Where to get a Chinese Mosin?T53 (M44) 7.62x54R

Who has any Chinese T53(M44) rifles in stock at a good price?Either a gun shop,pawn shop or distributor .Or maybe a private sale.I have some Russians, but think I'd like a Chinese too. Edited by jeff43
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd use a little caution buying a T-53 sight unseen, because they're often a total crapshoot on condition, and I don't trust someone to just "pick a good one" for a mail order purchase. The Chinese usually oiled the buttstocks, but didn't use any other laqcuer, varnish or other finishing agents. Consequently, most of the T-53s I've seen in the past year have been in extremely rough condition, with very poor rough finishes-- we're talking splinter city-- with lots of dings & gouges in the wood. A whole bunch of them need re-crowning, and the bore wear is sometimes suspect.  And I haven't seen one yet that had matching serial numbers, which means that many were probably arsenal re-assemblies from parts bins. That in itself is not necessarily a bad thing, but if the bolt number and the barrel/chamber number don't match up, I'd highly recommend checking the both the headspace clearance and the firing pin protrusion before firing the first shot.

I've seen plenty of them at shows, but haven't found one I'd take home yet. I don't expect them to be perfect by any means, but I don't intend to spend money on a "wallhanger" either. Caveat Emptor.

Edited by tartanphantom

I'd use a little caution buying a T-53 sight unseen, because they're often a total crapshoot on condition, and I don't trust someone to just "pick a good one" for a mail order purchase. The Chinese usually oiled the buttstocks, but didn't use any other laqcuer, varnish or other finishing agents. Consequently, most of the T-53s I've seen in the past year have been in extremely rough condition, with very poor rough finishes-- we're talking splinter city-- with lots of dings & gouges in the wood. A whole bunch of them need re-crowning, and the bore wear is sometimes suspect.  And I haven't seen one yet that had matching serial numbers, which means that many were probably arsenal re-assemblies from parts bins. That in itself is not necessarily a bad thing, but if the bolt number and the barrel/chamber number don't match up, I'd highly recommend checking the both the headspace clearance and the firing pin protrusion before firing the first shot.

I've seen plenty of them at shows, but haven't found one I'd take home yet. I don't expect them to be perfect by any means, but I don't intend to spend money on a "wallhanger" either. Caveat Emptor.

Very sage advise here. ^^^

I've bought a total of four T-53's since January using my C&R none had matching numbers of course. Luckily the headspace was in spec on all 4 of them. One of the worst looking ones was the one I paid to have hand-picked. Ironically, it's the best shooter, though.

Sadly the one I sanded down, painstakingly applied a 16 coats of BLO, and reblued is the worst shooter of the bunch. This is despite having a beautiful bore and crown. I'm hoping it just needs the sights adjusted.

• 2 months later...

Well, I decided to try out a couple of these from J&G Sales and I'm pretty happy with what I received. I paid extra for a nice bore on both of them and that is what I got. The metal is also very good...no rust that I can see, but I haven't taken them apart yet. The metal on the one with the worst stock is really nice...go figure.

I expected that the stocks would be pretty ragged, and they are, but I've seen much worse. Overall, for the cost, I'm pretty happy. Now I've got a couple of stocks to work on to try and get them to look as good as the metal or at least a little better than they are.

Anyway, here are a few pics for anyone considering ordering one...not sure if you'd get a better stock if you paid for hand select on appearance or not. I was more concerned about the bore, figuring that if the bore was in good shape then the rest of the rifle would probably be ok too. Sorry, didn't take any bore pics, but I was very excited when I looked down the bores with the sunshine reflecting up through them.  :D

2pyvuqx.jpg

nygpib.jpg

Those look nice for T53s. Good score. Stock up on them now while they're available!

+1 on the condition for T53's.  Apparently, the Chinese spent most of their down time beating the hell out of their stocks...

I don't think the latest bunch that have been sold came directly from China.  Seems like I've read or heard a number of different comments that indicate that these may have come from Albania...but who knows where they came from. Anyway, the point being that it may have been someone other than the Chinese that beat the hell out of these stocks.  :shrug:

I don't think the latest bunch that have been sold came directly from China.  Seems like I've read or heard a number of different comments that indicate that these may have come from Albania...but who knows where they came from. Anyway, the point being that it may have been someone other than the Chinese that beat the hell out of these stocks.  :shrug:

I've heard that too. 

It's my understanding that we can't get imports straight from China. So, that would make sense if they came from Albania. 

The last T53 I bought was all matching!  :yum:

I bought one from a member here and am very pleased with it.It has good bluing ,and the stock has the usual dings on it.The stock is in really good shape compare to some of the Chinese stocks I've seen.I do like them with some character though.I don't care for the really slick ones,this one has a lot of markings all over it.Shoots great too!Didn't want to give the person away that I got it from unless he wants to chime in.
Jeff

I bought one from a member here and am very pleased with it.It has good bluing ,and the stock has the usual dings on it.The stock is in really good shape compare to some of the Chinese stocks I've seen.I do like them with some character though.I don't care for the really slick ones,this one has a lot of markings all over it.Shoots great too!Didn't want to give the person away that I got it from unless he wants to chime in.
Jeff

Somehow I feel like that T53 was once mine...if I'm thinking of who got it from is correct..