Things that make you feel old

Guest TankerHC

I never heard anyone say that an 8-track had the best sound.  I have heard that vinyl - the very first time you play it - has the best sound possible but that you destroy the record a little every time you play it.  I read, once, that the reason vinyl has better sound is that, supposedly, humans hear in analog so analog recordings sound more 'true' to our ears.  That article went on to claim that, as digital sound is converted to analog by our ears, it can never have as much fidelity.  Personally - having been around when vinyl was still a major recording media (it coexisted with 8 track and 45 'singles' may have even outlasted 8 track) right through cassettes, CDs and MP3s, I think that just might be hogwash.  I, personally, think CDs have the best sound of anything I have heard, so far (better than most MP3s, even.)

When CDs first came out, although it wasn't a 'new' album, Pink Floyd The Wall was one of my favorite albums and one that I listened to all the time.   I had listened to it over and over on cassette - to the point that I felt like I knew pretty much every, single note.  Then I got it on CD and was like, "Wow - there are entire layers of sound on this album that I never even knew were there." 

I was around when 78 RPM records were around. In my house. My grandparents were born in 03 and 04. When I was a kid they still listened to 78's. We had piles of leather bound 78's with all sorts of crappy music that they loved to listen to. And as I recall, when they bought a new turntable back in the 70's it still had a 78 RPM speed.

Guest Bonedaddy

I had it. Without googling going to see if I remember. Pipe Dreams? Something dreams? I can picture the album cover, but not the name.

A friend has that LP and still has the paper that came with it. I "think" it's called Big Bambu or somethin' like that. It looks like a big pack of rollin' papers. Tanker sounds like he's rememberin' the movie, "Nice Dreams". We always wondered what that album would be worth since it still has the paper in it. Bet it won't come within a hunnerd yards of my bootleg Hendrix LP, though.

Guest Bonedaddy

I was little, walkin' to first grade and remember seein' gas go down from .35 cents to .28 cents for two days at the Esso station on the way to school. Back when they still pumped the gas, checked the oil, battery, water, tire pressure, wipers, PSF (if ya had it), cleaned the windshield front and back, threw your trash away, polished your shoes, shaved ya....well...those last two were a little fib but you know......and all at no extra charge. 'Course, I sometimes had to stop and pickups some more smokes for daddy on the way home, too. 2 packs of Winstons. Mighta been 50 cents or less a pack, then. Hard to remember that fur back.

Guest TankerHC

A friend has that LP and still has the paper that came with it. I "think" it's called Big Bambu or somethin' like that. It looks like a big pack of rollin' papers. Tanker sounds like he's rememberin' the movie, "Nice Dreams". We always wondered what that album would be worth since it still has the paper in it. Bet it won't come within a hunnerd yards of my bootleg Hendrix LP, though.

Yep, the movie. Had the album too. Had all of their albums and went to all of their movies. We had a head shop called Firefly, only place near you could buy their albums, Richard Pryor albums too. When I bought Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip, brought it home and put it on my mother liked to have a SH__ fit. But when we all went to bed, I could hear my parents quietly listening to Pryor, and Cheech and Chong.

Guest Bonedaddy

Those Pryor albums were the shizznit, back then. We wore that Sunset Strip one out, as well as That Ni**ers Crazy. Funniest stuff I'd heard since Carlin. Caught my dad laughin' his butt off to Pryor, a few times. How could ya not? I was a Jonathon Winters fan, too. And everyone loved C&C. BTW...Dave's still not here.

I was a Jonathon Winters fan, too.

Jonathan is my first name.  Mom says that the first time she ever, really heard (or, at least, noticed) the name 'Jonathan' was Jonathan Winters.  She liked the name and ended up naming me 'Jonathan' so, in an indirect sort of way, I am named after Jonathan Winters.

My grandparents were born in 03 and 04.

This makes me realize why I relate to people much older than me, and why I was raised so much different than the average person my age. My Grandfather on my dads side was born in 1900 and served in WW1 at the age of 17. My dad was born in 54. So it makes sense that my family had kids late in life most of the time.
Tapatalk ate my spelling.

I was born before the Dead Sea got sick...

I was born in 1988. Yet still remember learning how to use a hand slung brush blade, an axe, use a froe and mallet to make shingles and shakes, etc. I think I fit in a lot better with some of you old timers.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

• 1 month later...

I had 2 of these instances recently that made me feel older.

I was trying to describe which relay I needed from the parts room to one of the other mechanics and I gave him a general description of what it looked like and where it was located in the parts room, but I then added that it looks like a flash cube. The look I got was priceless and then it was followed by; What is a flash cube?

Another time I made the comment that something was "like a broken record", got nothing but blank stares as nobody in the bunch knew what I meant because they were too young to know much about record players.

After both of these scenarios I tried to explain to them what the deal was. Some of the guys knew about records but none of them had ever seen a flash cube before.

Back in 2004 I worked at Nissan in Smyrna. One day I was at their training center taking a class and there was a group of new hires there for orientation. At break they started asking me about the place and one asked me how long I had been there. I said "I started in 83" to which he replied "I was born in 83". 

And right now I realize that I told a story about feeling old and I started it by saying "back in 2004". 

I remember my first video game. Pong as others have mentioned. My father got it at Radio Shack and we had to hook it up to the UHF connections to make it work. It was so cool, the neighbors would come down to play. I also remember going with my parents to buy a new car. We left the lot with a brand new 77 Chevy Vega. I wish I had that car now. So does my father.

Well I guess I can let it of of the bag. In the morning when I first wake up I feel old enough to have helped Noah design the ark. After coffee and my morning meds I feel like I may have been around during the Civil War and by noon I am closer to when Henry Ford created the Model T and by mid afternoon I'm closing back in on the ark and by bedtime I take night meds and sleep and the next morning it begins all over on a new day.........I remember when Band Stand was first on TV and when 45 rpm records came out and Elvis was still not discovered.................... :ugh: :ugh:

I remember most of these things, but what is really making me feel old right now is this ____ __ sciatica. Back and leg hurt so bad I can hardly move. Also, recently had carpel tunnel surgery and they wanted a complete surgical history. It took two pages. If you are still young, take care of yourself. You might live longer than you think.

I feel for you. and in that vein, it's injuries that make me feel old.

Except that it wasn't the broken wrist in '72 from falling off my skateboard that made me feel old because I was only 11. And it wasn't the broken nose in Highschool because I was only 17. And it wasn't the torn ligaments in my right ankle serving Uncle Sam at Fort Sill, Ok. because I was only 19. And it wasn't the broken leg a few years later riding broncs in Enid, Ok. because I was still in my early 20's. And it wasn't the surgeries on blown knees in my early 30's or the shattered 3rd & 4th lumbar in my early 40's or the UNT surgery on my left elbow in my mid forties or having my gall bladder yanked in my late forties. It wasn't the broken thumb or the tennis elbow or the dislocated shoulder or having nearly lost my left eye or the dozen or so other less serious sprains, strains, breaks and ruptures that made me feel old...

It's that my family and friends have learned to mark occasions by when a specific injury occurred; "Oh c'mon, you remember! That was the year the brakes went out on Cord's ATV and you went thru the barbed wire fence and over the creek bank!" Or, "You remember Julie - she got married the week your horse blew up and threw you into the cactus patch and you couldn't make the wedding because they were still picking spines out of your legs and back!" The saying "If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself!" is a cute line, but for me it's also a lie because I wouldn't trade any of the pre-injury fun I've had over the years. :pleased:

After this year's debilitaing injury (gsw to left ankle which resulted in ankle/midfoot fusion and a permanent & horrible limp), I think I'm done marking the years with injuries. I'm hoping that when I get my new modified walking shoe in a few days it will help restore my mobility and gait. But I think I'm done with injuries making me feel any older. First because I already feel older than Methusela and second, because I've finally sustained the one injury that won't let me get around well enough to acquire any more injuries.

I could give a rat's rear end about how old the babies from Friends would be now because I was so busy being active that I rarely watched the show when it was on. And I'm glad that Home Alone is a good enough movie to serve as a bench mark for things that are supposed to make us feel old.

But the one single thing that makes me feel old is that I just can't get around well enough to feel young anymore...

But DAMN, it was sure fun getting here!

:hat:

...TS...

Guest Lowbuster
I remember when there were no cell phones. Watched Reagan get sworn in on one of the three channels we you on UHF. I found the sticker where dad bought a big green car from car lot for $2100. We sat around our radio and waited for songs to record ourselves on boom box. Now I feel older.
Guest Lester Weevils
It is purt easy to feel old and over the hill. Which can come easier indulging in feeling sorry for oneself.

First time I felt old and over the hill, was about 21 and had bought a music book with about 100 Beatles hits, about 1971. Got to thinking all those songs, already in 1971 were "oldies" not current enough for a top 40 band of the time.

Woodstock 2 years in the past, love'n'peace already passe. Already too old to comfortably live in some ramshackle big old house splitting the rent with eight other kids, one room per kid.

Too old to play high school gigs or hit on jailbait anymore. Nothing to do but date those over the hill 18 and 19 year old chicks already showing the first hint of wrinkles around the eyes. Worked myself into a fabulous evening of depression :) Edited by Lester Weevils

I bought my first gun, a 12 ga Revelation shotgun, at a Western Auto store in McMinnville.  Now there's not many hardware stores that have a FFL and Western Auto has gone the way of the Dodo bird.

There is still an operating Western Auto in Newport, TN don't think that have an FFL though

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/266/lvt4.jpg/]lvt4.jpg[/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

When I first started driving gas was .89/gal

Nirvana is now classic rock

and our Walmart was just the Big N (Pigeon Forge folks will know it :) )

Edited by Andyshowfan