still might catch some flack from a game warden if he finds out. If that critter ain't listed on the huntable species list by TWRA then it's a no no. They usually won't give ya any grief over one in your yard, though, just don't be poppin' dat ass while fishin' or somethin. Had a couple friends got ticketed for that fishin' in the bottoms by the Sippimippi river.

Guest Bonedaddy

I've had'm crawl right around my boot while bank fishin' my secret spot. If he stops there, then he's got to go. After I jump the hell outta the way first. I still usually let'm slide. When I was a kid, I would catch copperheads by hand. Not really a good idea but hey...I was a kid. It was my fave thing to do. Go out and catch snakes, turtles, lizards and frogs. I kept my daddy worried.

The farm is at an undisclosed location well outside of Davidson county.

And for any game wardens on this board, I cleanly missed the snake and would never ever ever ever ever ever (now that I know the facts) shoot something that could poison (excuse me... envenom) my grandchild and has taken up residence in an area where she likes to play. 

Always be there. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, allow your grandchildren to play in or around your pond unsupervised! Snakes should not be as big of a problem as many would think! Let her play, you watch for snakes!

Dave

• Like 1
Guest Bonedaddy

^that. At least until they're old enough and wise enough to stay aware of their surroundings. Most times, a snake will leave the area if people are around but not always. My kids were shootin' hoops in the driveway one day when they come runnin' in the back yard, where I was workin' on the truck, tellin' me to come look. Go out there and the damn cat is circlin' a cottonmouth the done come outta the ditch by the road. Cat was gonna keep it away from the kids and was smart enough to keep its distance till I got there, then he went on his merry way. I seriously think the damn thing may have killed our other cat 'cause I found her in a culvert with no injuries that I could see, just two days before this. I didn't kill that cottonmouth. I swear! The hoe just fell on'm. It was the damnedest thang. I swear!

Keep the grass cut short around the pond and remove any brush or other hiding places for critters.  Snakes like to hide and hunt other critters that hide in areas where there's cover.  And you really want the snakes there as they do an excellent job of controlling the population of other less desirable critters. 

Designate a "play area".  Play here, stay away from there.  Teach them to identify the various snakes they might see. 

http://tennessee.gov/twra/pdfs/snakesposter.pdf

http://www.tnwatchablewildlife.org/display2.cfm?habitat=&sort=aounumber&typename=reptile&Taxonomicgroup=Reptile%20-%20Snakes

That said, do what you need to do to protect the kiddies. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 2

Good suggestions guys. I've already started pushing the brush back in that area, I'll get even more aggressive with it now.

I always stand guard, but last time I checked, my draw speed was slightly below that of a snake striking... need to work on that. ;)

I have not been impressed with pistol shotshell past about 10 or 15 feet.   It just spreads too thin too fast.   A .22 revolver with shorts seems more useful to me past "its chewing on mah laig" distance.   At which point, with shotshell in a pistol, you WILL shoot yourself in the foot, literally.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1
Guest Bonedaddy

Circuit Judge, just sayin'....Well, only if it's within' 15- 20 yds, maybe. Been thankin' of gettin' one just for in the house (loaded with 4 shot magnums) and when I can do some close up tree rat huntin'. I always hunt with 7 or 8 shot, anyway, to keep from tearin'm up, so within' 20 yds, I should be good and can have 4 fast follow up shots ta boot in case the thang thinks he can still make it outta there.

7mm mag will throw a big Eastern Diamondback shot at end if barrel about 15-20 feet straight up. Flailing about, one may think "oh poop, what if his head's still functional? He may land on me! I better run like a girl real fast!"

It's a most effective snake killer though. Just not very easy to holster and carry all day Edited by JWC
  • Like 1