Ruger 10/22 Takedown

piper266

Im considering another 10/22. But before buying, I thought I'd ask if any of you had any experience with it. Have you had any issues with the attachment point loosening up over time or usage? Is the whole rifle fairly rigid when assembled...no wobble? And if you've ever had the camo versions, is it a tough finish or should it be avoided? Thanks in advance for the info!

I've tried to like the Takedown but just can't.  If you have a fixed compact 1022 with a 16.25" barrel and synthetic stock that is a really compact firearm ready to go even when slung.

The Takedown is cool and works but is sort of a pain in the butt. Oh it is cool enough in its tidy little bag, but I think the compact carbine is more useful.

I think for tidiness the current stainless papoose is more practical in terms of carrying in a pack, but it is too forward light. 

I've had once since they came out.  Very solid design with tigh lock-up between barrel and action enhanced by the adjustable barrel nut.  Have had no problems with it loosening up and don't ever expect it to.  For one it's a .22, not exactly a stressfull round on steel and secondly it's a snug fit when you put it together.  No loss of accuracy between take-aparts. 

My only complaint is in installing and removing the barrel.  It make the slightest metal on metal squeak that sends shivers through my whole body.  I can't explain it.  My brother is the same way with styrofoam.

Edited by Garufa

We bought two early on and they have seen normal use.  Pretty accurate and repeatable.   Been played with a lot just showing off the disassembly and reassembly.  No issues on loosening up at all.  I believe that's the whole purpose of the chamber nut that you adjust to make it tight when snapped together. 

Only one complaint...  The backpack itself is too short to leave the scope on the receiver.  I guess a scope with no bell would fit but I like my regular rimfire scope.  Had to install with QD rings to get around the short bag.

I have one and have had no issue with the takedown connection getting loose.  It shoots great.  My only problem was some extra plastic left on the stock in the mag well that made mags difficult to remove.  A fine file and some sandpaper and all is good now.

• 3 weeks later...

Its not a Ruger but I have a Browning takedown and its been nice and tight for years.  I love 10/22's and I can only imagine that Ruger would at least try to meet the longevity of a Browning.  I've been toying with getting one of the Ruger take downs as well, once 22 ammo is around again.

browning_zps8f135c36.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Only one complaint...  The backpack itself is too short to leave the scope on the receiver.  I guess a scope with no bell would fit but I like my regular rimfire scope.  Had to install with QD rings to get around the short bag.

Exactly!  I can get it into the backpack with scope attached, but it's not easy.