DOD leave for same-sex marriage criticized

TSprint1

It's not often that I am stunned anymore but this policy is flat out wrong, stupid, or whatever other adjective you care to use.  If the policy was applied to everyone...maybe...but I really don't think it is DOD's (or anyone's) place to encourage or discourage marriage of any kind.  Wonder how many folks will take the leave then decide that they really aren't right for each other and don't get married? I remember when if a soldier (male or female) declared himself/herself to be homosexual we had 7 days to initiate discharge proceedings.  Wanna guess how many used that to get out of their enlistment contract.  I could care less who marries who, or what, but I somehow resent the government encouraging/and or facilitating it.  Am I wrong or out of line?

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/08/19/319488/dod-leave-for-samesex-marriage-criticized/

Guest 6.8 AR

Hagel was never a conservative while in office or anywhere else. He is a liberal in disguise(well, not anymore) and

is doing the wishes of his boss. I'm sure he only said "okay" or "Yes sir".

Probably time to drop it for heteros too. It used to be a special once-in-a-lifetime event but at one place, a lady there went through at least three names in the few years I was there. Just lump it all in as PTO. It seems to be the way things are going anyway.

I remember when if a soldier (male or female) declared himself/herself to be homosexual we had 7 days to initiate discharge proceedings. Wanna guess how many used that to get out of their enlistment contract.

There was a guy in my basic training company who told the drill he was gay so they would boot him. The first sergeant told him if he called his parents and told him he was gay he would have him chaptered out. He did not call his parents.

Probably time to drop it for heteros too. It used to be a special once-in-a-lifetime event but at one place, a lady there went through at least three names in the few years I was there. Just lump it all in as PTO. It seems to be the way things are going anyway.

Yep.
Wanna get married? Use your PTO. Whether you're marrying a man or a woman, I don't see why you should get anything extra thought put into your request.

Everyone wants to feel special, I guess.

Leave is leave regardless of the reason. I can guarantee they do not get free or some special kind of leave because they are gay. They are getting the same kind of leave as any other service member.

What is wrong with this statement?

"It is now the department's policy to treat all married military personnel equally,"

I see nothing wrong with the statement or the policy.

• Like 2
The DOD has no buisness giving extra leave to people of any sexual orentation. When I got married I was stationed in Japan, and took 23 days of leave to fly home and do so. If homosexuals wish to be married, then there is no reason they can't do the same.

"To compensate for the fact that same-sex couples cannot legally marry in 37 states, DoD will grant special leave to gay troops who want to get married but are stationed more than 100 miles from a state that legally recognizes same-sex marriages."

Quote from here

http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20130814/BENEFITS/308140021/Some-gay-troops-get-extra-marriage-leave-

If we are gonna have equality then it goes both ways. You don't withhold anything, which they aren't now since they get housing allowances, etc. But you don't give anything extra like this leave. I want to know if this 10 days comes off the service members leave allowance.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Guest ThePunisher
I remember the news reels when soldiers and sailors came into dock from WW2, Korean W, Vietnam W, and Gulf Coast W meeting their wives hugging and kissing each other. Now I can just visualize the news reels of the same sex couples meeting at the docks returning from war. Probably like the Gay Parade Day.

I remember the news reels when soldiers and sailors came into dock from WW2, Korean W, Vietnam W, and Gulf Coast W meeting their wives hugging and kissing each other. Now I can just visualize the news reels of the same sex couples meeting at the docks returning from war. Probably like the Gay Parade Day.

Here ya go

Posted Image

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

It's not often that I am stunned anymore but this policy is flat out wrong, stupid, or whatever other adjective you care to use.  If the policy was applied to everyone...maybe...but I really don't think it is DOD's (or anyone's) place to encourage or discourage marriage of any kind.  Wonder how many folks will take the leave then decide that they really aren't right for each other and don't get married? I remember when if a soldier (male or female) declared himself/herself to be homosexual we had 7 days to initiate discharge proceedings.  Wanna guess how many used that to get out of their enlistment contract.  I could care less who marries who, or what, but I somehow resent the government encouraging/and or facilitating it.  Am I wrong or out of line?

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/08/19/319488/dod-leave-for-samesex-marriage-criticized/

I don't care what a persons orientation is as long as it's not forcefully shoved in my face. Who here goes around flaunting and identifying themselves and their sexual escapades with their spouse, animals or self as an identity, who you are, a special class, to be accepted as normal and celebrated? I do believe Rome did.

As a twenty year combat veteran that was in the Army to do a job, anyone flaunting their homosexuality to me in the pup tent, fox hole, etc. would have a problem. I believe Hitler addressed the subject in his army as part of the final solution?

Edited by Dennis1209

Damn Spots, I could have done without seeing that.

Meh, lots of guys here support gay rights. Figured they might as well take a good look at the new military. I'm a pretty simple person. You keep it out of my face, I don't give a damn who your sleeping with. That goes for anybody, gay or straight. That shit has no place in the public eye.

• Like 3

Leave is leave regardless of the reason. I can guarantee they do not get free or some special kind of leave because they are gay. They are getting the same kind of leave as any other service member.

What is wrong with this statement?

"It is now the department's policy to treat all married military personnel equally,"

I see nothing wrong with the statement or the policy.

I started this thread not to bash gays or anyone else but to point out the hypocrisy of the DOD and by association this administration.  This link states unequivocally that the leave will be extra and will not count against the military members 30 days annual.  They get 7 days extra leave if married in CONUS and 10 days if married out of the country.  Am I reading the below article wrong?

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/gays-get-extra-marriage-leave-c-123-airman-wins-agent-orange-claim-1.235511

You are right and it is wrong.

No one should be given anything extra that no other person has a right to get. If they want to grant 7 days of free leave to same sex couple to get married then hetero couples should be given the same leave. They should call it marriage leave and let anyone have it who is getting married. If they don't get married then they get charged for those days. Or how about this, let them accrue leave to get married.

Does any of this really surprise anyone who has been in America since around the beginning of 2009? All I hope is that Americans make better choices in the years to come.
It was only a few years ago that they were authorizing 10 days paternal leave when you're kid is born that doesn't count against regular leave. Now there's gay leave just for being gay? This is the kinda crap that sows the discontent that liberals love to feed off of. God forbid you say that authorizing additional leave based on sexual orientation isn't fair... you open yourself up to the emotional argument of: "You know what's not fair? Blah blah blah....."

I'm convinced that people who argue for change are always as bad as the people they're arguing against. I like where I am in the middle, where I can see clearly that both sides of nearly every issue is run by lunatics.

It was only a few years ago that they were authorizing 10 days paternal leave when you're kid is born that doesn't count against regular leave. Now there's gay leave just for being gay? This is the kinda crap that sows the discontent that liberals love to feed off of. God forbid you say that authorizing additional leave based on sexual orientation isn't fair... you open yourself up to the emotional argument of: "You know what's not fair? Blah blah blah....."

I'm convinced that people who argue for change are always as bad as the people they're arguing against. I like where I am in the middle, where I can see clearly that both sides of nearly every issue is run by lunatics.

The gay community will demand 10 days of "Adoption Leave" because 1/2 of them can't have kids. When I was in you took leave for everything. I can remember when my son was expected to be born I had to fill out a leave form and left the dates blank. The only free leave was for the death of an immediate family member, mother or father or siblings, and only after the Red Cross called the commander.

The biggest problem I have with free leave is there are those who will lie to get it while those who are honest won't and take up the slack for those that will.