Facebook

DaveS

I for one just do not understand the need for FB :shrug: Who cares what you had for dinner or when your last bowel movement was.  If you post your personal info on the web be prepared to face the consequences.

There are lots of potential problems with FB, and I just avoid it. Never had an account. I had a friend at my previous employer that had a "stalker" female coworker. Nearly got him in trouble with his marriage for no reason. I also knew someone that got fired... called in sick but FB page showed the pics of him on vacation, lol.

There's generally too much drama and not enough time for me, so I just stay clear of it. I'm sure I'll have to get an account as soon as my kids get old enough to spend time on the web so I can see what they're doing.

To answer the question, I think an employer should be able to make decisions about an employee based on available resources including FB if they are able to gain access. I don't think an employee should be REQUIRED to give the boss access though.

Face book=not private ..unless you set it to private.

Mine isn't private.. but I dont say or do stuff on there that could really hurt me or  make me look like an idiot either.

I like FB for the simple fact I get to talk to people I knew way back then and my extended family.

I think its mostly teenagers that act like morons on there ..None of my friends or family  say or post dumb crapp on it.. Its simply a way to communicate...

Many jobs have been lost because of a FB post. I do have FB but don't accept requests or friend any co-workers. Not that I post bad things about work or co-workers because I don't. I just prefer to keep things separate. I see enough of those people M-F. I'm sure they see enough of me too. After some changes FB made I removed some people that were mutual friends of co-workers. I didn't like the fact that if my friend "liked" a photo that their friends could see the photo.

Email address on an application is an easy way to find out a lot about a future employee via FB. And I promiss it happens.

I quit FB years ago.  I have no clue how it works any more.    But don't you control who can see your stuff there?   Can't you make it non-public?  And if so can't you simply deny having the thing?

I actually was never able to figure out how to actually delete my account, but was only able to suspend it.   I have never been back since that day and have no clue if i am "out there" still.   I am pretty sure they don't want anyone deleting accounts.

The way I understand it, the friends of your friends may be able to view your page even of it's private. I think that's true anyway

I for one just do not understand the need for FB :shrug: Who cares what you had for dinner or when your last bowel movement was. If you post your personal info on the web be prepared to face the consequences.

Five Guys : Cheeseburger with grilled onion and mushrooms.
9 AM this morning.
  • Like 1
Sure your company should be able to discipline you based in Facebook posts provided it violated a company policy. The company I work for has a social media policy that basically says don't post stuff about the company online. As far as friending co-workers? Not a chance - it could be construed as a violation of the fraternization policy. If any of my subordinates friend me I simply explain that to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
If my boss had something judgemental to say about a FB post of mine, he would expect an earful from me. If he thought he needed a lame excuse like a FB post to reprimand me, there is probably an underlying issue that we need to discuss.

I remember one of my former fellow employees, who just also happened to be a railfan, got a call from the FBI and a visit

from some company officials. He was threatened with prison time for divulging military movements of trains on railfan

sites. I agree with them because if a shipment of tanks or ammunition was targeted and destroyed, the military would be

without it, and the tracks would be out of service for days , if not longer, and that screws up a lot more than one might think.

He lost his job, his family, house and everything else over that one. All for posting stuff on the internet for the benefit of a

few railfans. Our phones and other electrical personal equipment was supposed to be off while on duty.

Guest nra37922

Depending on your line of work you could open yourself and employer up to HIPPA violations, its amazing the fines and jail time that go along with HIPPA .   No degrading, derogatory or racist comments directed at a co-worker or your company is a good rule of thumb. 

Just like voting, posting on Facebook has consequences....

Facebook works fine for me. I'm friends with my bosses and employees, and get to call Barack Obama a piece of shit anytime I feel like it. I'm in a political job, so anything I say can always be held against me. Too late to be scared now. Coming up on my 20th year, if I'm not there already.

I have FB for the reason of keeping in touch with friends and family. It's a great way for us to share pictures and what not.

I feel that a working relationship between employer and employee should be built on trust and loyalty and not what a person puts on FB.

Now on "pre-hires", I think a visit to that person's FB page may be beneficial. For example: Trayvon Martin. His FB page is well known by all. That is a person I would not hire based on what I seen. Not someone I want representing my company.

It has it's good and bad points I guess.

DaveS

I have one, and my boss is my friend.  But I'm completely transparent with my boss, he really doesn't care what I do as long as my stuff is done at the end of the day and he knows it will be because I'm not getting paid if it's not.  I saw several people fired for Facebook posts during my retail days, not smart to talk trash about the people that write your paycheck.  I have about as many privacy settings turned onto my FB page as possible, yet I still don't post anything I wouldn't want my mom to see, especially since she has FB too.