Lone Survivor

Spots

Herd veteran (yes 173rd that's you) I got sheep jokes as well, but another time, I had two fiends in that AO with the Herd, Mortar Plt Sgt and Navy Corpsman attached to a Marine MTT, Both saw some shit on a daily.. Doc got an Army award for saving a joes life. god people.. 

If you haven't read the book read it before the movie, if possible, Luttrell mentioned that some things hollywood changed due to OPSEC on TTPs. 

that was an excellent doc, really an eye opener. The crap those guys had to go through every single day. Thats got to be a hell of a scary feeling, wondering when you woke up if that was going to be your last day on earth. I have a TON of respect for all of them, and all of you guys here that served as well. Truly, thank you.

Sorry kind of got off topic. I plan on going to watch the movie next month, I just hope it does Marcus well, and that its not full of BS. If Marcus advised on it, its got to be in line with the real events. 

The Korengal is a meat grinder. I bet that region is responsible for 50% of the injuries and deaths in Afghanistan. I know I used to sit at night and watch the onslaughts on a FOB 5K to 6K down the road. We could hear the fighting at some of the Korengal outposts and could see the flashes of light from explosions against the clouds at night.

I thought the country was beautiful in its own, moonscape, sort of way. When I show people the pictures I have they ask why I took them in black and white. I didn't but the lack of color makes it look like it. And honestly it takes a lot of hard work just to survive in the place as an Afghan. Most Americans couldn't survive a year there in the best of conditions.

I was there in 07-08 with B co 3rd Platoon at Phoenix. Yeah, it sucked. But such is life. I'd rather deploy there again and be with my brothers than anything else though. Most of us all feel that way still.

Not a big fan of telling people that I was there. So here's the one time I will. Ha. Hence the photo of Marcus' stuff we found there....

Little stats on that deployment:
-42 Purple Hearts out of 140 ish people
-70% of all air support in Iraq and Afghanistan combined was in our 3 mile valley during that time
-We got in 470 TICs. (Exact number is a 1-2 off, forgot the exact number the TOC recorded)
  • Like 1
[quote name="173rdABN" post="1083574" timestamp="1387902144"]I was there in 07-08 with B co 3rd Platoon at Phoenix. Yeah, it sucked. But such is life. I'd rather deploy there again and be with my brothers than anything else though. Most of us all feel that way still. Not a big fan of telling people that I was there. So here's the one time I will. Ha. Hence the photo of Marcus' stuff we found there.... Little stats on that deployment: -42 Purple Hearts out of 140 ish people -70% of all air support in Iraq and Afghanistan combined was in our 3 mile valley during that time -We got in 470 TICs. (Exact number is a 1-2 off, forgot the exact number the TOC recorded)[/quote] Those are some hard core stats man. Jesus.... And almost every Vet I know would rather be in any 3rd world shithole with his brothers again than anything else they could do. Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Those are some hard core stats man. Jesus.... And almost every Vet I know would rather be in any 3rd world ####hole with his brothers again than anything else they could do.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Because there is nothing better than tried and true brotherhood.
[quote name="173rdABN" post="1083581" timestamp="1387903036"]Because there is nothing better than tried and true brotherhood.[/quote] Truer words have never been spoke . Knowing that your brother will always be there is the most comforting thing in the world, non matter what shit storm is going on around you. Tapatalk ate my spelling.
  • Like 1

Welcome to the korengal (yes, that's me, I was taking selfies because I thought the fog was cool, :) hah

image_zpsad772601.jpg

Back on topic. If anyone wants to see a clip taken from our 1st platoon guys who had the AO of the helo crash I can post it so you can get a small glimpse of what the village looked like. But be for warned.... It's a bunch of joes bored on a patrol being wise ass'. Ha

Edited by 173rdABN
  • Like 6

[quote name="173rdABN" post="1083586" timestamp="1387903710"]Welcome to the korengal (yes, that's me, I was taking selfies because I thought the fog was cool, :) hah [url="http://s95.photobucket.com/user/eat7thirdythree/media/image_zpsad772601.jpg.html"]image_zpsad772601.jpg[/url] Back on topic. If anyone wants to see a clip taken from our 1st platoon guys who had the AO of the helo crash I can post it so you can get a small glimpse of what the village looked like. But be for warned.... It's a bunch of joes bored on a patrol being wise ass'. Ha[/quote] That is an EPIC picture man

• Like 1

Here I am hanging out with an ANA soldier and an officer from the ANP. This was taken at the FOB that was the first stop for any injured soldiers coming out of the Korengal.
meanpana1.jpg

And another in front of or barracks.
S5000427.jpg

And yes, I would go back in a heartbeat if I could.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
  • Like 3

Have you ever had a feeling that when something is said by someone that the person does not believe what he is saying but says it to satisfy his peers. That is the way I see Mark Walberg. I know he talks anti gun but when you hear him say anything about being anti gun he just does not seem like his heart is in it. He does not as far as I know go around promoting anti gun legislation or speaking out for some politician about it. In all honesty I think in his heart he is pro gun and I would bet deep down he is hoping no one ever finds out he may have one or two hid back. I know he has felonies on his record which says legally cannot own one but how many other people are out there just like him that own them. I think he is saying what he is saying to keep working in Hollywood. A lot of the people that are pro gun and have spoke out about it are either old enough to not matter if they work anymore or they cannot find work any longer and that goes for the younger pro gun folks in that speak out. Of course this is.................jmho

[quote name="tennessee01tacoma" post="1084167" timestamp="1388007398"]So I thought the movie released today but I can't find it showing anywhere today so what's the deal[/quote] Thats only for select cities. It releases nation wide on Jan. 10th Tapatalk ate my spelling.