New Reloader

Now that it appears the supply or reloading supplies may be a little easier to find, I decided to try my hand at reloading. I thought I would start a thread to, (1)  introduce myself to other reloaders and (2) apologize in advance for the questions I am sure to post in the coming days, months and weeks. 

Reasons to Reload:

I will primarily be reloading (1) for fun, I think it will be an enjoyable hobby, (2) to get the best accuracy I can out of my 308 bolt gun and precision AR, and (3) to give me a small amount of peace of mind should ammo become scarce in the future. I plan to start reloading for 223 and 308. I likely will be coming back here with some questions, but will try to keep them to a minimum as I'm sure all my questions have been answered somewhere out there on the internet. 

My setup: 

I ordered the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Reloading Kit and an Arsenal Tumbler Kit. (links below) I also purchased a set of Lee precision Deluxe 223 dies (Grey) and a Lyman Reloading Handbook. I will be using a workbench I got a while back from Harbor Freight a while back. I will likely pick up a $20-30 dollar set of calipers as well. Short term I may also pick up a decent case trimmer, maybe the Lyman Universal for $80 bucks, but I'm going to wait on that for now. I am also considering a stand for the powder measure so I don't have to hang it off my workbench. 

The RCBS Kit includes the following: 

Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage press

505 scale

Uniflow Powder Measure

Speer Reloading Manual

Hand priming tool with small and large primer plugs

Folding Hex Key Set with 0.050", 1/16", 5/64", 3/32", 7/64", 1/8", 9/64" and 5/32" keys

Universal Case Loading Block, which holds 40 cases in most rifle and pistol calibers

Case Lube Kit, which includes a 2 oz bottle of Case Lube-2, a case lube pad, 2 case neck brushes for .22 through .30 calibers and an accessory handle

Powder Funnel for .22 to .45 caliber, including the Winchester Short Magnum calibers

Chamfer and deburring tool for .17 through .60 caliber

Experience:

I have absolutely no experience reloading. I have never seen another person reload nor do I know anyone who reloads. Prior to purchasing any equipment I read a lot of forum posts and other information about basic reloading, watch a number of youtube videos, etc. I have also read both the Speer and Lyman Manuals.

I have been collecting my spent brass for the last six months or so and have started buying brass instead of the cheaper cased stuff lately. I have about 200 rounds of good once fired 308 brass, Federal Gold Cup Match and Hornady Match. I also have about 200 rounds of once fired brass in 223. I also have about 500 additional rounds of Match 308 and Black Hills Match 5.56 ammo that I will save the brass from once I go through them. 

My Plan:

I plan to start tumbling brass this weekend and getting my equipment set up. I believe some of the RCBS kit will need an initial cleaning. I am also going to sit down and try to decide on a basic load for 223 to start with and see if I can order the components I need, primers, powder, bullets. I am really looking forward to the process and eventually shooting some of my own ammunition. 

How you can help!:

If you have read this far, my apologies. However, since you already wasted this much time, you might as well leave a reply giving a tip or suggestion for me. 

Note: I probably could have saved 50 bucks by going with Midway on the RCBS Kit had I shopped around a bit more. 

RCBS Supreme http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078MWM2W/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Arsenal Tumbler http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TTILBC/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lee 223 Dies http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N8OKK0/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lyman Handbook http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MYEU0E/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Work Bench http://www.harborfreight.com/workbench-with-4-drawers-60-hardwood-69054.html

Don't forget lube. You must lube the cases before you stick them in the rock chucker (RC)  to de-prime and size them. Otherwise, you will stick one in the 

die and will have to use a puller to get it out.  .223's are much more prone to stick in a die from lack of lube. On the other side of the coin, too much lube can cause dents in the cases.  You tell if your using enough because the case will go up into the die smoothly with no noise. If it's hard and tries to stop your down stroke on the press then you don't have enough on it. If you plan to stay inexpensive for a while then get some lube and rub it on your fingers then roll the case on them. It does;t cost you anything but it is a lil bit slower.

If you stick one you can make a puller for a few bucks...$3 maybe less.

You might also think a bout getting a case gauge. Dillon makes one for each caliber. The cost runs around $25 or so. You stick the case into the gauge and it will show you if the shoulder is not set to the correct depth or the case is too long and needs cutting. 

Personally, I'd start with .308 since the case is larger and easier to work with.

There's a lot to learn. I can chat via email if you'd like. I load everything I shoot except .22lr. :)

Lp 

Edited by Lowpower

Congrats. I use Rock Chuckers and load everything I shoot except 22.

Another recommendation is buy at least one other loading book. You can never have too many.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are some very knowledgeable folks her that are happy to help .

• Like 2

Now that it appears the supply or reloading supplies may be a little easier to find, I decided to try my hand at reloading. I thought I would start a thread to, (1)  introduce myself to other reloaders and (2) apologize in advance for the questions I am sure to post in the coming days, months and weeks. 

I guess the first order of business is to say welcome to the reloading club! I started reloading in about the same way, for the same reason, not to long ago, myself.

If I may make 1 suggestion: why don't you tell us what part of the state you are in and maybe someone here will be close to you.

I am located in Knoxville

I guess the first order of business is to say welcome to the reloading club! I started reloading in about the same way, for the same reason, not to long ago, myself.

If I may make 1 suggestion: why don't you tell us what part of the state you are in and maybe someone here will be close to you.

Ok, so I have not down a bit more research on loads to try.  I am planning to try loads for both the 223 and 308, but I can't find anywhere that has the components in stock. Specifically, I'm looking for the following:

Primers: Federal 210m or CCI BR2s for the 308. CCI small rifle primers 400 or cci #41 for the 223 AR. 

Powder: Varget for the 308 and Varget or Ramshot Tac for the 223.

Bullets: Either 175g SMK or 175g Bergers for the 308 and 77 grain SMK's for the 223. 

So far my search has been limited to MidwayUSA and Sinclairs. Are there other places I should be looking or should I just sign up to be notified and try to order before they sell out again. 

Ok, so I have not down a bit more research on loads to try. I am planning to try loads for both the 223 and 308, but I can't find anywhere that has the components in stock. Specifically, I'm looking for the following:

Primers: Federal 210m or CCI BR2s for the 308. CCI small rifle primers 400 or cci #41 for the 223 AR.

Bullets: Either 175g SMK or 175g Bergers for the 308 and 77 grain SMK's for the 223.

So far my search has been limited to MidwayUSA and Sinclairs. Are there other places I should be looking or should I just sign up to be notified and try to order before they sell out again.

Have no idea if they have what you need right now, but here is a list of places I've ordered from over the years.

Midway
Graf and Sons http://www.grafs.com/
Powder Valley http://powdervalleyinc.com/
Brassman Brass http://store.brassmanbrass.com/
Widener's http://www.wideners.com/

And of course there is David who is a vendor on this forum. You don't want to be ordering powder or primers unless you're going to order a whole lot at a time. So buy from David at the gun shows.

I am in Knoxville too and will be happy to assist you if you need it. I started handloading on a Rockchucker when I was 14 years old. I just turned 40. Don't feel it, but the numbers don't lie, I guess. :)

Will Edited by Clod Stomper

Even though I'm still looking for components, I went ahead and set up my press.  I had a little trouble figuring out exactly how the priming bar/sleeve, etc went on, but eventually figured it out and I plan to use the hand primer anyway. I lubed five 223 cases and ran them through the sizing die, so now I have 5 tumbled, shiny, resized cases with primers removed. 

Great now you have some cases but have you measured them? I don't know if there any similar shops in your area but here we have a small shop that also offers reloading classes. One of there newest additions to the shop is a Giraud trimmer. They even rent it for an hourly charge. That might help you go to the next step. Besides buying more than one book for load data I also check the powder manufacturers website. Another good source is castpics.net. The have copies of old manuals and from the powders companies also. Just click on the Free Manuals link. http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Freebies/default.html

I have used the following suppliers also:

Midsouth Shooters Supply http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com
Natchez Shooters Supply http://www.natchezss.com

Natchez has some primers and bullets. Very limited on powders. Midsouthss had some bullets and everything else was real limited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'll start by recommending the Lee case trimmer and lock stud. You can chuck this in a hand drill, or else turn it by hand. You buy a case length gauge and shellholder for each caliber you need. They are very inexpensive, accurate, and easy to use. You should chamfer each case inside and outside every time you trim them to remove burrs left from trimming. Your chamfer tool can also be used to remove the primer crimp from military brass.

For lube, I like the tube of Lee case sizing lube. It is wax based. You rub a little on the body of the case, and perhaps just a touch on the end of the case mouth, resize, and wipe off with a clean rag. The wax lubes won't dent the case shoulder if you accidently get some on there like an oil based lube will.

Follow the directions in your loading manual, and included with your die sets, use only published loads, starting on the low end and working your way up slowly while watching for pressure signs and you'll be o.k.

You might want to start with some less costly primers, powder, and bullets to get started, and also until supplies return to normal levels at the store. I get very good accuracy from IMR powders, and standard cup and core bullets.

I'll be happy to answer any questions I have the answers to while you're getting started. I'm sure many others will do the same.

Ok, so I have not down a bit more research on loads to try.  I am planning to try loads for both the 223 and 308, but I can't find anywhere that has the components in stock. Specifically, I'm looking for the following:

Primers: Federal 210m or CCI BR2s for the 308. CCI small rifle primers 400 or cci #41 for the 223 AR. 

I think this is wishful thinking and going to be, at the best, a lot of extra effort on your part, if not impossible to accomplish right now.   Much like ammo, reloading components are somewhat in short supply and much like ammo, you take what you can find and use it.   If you can find what you want, that is awesome, if not, it all goes bang :)

There are some excellent recommendations for supply sources...but unfortunately Natchez Shooter's supply, because of vendor agreements, doesn't sell to TN residents.

I think buying from David at our local gunshows is an excellent suggestion. Here's his website: http://www.magnummaterialstn.com/

You can sign up for e-mail alerts at the several vendors listed, but like it was mentioned, because of HazMat fees, it's best to order large volumes at one time.

Welcome to an excellent addiction. :cool:

I have added a few more pieces of equipment, specifically a case trimmer, set of 308 dies (Lee Precision Deluxe), Lyman Flash Hole tool, Arsenal electric calipers and an RCBS powder stand. I am doing to try to get 100 rounds of both 223 and 308 tumbled, re-sized and trimmed this week. 

As far components go, I checked with David and he has a lot of what I need but I was unfortunately out of State this past weekend and wasn't able to make the gun show in Knoxville. I have picked up a bullets (SMK 175g and 77G for the 308 and 223 respectively). I found some BR4 primers online but you can only buy 5000 so I'm holding off for now. 

I have expanded my search a bit for primers and powders after finding some information on various loads, which will hopefully be a little easier to come by then CCI primers and Varget powder. If I can't find anything in the next couple of weeks, I will try get with David when he is back in Knoxville next month.

In the meantime, I may run my first 3gun match this weekend over at ORSA. 

I have added a few more pieces of equipment, specifically a case trimmer, set of 308 dies (Lee Precision Deluxe), Lyman Flash Hole tool, Arsenal electric calipers and an RCBS powder stand. I am doing to try to get 100 rounds of both 223 and 308 tumbled, re-sized and trimmed this week. 

As far components go, I checked with David and he has a lot of what I need but I was unfortunately out of State this past weekend and wasn't able to make the gun show in Knoxville. I have picked up a bullets (SMK 175g and 77G for the 308 and 223 respectively). I found some BR4 primers online but you can only buy 5000 so I'm holding off for now. 

I have expanded my search a bit for primers and powders after finding some information on various loads, which will hopefully be a little easier to come by then CCI primers and Varget powder. If I can't find anything in the next couple of weeks, I will try get with David when he is back in Knoxville next month.

In the meantime, I may run my first 3gun match this weekend over at ORSA. 

Most places I have been have a 1k limit on primers lately, exception was the last gunshow where you could buy all you could afford at 125% the normal price. 

I was down in Livingston, TN this morning for work and saw a little gun store as I was leaving town so I stopped by. Aptly named "The Gun Shop," it is located just off Main Street as you are heading South out of town (I was heading back to I-40). I was happy to find they had a pretty good selection of Powder and Primers in stock and the guys working were very helpful.

I  picked up primers and powder for reloading 223, (Accurate Arms 2015 powder and both Rem 7 1/2 and CCI 400 primers). I also picked up powder to try for 308 (Accurate Arms 2460) and primers (Federal 210M). Bullets from Graf's should arrive this afternoon, which means I will finally have all the components I need to process my first handloads. 

I will update next week and let you know how it went. 

Edited by dangerdanjd