anybody use a Roku or other streaming device?

I've been thinking about getting something like this and wanted to know some good opinions. I've read a number of reviews but seems like some really like certain models and others a real problem with them.

I'm currently just getting OTA with the local channels in Middle TN. Don't want to pay for cable or dish and thought this might be worth a shot. So, anyone with experience would be helpful.

How much of the free content is really any good? And how much and what subscription services allow fairly new run movies and TV series?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We cut cable a while ago.  Have been using Roku since it was released and still use an original roku in one room. Best streaming device, beats out internet capable DVD's, smart TV's.... for simplicity.  Mostly stream netflix, but also an amazon prime member. The free Roku channels are like watching random videos on internet. The most of the good content is on the internet if you want to find it.   Enjoy NASA TV and a few others but most are internet based blog like shows.  I speak english, so avoid the foreign channels.  90% of time we stream neflix.  IMAO, don't spend a fortune on it,  get the cheap one.  Unless you want to play angry birds or listen to audio from remote the 1080p is not really supported unless you pay 6 bucks for amazon movies and comcast isn't throttling your bandwidth.  netflix has very few 1080p listings and comcast has yet to sign up for open connect because they are in competition with them.  netflix is worth the 9 bucks a month.

netflix will limit you to two streams at a time, if you try to stream three devices at once you need to spend another 9 bucks a month.  

I'm watching nova right now via netflix

Edited by ohell

Okay, I have have owned 2 different brands (Roku and Sony) and have used others that my parents and in-laws have. I would make and plea with you to steer clear of the Sony box, unless they have changed or updated things in the last 12 months it is terrible! The Roku HD that we have is really good and it is about 3 years old so i'm sure there have been updates (for better or for worse?). We are currently using my father in laws streaming box on our main TV and I really like it so far but i'm in bed so i'll check the brand for you in the morning and report back. Heres the real issue to take into consideration when choosing, they will all stream and do so similarly but where they differ from each other is how they build your different lists. All will have a "que" where you can place certain streaming content that you would like to watch later but they will also keep track of what you watch and make suggestions for you based on what you have watched and how/if you have rated it. Some do a much better job than others and Roku does very well. Some such as the Sony are a real pain to navigate but the Roku seems to be one of the best and has a simple remote. I'm getting to tired to offer good feedback but I willl add more tomorrow.

nice thread,  but don't get sucked into the appleTV unless paying for videos from your itunes account is important.  you would be better off spending a few hundred more for a mac mini as a HTPC and watching hickok45 on the big screen.  i'll surf the net in the apple ecosphere but not subjecting myself to their ecosphere for my tv content. 

Edited by ohell
I use the roku 3 hd. I will say unless you have Hulu plus or amazon prime it may not be worth it for you. But since I have both I absolutely love it. I actually use my phone as the remote although the remote with the roku is pretty cool (it has a headphone jack so you can watch whatever without bugging anyone else).
There are some free movie apps where you do not have to pay a thing but a lot of the movies are b movies, or older movies.
I still have epb tv but I got tired of hooking up the laptop or tablet to the tv in order to rent a movie or catch up something on Hulu.
The quality is very good on an hd tv. I have Comcast internet and the shows or movies load within 5-15 seconds.
Could I cut the epb tv at this point ? No because the roku does not begin to replace it, could I reduce what channels I get now ? Yes I definitely could. And that could pay for my prime and plus subscriptions.

So if I buy an $8 sub to netflix is all their content included or is it more for certain things? I really don't want to spend more than about 10 bucks a month for this sort of thing. I'm just cheap that way. I'd really be satisfied with access to old movies, TV shows if that could be had for free.

I did have amazon prime at one point for the free 2 day shipping, and might convince myself to sign back up for that with the streaming as a bonus. Seems like there was still some added costs per view on most of their titles as I remember.

nice thread,  but don't get sucked into the appleTV unless paying for videos from your itunes account is important.  you would be better off spending a few hundred more for a mac mini as a HTPC and watching hickok45 on the big screen.  i'll surf the net in the apple ecosphere but not subjecting myself to their ecosphere for my tv content. 

The Apple TV has the best interface of the bunch, but the roku is the better pick for someone not already invested in apple products. The roku has a great selection of video for what it costs but I believe the chromecast could well knock it off it's best of the low budget roost, I'll let you know a few days after it gets here.

So if I buy an $8 sub to netflix is all their content included or is it more for certain things? I really don't want to spend more than about 10 bucks a month for this sort of thing. I'm just cheap that way. I'd really be satisfied with access to old movies, TV shows if that could be had for free.

I did have amazon prime at one point for the free 2 day shipping, and might convince myself to sign back up for that with the streaming as a bonus. Seems like there was still some added costs per view on most of their titles as I remember.

Netflix is all inclusive of their library for the $8 but much of it is older titles, amazon prime has quite a bit free for the members but newer content is available for purchase. Hulu is of much less use if you have OTA as most of it's shows are available OTA.

Guest 6.8 AR

We killed our cable TV last month and only kept the internet. Roku has just about everything on it we tend to

want to watch. I just got completely tired of TV. Roku is fine.

Guest TankerHC

I did the same (Cut cable) about a year and a half ago. Only thing needed is the streaming, and for DVR's a Hauppage Digital Recording device (About 80 bucks) to permanently replace your DVR, and an OTA antennae to get your qualcomm OTA channels. No need for cable anymore, just net.

BTW, having worked in management and engineering in the Cable business, yes the Cable Company always gets blamed for the high prices, but I can tell you for a fact, I used to do the weekly numbers and have been to those meetings, for blame for prices, add in the FCC, the Network requirements, Congress, AND YOUR LOCAL POLITICIANS.

I cut cable as soon as cable internet was available where I was living in Lincoln county, TN. I got a PS3 and then streamed Netflix and watched the free Hulu channel. Dropped the netflix dvd delivery subscription soon as was laid off ( had to keep entertained somehow).

Guest TankerHC

I cut cable as soon as cable internet was available where I was living in Lincoln county, TN. I got a PS3 and then streamed Netflix and watched the free Hulu channel. Dropped the netflix dvd delivery subscription soon as was laid off ( had to keep entertained somehow).

You really dont even need Netflix or Hulu Plus any more. You can get Crackle for free, same movies as Netflix, only difference is the commercials. And for 67 bucks a year and Amazon prime account gets you TV and Movies with no commercials.

Plus with Prime you get free two day shipping on what you buy (Most of it), free ebooks, and some other things.

First year I used prime must have saved 500 bucks on shipping alone.

Edited by TankerHC
Guest Keal G Seo

Ok here is the deal with all of it.

Netflix= Mostly older movies and semi-recent TV with 1-2 exclusive (produced for Netflix) TV shows.
Amazon= Same as Netflix without exclusives but you get some PPV options for stuff that isn't on the system yet and new releases.
Hulu= Free OTA with very little else.

As for the streaming devices...all a waste of money IMHO. Take the Roku for instance $99 for something that does what your computer already does and possibly your TV if it is internet connected. While my TV is internet connected and has Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu and YouTube built in, I find it much easier to just connect the computer to it and use it as a monitor. So for the cost of a cheap HDMI cord (about $1 a foot) you can get anything you can get on your computer...including the questionable sites like projectfreetv and movies4k. Now you may say "What if I am watching TV and someone wants to use the computer?". That is fine, Windows can set up for dual screen so your TV or movie can be full screen on the TV as a second monitor while they surf on the first (primary) monitor.

Wanna go all out? Drop about 150-300 on a tower from Wally World and set it up for sole use on the TV with a wireless keyboard and touchpad.

I built a PC and attached it to my entertainment center. There are PC cases available that look very similar to other A/V equipment, so it fits right in with the rest of my stuff. I got a video card that has HDMI out and it connects right into my stereo, which connects to the TV. With a wireless card, I can browse the Internet and play content from most broadcast station (ABC, NBC, etc.) Most content looks pretty good, but some is a little over compressed. It is a pain to browse and find the show, however.

There are several applications that are available for free that you can use to stream content to the PC that makes it a little easier. I use XBMC (http://xbmc.org/), which does a lot right out of the box, but there are a bunch of add-ons that you can load that will get you even more channels.So far, I have been able to find every show I wanted to watch.

On a PC, you can also install the NetFlix app, use Hulu, Amazon, Boxee. It kind of opens up a lot more than limiting yourself to what one proprietary box can do.

Guest TankerHC

Netflix isnt just older movies. Right now they have 9 series up for Emmy Award contention.

Hulu is not free, only the garbage is free. You get a lot more for 6 bucks a month. Hulu, if by OTA meaning over the air, is not over the air.

No need for a dedicated entertainment computer, a Hauppage for 80 bucks hooked to your laptop when you need it will do the same thing. Plus you have to buy a PVR or decent TV card for an Entertainment computer to really be an entertainment computer.

Roku doesnt just stream the basic streaming channels. There are something like 400 channels on Roku with tons of free movies, series, documentary channels, shooting channels, NRA, fishing, racing, tech channels and a lot more.

Amazon has really recent movies and series contracted to them that you will not find on others like Netflix and Hulu.

To have a compete setup, need to buy a 30 dollar OTA antennae. Qualcomm channels are broadcast almost everywhere, and you will get all off the Networks and subnetwork stations free.

Here is one other thing that most people dont know. There is a must carry law and has been around for a long time. If you have Cable Net service, chances are you still have TV even if you shut everything else off. Cable companies dont want to lose customers by not carrying local channels. So under the must carry laws and the dual carry laws, if a local station wants thier signal carried, cable has to carry it. If you have a digital signal coming through (internet) QAM channels ride with it. You will need a TV with a built in tuner (Most modern TV's) but can use analog TVs if they havent yet switched. Plug your cable in and run your channel scan. Should get between 20 and 40 channels, no antennae necessary. If it works, buy a pass through splitter from walmart (0-1005+) and you have TV (Crystal clear HD) and internet.

Here in Dayton I have 34 channels.

I owned a Roku once, until I figured out my blu ray had the same options and abilities, and if you are Amazon Prime member, they have a very similar service to Netflix free as a prime member.  I also stream my Prime free movies directly from my PC to my TV.  My TV is a 3rd monitor.   We are seriously considering disconnecting dish.

Guest Keal G Seo

Netflix isnt just older movies. Right now they have 9 series up for Emmy Award contention.

Hulu is not free, only the garbage is free. You get a lot more for 6 bucks a month. Hulu, if by OTA meaning over the air, is not over the air.

No need for a dedicated entertainment computer, a Hauppage for 80 bucks hooked to your laptop when you need it will do the same thing. Plus you have to buy a PVR or decent TV card for an Entertainment computer to really be an entertainment computer.

Roku doesnt just stream the basic streaming channels. There are something like 400 channels on Roku with tons of free movies, series, documentary channels, shooting channels, NRA, fishing, racing, tech channels and a lot more.

Amazon has really recent movies and series contracted to them that you will not find on others like Netflix and Hulu.

Netflix is older movies...usually at least a year or two. As for TV shows that is why said "semi-recent" meaning while they are usually up to date with any DVD versions released they don't typically release during the current season, and if they do they are usually a week behind the broadcast.
Hulu: Didn't really say Hulu was free or OTA. I can understand the confusion though. What I was saying was that it's content is mostly the stuff you get for free OTA.
I know there is no need for a dedicated entertainment computer that is why I said if he wanted to go all out.
As for recording stuff, you can do just as well as Hauppage or any other PVR with free software. You don't need any PVR or "TV card"..whatever that is. I assume you mean a video card with an HDMI output? In which case you don't, just a standard video card will do, there are adapters plugs for that. Most recent video cards have HDMI though. So you don't have to buy anything but an HDMI cord.
As for the 400+ "channels" they stream, most can be easily found online for free.
Amazon does have some recent TV shows that run a week behind the broadcast but <1 year old movies are typically PPV.

When I think of how recent a movie or TV show is takes a few things into consideration. Movies over a year or two old (from DVD release) are not recent. I can watch stuff a couple years old if I haven't seen it but I watch most of what I want to see within a month or two of the DVD/VOD release. TV shows are bit more complex for me. Is it a new series? Then is it getting renewed? Is it still on? Is it up to date, the most recent episodes or am I going to be a year/week behind my friends? If it is a good show I don't subscribe to the channel for I typically watch them the day after broadcast on the companies webpage. The most recent one I am following online is Falling Skies because my DVR tuners are taken up in that time slot.

Guest TankerHC

Netflix is older movies...usually at least a year or two. As for TV shows that is why said "semi-recent" meaning while they are usually up to date with any DVD versions released they don't typically release during the current season, and if they do they are usually a week behind the broadcast.
Hulu: Didn't really say Hulu was free or OTA. I can understand the confusion though. What I was saying was that it's content is mostly the stuff you get for free OTA.
I know there is no need for a dedicated entertainment computer that is why I said if he wanted to go all out.
As for recording stuff, you can do just as well as Hauppage or any other PVR with free software. You don't need any PVR or "TV card"..whatever that is. I assume you mean a video card with an HDMI output? In which case you don't, just a standard video card will do, there are adapters plugs for that. Most recent video cards have HDMI though. So you don't have to buy anything but an HDMI cord.
As for the 400+ "channels" they stream, most can be easily found online for free.
Amazon does have some recent TV shows that run a week behind the broadcast but <1 year old movies are typically PPV.

When I think of how recent a movie or TV show is takes a few things into consideration. Movies over a year or two old (from DVD release) are not recent. I can watch stuff a couple years old if I haven't seen it but I watch most of what I want to see within a month or two of the DVD/VOD release. TV shows are bit more complex for me. Is it a new series? Then is it getting renewed? Is it still on? Is it up to date, the most recent episodes or am I going to be a year/week behind my friends? If it is a good show I don't subscribe to the channel for I typically watch them the day after broadcast on the companies webpage. The most recent one I am following online is Falling Skies because my DVR tuners are taken up in that time slot.

The contracts they have on new movies are 67 days after BD release. Only thing is, they dont have all the contracts.

some of the Roku 3 reviews on Amazon complain after a month or so the hdmi on the unit goes out and after that good luck getting any customer service. Those here with a Roku.. which model do you have and have you had trouble with it? How long have you had it.

I have both and for me the Apple TV interface is reason enough to buy Apple. It may not be known, but lets take Netflix for example. The interface within Netflix is not the same in both. Apple is more intuitive and faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I have both and for me the Apple TV interface is reason enough to buy Apple. It may not be known, but lets take Netflix for example. The interface within Netflix is not the same in both. Apple is more intuitive and faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

My wife refuses to use the roku's due to how bad some of the channels interfaces are. It's hit and miss but give the choice she'll always be on one of the apple TVs.

some of the Roku 3 reviews on Amazon complain after a month or so the hdmi on the unit goes out and after that good luck getting any customer service. Those here with a Roku.. which model do you have and have you had trouble with it? How long have you had it.

I currently have a roku LT I have had it since the week it was released, it replaced my original roku. I never had an issue with either.

Guest Bonedaddy

Got two of'm. The cheapest and the next one up. Never had a problem with'm and we use'm all the time, now. Decided to do away with the satellite TV for now, though I'm gonna miss a couple shows that I really liked but there's other ways of gettin' those.