What bullets do you like for plinking?

I'm starting to run low on both 9mm and 45 bullets, so I've been looking for what to buy next. Who do you guys buy from for your plinking supplies? I've been leaning towards lead since its so much cheaper, but not sure who makes decent stuff. I've found www.snscasting.com which looks pretty good, but want to hear from some others on where they source their stuff and what you might recommend.

I'm not ready to get not casting yet, but I know that's the ultimate answer :)

Thanks!
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

I just buy whatever is fairly cheap within certain parameters, but haven't bought any bullets for a long time, still got a fair number of em. When available and not too expensive, I like Rainier soft lead plated round nose 124 gn for 9mm. At times, those don't seems significantly more expensive than lead. Or to put it another way, the times in the past where bullets were so hard to find that I considered buying lead, the lead bullets actually in stock and ready to ship were priced higher than my usual buying price point on rainier 124 gn plated round nose. I like the rainier 124 gn flat point or hollow point just as good, and sometimes the price is about the same on any. The problem with the shape of the hollow points, is that they have to be loaded to near-max oal to feed good.

Right before the election, MidwayUSA had a real low price on 124 gn jacketed Remington JHP in boxes of 2000. They must have been sitting in a damp warehouse for awhile because they are "slightly tarnished" not-shiny, but no green or corrosion either. But that was a luck-up, about as cheap as rainier. The only problem with those is the psychological problem that they seem "almost too nice" to use for plinking, though they were cheap enough to be plinking bullets.

Guest Lester Weevils

Not intentionally trying to be a nerd....

Hadn't gone shopping lately, but according to what Midwayusa claims to have in stock today--

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=4&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=6264&statuses=In%20Stock

They have 500 Rainier plated round nose 124 gn for $58, and 500 Rainier 115 gn plated round nose for $51.

The cheapest they show in stock for lead is Hunters Supply 115 gn and 125 gn, hard-cast, for $46 and $47 respectively.

So maybe that is a lot higher than what other places have in stock nowadays, but I'd just as soon pay another few bucks and get the plated bullets, which don't seem to lead my pistol barrels at all, and are all pretty close to the rated weight and diameter every time I've checked, and seem more accurate than I am.

Guest Lester Weevils

I've been happy with falcon bullets here in tn. Appx $88 per 1000 delivered.

Ran through 1000 115 gr and 500 147 gr. No problems.

That is a great price!

If I don't have time to cast I typically buy from mastercast, my relatives in SoIL turned me on to them and since they are 5 min from the family up there I just pick them up when I'm up there to save the shipping. I have been happy with the berry's plated in the past as well as zero's when I can get decent prices on them.

I know after I shoot them I will never see them again, I shoot a lot, so all I ask is that they are accurate and under .09 ea for 45acp. there are plenty of casters that meet that need. Plated and jacketed are just not in the budget, and most ain`t as accurate as the cast for range work.    

I've gone through about 2000 9mm 147 gr LFP from [url=http://www.bslbullet.com/]BSL[/url] so far this year, and have another 500 range ready. But it looks like Buddy isn't accepting orders at this time.

They are (were) $72.00/1000 delivered. Good quality and Buddy seems to be a good guy.

I just picked up 1000 rds of 147gr LFP from [url=http://www.falconbullets.com/] Falcon Bullets[/url] for $86.00/1000 (includes TN sales tax and shipping). They look great, but I haven't loaded and shot any just yet.

Good Luck.    

:hat:

I have been shooting Rainer and Powerbond plated in my 9mm.
Also, Rocky Mountain Reloading has good prices on plated, 1k shipped for $95. I haven't shot these yet but they look good and heard great things.
Getting ready to try some Falcon Bullets and maybe other cast, but am powder coating per the other thread.
Guest Lester Weevils

Those Black Bullets do look interesting and the price is certainly right. Reading the instructions, looks like the main thing to beware is don't shave the plastic on seating, and don't over crimp. Doesn't look too awfully complicated.