Interesting - and maybe the first sign of hope for ammo supplies

Gander Mountain has a more or less weekly insert in the Knoxville News Sentinel.  I am guessing that is the case with other, local papers as well.  The interesting thing about this week's insert is that on the front page there is an ad for CCI Standard Velocity, 40 grain .22LR ammo.

Now, before we get too excited I will point out that this is just basic .22LR ammo with unplated lead bullets and the price listed is $4.99 for a 50 round box.  I don't think I'll be knocking down the doors to buy at that price.  They also list several, other ammo brands and types in the flier.

I don't think that any of the ammo listed is on 'sale' but still, this is the first time I have seen .22LR ammo listed in one of their fliers in months.  In fact, for a long time I didn't see any guns or ammo in the fliers - despite the fact that before the current 'shortage' they would have at least some guns/ammo in there every week regardless of the time of year.  If they think that inventory supplies are readily available enough to warrant listing it in the flier then I have to wonder if they, at least, aren't seeing a little easing of the 'shortage'.

Further, this week's flier is, by my memory, the first time in months they have listed handguns at a 'sale' price (for instance, $30 off on the Taurus TCP .380 for a 'sale' price of $199.99 as well as other handguns and long guns listed at 'sale' prices.)  In fact, I don't remember seeing many handguns in their fliers lately, at all.  I guess they figured, "Why put them on sale or use up ad space when we are selling them hand over fist at regular prices without advertising?"  I take this as another, possible sign that things are letting up.

Of course, some folks are starting to gear up for hunting season and that could partly explain the features/sales on long guns but really doesn't account for sales on non-hunting type handguns.  Here's hoping this is a good sign for the near future of the gun/ammo market in general!

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
I think we are getting closer to normal. Sportsman's Warehouse has plenty of AR type guns and a wall full of pistols. Ammo is easily found on the shelves and 10 plus round magazines are plentiful. It's pretty easy to find most pistol bullets and most reloading supplies.

What's still missing? I still have not seen bricks of 22lr or really any 22LR in the store. Power and primers are still in short supply as well.

I thin we are defiantly on the road to normalcy but we probably still have a few months to go.

I think we are getting closer to normal. Sportsman's Warehouse has plenty of AR type guns and a wall full of pistols. Ammo is easily found on the shelves and 10 plus round magazines are plentiful. It's pretty easy to find most pistol bullets and most reloading supplies.
What's still missing? I still have not seen bricks of 22lr or really any 22LR in the store. Power and primers are still in short supply as well.
I thin we are defiantly on the road to normalcy but we probably still have a few months to go.

I think it was also at Sportsman's where I saw a rack full of Ruger BX25 mags for the 10/22... and at a good price. That made me happy. They also had a few boxes of small and large rifle primers when I was in there on last week.

Anybody seeing any Self Defense type JHP bullets for reloading in pistol calibers yet?

Try these guys,

http://www.freedommunitions.com/Default.asp

They had a booth set up at the 3Gun match at Rockcastle in KY this past weekend. They gave me a complete price list but I must have left it at the office, anyways, I asked them about availability on 9mm fmj and a couple of others and they said they had most everything ready to ship. They were actually giving away bullets in 9mm, .38, .40 and .45, some were jaketed hollow points and some were just fmj. I actually just looked through what I ended up with and I counted about 150 rounds worth of projectiles and I think I have more that I stuffed in my backpack. Their prices looked great for these times, I want to say the price sheet said 9mm fmj was $98 delivered to your front door.

Gander Mt has been getting .22 weekly for the past couple months, however it has been selling out same day.

They were getting it and putting it out on Thursday mornings.

One of the guys told people people had been getting in line about 6 a.m. and the store didn't open until 9 a.m.