Geico Auto Insurance?

• Moderators

I've been with Nationwide for a while now. Time for renewal is next month, so I've been receiving some quotes. I've found that if I switch to Geico, I can supposedly save roughly $25 a month if I switch to them. The coverage amounts are the same for this quote. Should I do it? I am probably going to send an email to my Nationwide agent later with documentation showing the quote. Think they'll try and match it? Is Geico good insurance? I like the little gecko guy.

Guest nra37922

Should I switch? Can that cause any problem switching back and forth to the cheapest quote? I've heard it is smart to shop and switch, it is isn't it? Will they sometimes at least try and keep you by price matching?

I wouldn't switch unless the coverage is better, at least equal, and the savings is greater than 10% of the existing policy.  BUT loyalty to an Insurance Company is ludicrous as watch what happens when you file a claim.

I'm very happy with Geico. The only company I could find that was cheaper is Progressive but I didn't feel like switching. They have lowered my rates every 6 months when the policy renews and the lowered it substantially when we moved 2 months ago.

They customer service is also top notch. Real people that speak perfect English.

I had TN Farmers Bureau when living in Knoxville and everyone warned me that my rates would raise dramatically when moving to Florida. They were wrong. My rates went down significantly.

Guest TankerHC

I have been with Geico since around 86. I have 5 vehicles insured with them at the moment. All 5 of those together, and all are full coverage, costs less than 2 cars my wife had on Allstate. On top of that, Geico has an online Defensive Driver Course. Its free and all drivers in yiur house can take it. If any or all of the drivers take it, it reduces your insurance.premium. You dont even have to report it to them, once you complete they are notified automatically. For me and the wife, it reduced 6 month premiums by 50 bucks. On top of that roadside assistance, including up to $1000 for rental cars, towing and Hotels is automatically included at no additional cost, the premium is the same with or without. I have had one accident, the adjuster was at my house within 2 hours, did his thing and wrote a check for repairs. If I told you what I paid a year you wouldnt believe it, in comparison, no other Insurance company I have ever dealt with even comes close.

But I wont make any recommendations.   :nervous:

I had insurance with Geico for 15 plus years.  They are a good company, but they are expensive.  When I bought my house, I switched to Travelers.  I got homeowners and car insurance for just a little bit more than what I was paying for car insurance through Geico.

• Moderators

The main common thread I see amongst all of these posts is...it seems to depend on who you are in regards to which is the cheapest. Allstate was stated as being the cheapest, but they were one of the more expensive ones for me. Geico was stated as being expensive, but they so far are the cheapest for me. 

• Like 1

A few weeks ago when my wife complained about insurance rate increases, I told her to talk to our State Farm agent as we'd used her sevices for over 20 years.  The result was about $50 per month in savings for the same coverage.  Your mileage may vary.

• Moderators

A coworker seems to think that one should be careful when switching between insurance companies because one could end up uninsured because companies would no longer insure you if they see that you have a history of switching.

I don't see this as the case, but is there any truth to you? I've always heard it is smart to shop for prices every six months.

• Moderators

I have been with Geico since around 86. I have 5 vehicles insured with them at the moment. All 5 of those together, and all are full coverage, costs less than 2 cars my wife had on Allstate. On top of that, Geico has an online Defensive Driver Course. Its free and all drivers in yiur house can take it. If any or all of the drivers take it, it reduces your insurance.premium. You dont even have to report it to them, once you complete they are notified automatically. For me and the wife, it reduced 6 month premiums by 50 bucks. On top of that roadside assistance, including up to $1000 for rental cars, towing and Hotels is automatically included at no additional cost, the premium is the same with or without. I have had one accident, the adjuster was at my house within 2 hours, did his thing and wrote a check for repairs. If I told you what I paid a year you wouldnt believe it, in comparison, no other Insurance company I have ever dealt with even comes close.

But I wont make any recommendations.   :nervous:

Tried to find the course, perhaps it is easier to find when a member, but all I could find were courses that were roughly $20 a person.

I think it also depends on the state you live in.

Edited by CZ9MM

Might consider going with an independent agent.  Makes it easier (and as such more likely for me) to shop your policies and switch if it makes sense.  I think at least some of the companies count on consumers overlooking smaller increases until you get to the point where you realize how much your rates have gone up after several renewal cycles.

In any case, make sure to shop both your auto and homeowners at the same time.  From what I've seen, if you don't, you just end up spreading the money around without saving any.