5.56/.223 Case Prep and Handload Question(s)

I need some advice from the knowledgeable folks here on TGO.

I have handloaded 5.56 before, even recently. I used IMR 3031 (extruded powder), new .223 brass and some once fired .223 brass.

I shoot my handloads out of my old Bushmaster 16” Dissipator with a 1:9 twist.

I plan to increase the volume of my 5.56/.223 handloading…But only to a few hundred rounds per batch.

I do not own a brass trimmer.

The powders I have on hand are IMR 3031, Winchester 748, and Accurate 2230. I have Federal and Wolf Small Rifle Primers.

So…My Questions, if you folks would be so kind.

What are your recommendations in regards a brass trimmer?

I am considering a [url=http://www.midwayusa.com/product/614276/forster-original-case-trimmer-kit] Forster Original Case Trimmer Kit[/url].

I have also read the [url=http://www.midwayusa.com/product/997722/little-crow-gunworks-worlds-finest-trimmer-223-remington] Little Crow trimmer[/url] recommended here at TGO….so it is still a consideration…but perhaps for a later time and date. My funds are a bit tight these days, I’m sure most folks are in the same boat…

Which headspace gage do you recommend?

I looked at this [url=http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456614/le-wilson-case-length-headspace-gage-223-remington] L.E.Wilson Case Length Headspace gage[/url].

Anyone with experience using the above powders, especially AA 2230 and Win 748?

Thanks in advance folks.

Disclaimer: I did do a search or two....but my cyberskills are weak... :pleased:

My funds are a bit tight these days, I’m sure most folks are in the same boat…

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476992/lee-case-trimmer-cutter-and-lock-stud

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/107333/lee-case-length-gage-and-shellholder-223-Remington

Here's what I use. You'll also want a chamfer tool.

I've had great results with IMR 4320 in 223/556.

Why do you want a headspace gauge?

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

For the low volume reloading you are going to do the Lee trimmer will work fine. Chuck it into a cordless drill and go.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476992/lee-case-trimmer-cutter-and-lock-stud

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/107333/lee-case-length-gage-and-shellholder-223-remington

I just made up a list for a fellow TGO member and the Lee trimmer was what I recommended for him. It isn't for people who are loading thousands of rounds at a time but if you are loading a few hundred it is easy and pretty quick.

Chamfering is not required but it keeps the bullet from getting shaved as it is seated. Sometimes the bullet can catch the case mouth and crush the neck if you don't chamfer. Personally I chamfer but I know people who don't, they just use a scotchbrite pad to remove and flashing that is left over from the trimming process. They trim then spin the case back up and use the pad to remove any burrs.

Although the case length gauge is nice, it is not required. I have never used one for my 223 or any other rifle cartridge. Make sure your shell holder and die touch each other when sizing and the piece of brass will be SAAMI spec as long as the die isn't messed up.

For a first time 223 loader I always recommend Varget. The reason is you cannot get enough powder in the case to cause a problem.

• Like 1

As always you guys come through with great advice. Thanks!

Greg...For the very reason Leroy mentioned. Sometimes it's a bit of a scheduling challenge for me to make it to the range. But I'll only load a few, check them, then commit to a greater volume. The headspace gage is just a fail-safe check.

I've never seen the linked trimmer setup Dolomite. Much obliged.

btw. I'm using my new [url=http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0004411107] Black Box Remington Small Base Die set[/url].

I'm with you on the safety factor you mentioned when using the Varget Dolomite. I hand weigh loads using the 3031. I've actually used it recently for .30-30 and 5.56.

I'm still having a bit of a challenge locating powders sans the HazMat fee...that's why I plan on using the 5 pounds of the above listed powders before buying additional.

These will only be practice and training rounds fwiw.

Thanks again folks. :hat:

+1 on the lee cutters - cheap and effective for low volume prep work

You will want to get a chamfer IMHO as ie found the lee cutters to sometimes "flatten" the edges of the trimmed case mouth. The outside debur/chamfer takes care of this. An rcbs trim mate is your friend here for @$100

I'm on of those anal people who does use a case gage. I prefer the dillon ones since they're stainless and won't rust
  • Like 1
Guest warhwkbb

Lots of good advice here.  I use an RCBS Trim Pro-2 powered by an electric drill.  More importantly, I use the 3-Way Cutter 22 Caliber. This trims, chamfers and deburr's all at once.  I can do about 600 or so an hour. 

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/817007/rcbs-trim-pro-2-manual-case-trimmer-kit

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/145038/rcbs-trim-pro-case-trimmer-3-way-cutter-22-caliber

I've had really good groups with 25 grains of 2230 with a 55 grain Nosler Ballistic tip and 26 grain with a 50 grain Nosler.Both shot from a Stevens model 200 and Savage model 10 PC,both 1/9 twist.I've also had good luck with IMR 4320 with 65 and 69 grain bullets.
  • Like 1
Guest TresOsos

Depends on how much your going to do. I ended up adding the power unit to my RCBS Trim Pro.

The available 3-Way cutters save time too.

If your using once fired Military brass you really need to check the OAL.

Brass fired through a M249 SAW can exceed max OAL and if not trimmed, well you could have a catastrophic failure.

I own one of the WFT from little crow, it has been the best investment I've gone for when it comes to .223. I have the lee, and its great for small amounts, but got to a point that I hated trimming brass. The WFT from crow is sweet! Super fast, was easy to adjust, and is dead nuts on every time. My trimming volume has increase more and I don't mind doing it now.

If we were closer I'd let you give it a run and compare both it and the lee.
  • Like 1

Thank you all! :up:

I placed an order yesterday to Midway for the trimmer setup that Dolomite and Greg recommended, along with the case gage that Leroy recommended.

That should get me started on my brass trimming.

I honestly have no idea how much I'll be handloading, and therefore trimming 5.56...I've handloaded well in excess of 100,000 handgun rounds over the years and it's definitely been saving me a bundle, especially these days. So if this follows suit..ie  I handload more, so I shoot more...then I'm sure I'll step up my equipment.

I recall seeing the Little Crow mentioned several times here at TGO. Midway is out of stock at the present, but I've added it to my "wish list".

Thanks for the thoughts Wiljo. Much appreciated.

I also appreciate the load data Jeff. :hat:

I've used IMR 3031 off and on for a long time with good results.

Does anyone have any loads using Win 748 they'd like to share?

Thanks again to all.

I knew you folks would come through with great advice! :pleased:

I need some advice from the knowledgeable folks here on TGO.

I have handloaded 5.56 before, even recently. I used IMR 3031 (extruded powder), new .223 brass and some once fired .223 brass.

I shoot my handloads out of my old Bushmaster 16” Dissipator with a 1:9 twist.

I plan to increase the volume of my 5.56/.223 handloading…But only to a few hundred rounds per batch.

I do not own a brass trimmer.

The powders I have on hand are IMR 3031, Winchester 748, and Accurate 2230. I have Federal and Wolf Small Rifle Primers.

So…My Questions, if you folks would be so kind.

What are your recommendations in regards a brass trimmer?

I am considering a Forster Original Case Trimmer Kit.

I have also read the Little Crow trimmer recommended here at TGO….so it is still a consideration…but perhaps for a later time and date. My funds are a bit tight these days, I’m sure most folks are in the same boat…

Which headspace gage do you recommend?

I looked at this L.E.Wilson Case Length Headspace gage.

Anyone with experience using the above powders, especially AA 2230 and Win 748?

Thanks in advance folks.

Disclaimer: I did do a search or two....but my cyberskills are weak... :pleased:

I do not use a case gauge.  My trimmers, both of them, trim the case to a fixed length, so they are good to go without needing an extra widgit.   I was using the lee power-drill trimmers, but finally bought a real trimmer.  I can't comment on your choice.  I picked the RCBS trimmer and so far it has done very well for me.

I use 2230.  It has worked very well for me, so far.  2230 also has provided excellent light target loads for my larger rifles,  in 308, 7.65, and other calibers.  Its not ideal in those calibers for full loads (though it can do it), but  it has been a dream in the mauser, super accurate result with the reduced load.  It burns clean in my loads, though some of the "clean" factor is related to load data; any powder can make a mess if it does not burn fully.   I have literally shot several thousand of the 223s with this powder, and no issues (well, early on I was not working the brass properly and had some problems but it was not the powder).

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

Even just a few hundred through the Lee case trimmer is painfully slow, even when chucked up in a drill. Which you can do without buying anything else, I am not sure why the guy in the video is doing it by hand. I found that mine has a pretty bad wobble to it, the shaft most likely has a bend in it. I ditched that setup for .223 and picked up the WFT well worth the money. I still use the lee trimmers for larger calibers in which I just do 20-100 cases. For the money though the lee trimmers are alright, they were not really meant for speed.

I run a Lee on a drill and it isn't bad at all. I will say that the locking ring can be a pain to get tight sometimes so I added a small handle to it to give me a little more leverage. I drilled a hole in the side of the locking ring then drilled it, tapped it and installed a screw. It lets me get it tight now with the additional leverage.

• Like 2

There are so many powders one can use in 5.56 loads. It's best to find what's available and grab a quantity of it.

You can find load data on every powder everyone has noted on here. The only problem getting stuck loving one

over another is it may not be there next time you try to find it. That Varget is a prime example. 3031 is spotty, also,

but when it comes in grab it.

I don't chamfer my 5.56, just trim and brush, kinda like what Gordon said about using a pad to clean the trash up.

I do get a bit more picky on the other rifle calibers I load small amounts of.

There are so many powders one can use in 5.56 loads. It's best to find what's available and grab a quantity of it.

You can find load data on every powder everyone has noted on here. The only problem getting stuck loving one

over another is it may not be there next time you try to find it. That Varget is a prime example. 3031 is spotty, also,

but when it comes in grab it.

Good point on the powders.

I've certainly learned during this episode not to get hung up on a particular powder. And that's actually been good for me...I discovered American Select for 9mm. I've used Unique for more 25 years and didn't see any need to change. I've found I like the AmSel even better. Go figure. :cool:

As I mentioned in the opening post, the powders I have on hand are IMR 3031, Winchester 748, and Accurate 2230...a pound of each. So I'll play with them and see what shakes. I plan to pick up additional powders (as suggested) as the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks again folks.

Good point on the powders.

I've certainly learned during this episode not to get hung up on a particular powder. And that's actually been good for me...I discovered American Select for 9mm. I've used Unique for more 25 years and didn't see any need to change. I've found I like the AmSel even better. Go figure. :cool:

As I mentioned in the opening post, the powders I have on hand are IMR 3031, Winchester 748, and Accurate 2230...a pound of each. So I'll play with them and see what shakes. I plan to pick up additional powders (as suggested) as the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks again folks.

If you shoot a lot I highly recommend looking for a bigger jug than 1 pound.  Most powders, 1 pound will only make 250 or so rounds give or take.  Which are gone fast in an AR.

If you shoot a lot I highly recommend looking for a bigger jug than 1 pound.  Most powders, 1 pound will only make 250 or so rounds give or take.  Which are gone fast in an AR.

LOL Jonnin.

I with you Buddy.

The one pounders I mentioned are the only one pounders I own. I picked them up as "samples" when I would placed my normal powder orders. I have several 4 and 8 pounders in my locker for handgun.

Since I have experience with 3031, I plan on picking up an 8 pounder of it. But I plan to try a few others for 5.56/.23, find an easy flowing ball or flake, and make a combined order to save on HazMat.

Like I mentioned, I like 3031...but being extruded, I measure/weight one at a time...no biggie for a hundred rounds, but tedious for volume.

I'm looking forward to working with the 2230 you recommended.

Just a little feedback.

I finally had the opportunity to give the Lee Trimmer a try this morning.

Since I've never trimmed brass before...and that's with a long history of handloading for pistol and revolver...I trimmed my first 50 pieces of 5.56 totally by hand (no drill) just to get a "feel" for it.

I then use my little Skil screwdriver (kind pistol shaped device I've had for years). Simply outstanding! :up:

This setup will certainly meet my needs for now. btw....it took me about 1 hour to trim and prep the first 100 pieces...the second 50 took about 1/2 the time of the first. So I'm confident as I gain greater familiarity, my speed with the setup will increase.

The Little Crow is still on my "want list". But that'll have to wait for a bit.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions and input. :cheers:

• Like 1