Knoxville Area Carry for New Guy

Guest squatch

My wife is currently looking for a job in the Knoxville area and when she gets one we will be moving there.  I have some questions regarding concealed carry.  

I have a NC permit, and I believe that as long as TN has reciprocity with NC I don't have to file for a new permit correct?  

Also are Knoxville parks off limits to carry?

I am assuming that storing a handgun in your car while on a college campus is illegal? (NC passed parking lot storage for campuses this year)

Is there a uniform parking lot storage law for employees of businesses? (NC also just passed this)

And one more thing, are pocket knives banned on college campuses?  Seems like I read that they were somewhere.

Thanks

Edited by squatch
Guest tdoccrossvilletn
[quote name="squatch" post="1035616" timestamp="1379568574"] My wife is currently looking for a job in the Knoxville area and when she gets one we will be moving there. I have some questions regarding concealed carry. I have a NC permit, and I believe that as long as TN has reciprocity with NC I don't have to file for a new permit correct? Also are Knoxville parks off limits to carry? I am assuming that storing a handgun in your car while on a college campus is illegal? (NC passed parking lot storage for campuses this year) Is there a uniform parking lot storage law for employees of businesses? (NC also just passed this) And one more thing, are pocket knives banned on college campuses? Seems like I read that they were somewhere. Thanks[/quote] No, I think you do have to file for a tn permit within 6 months. Knoxville parks and most parks that are city are off limits to carry in. You are correct you can't have a gun in your vehicle on school grounds. You can now carry to your place of work or say a mall where the parking lot is posted like Bradley Square Mall in Cleveland and leave your gun in your vehicle. Before you could not. Be advised though that TN is an employment at will state. You can pretty much be fired at any time for any reason. Odds are if your car is searched and you're found to be in possession of the gun at work you will more than likely be fired. There is no protection against that. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy. Edited by tdoccrossvilletn

No, I think you do have to file for a tn permit within 6 months. Knoxville parks and most parks that are city are off limits to carry in. You are correct you can't have a gun in your vehicle on school grounds. You can now carry to your place of work or say a mall where the parking lot is posted like Bradley Square Mall in Cleveland and leave your gun in your vehicle. Before you could not. Be advised though that TN is an employment at will state. You can pretty much be fired at any time for any reason. Odds are if your car is searched and you're found to be in possession of the gun at work you will more than likely be fired. There is no protection against that. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

You've got some wrong info there.

Knox County Parks are good to carry in. City of Knoxville are no go, but if you get caught it's only a $50 fine.

You could have a gun in your car before if you were a non-student, but now anyone with an HCP can legally have one. But again, if they search your car, they may kick you out of school or fire you. Of course, a legal battle has a good chance of winning these days.

Knox County Parks are good to carry in. City of Knoxville are no go, but if you get caught it's only a $50 fine.

While the above is correct, determining the difference between a city park and a county park isn't the easiest thing.  Knowing when you're on UT property also isn't the easiest thing. 

• Like 1
Guest tdoccrossvilletn

While the above is correct, determining the difference between a city park and a county park isn't the easiest thing. Knowing when you're on UT property also isn't the easiest thing.

Exactly

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

Note that Knoxville city parks do not have to be posted for the no carry

Knox County Parks are good to carry in. City of Knoxville are no go, but if you get caught it's only a $50 fine...

Maybe, probably. The ordinance also carries possibility of 30 days jail time, guess it would depend on how much they chose to grind axe.

Note that Knoxville City parks do not have to be posted, as they legally fall back on pre 1986 local ordinance rather than use the state statute.

I'm told that several of the outlying  greenways go back and forth from city/county/city or county/city/county, depending on which way you're going.

My advice -- don't open carry. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

I saw this on handgunlaws.us 

Tennessee will issue Non-Resident Permit/Licenses to individuals who meet the qualifications as listed 
below.
39-17-1351. Handgun Carry Permits
(C) (i) If a person who is a resident of and handgun permit holder in another state is employed in this state 
on a regular basis and desires to carry a handgun in this state, the person shall have six (6) months from the 
last day of the sixth month of regular employment in this state to obtain a Tennessee handgun carry permit. 
The permit may be issued based on the person having a permit from another state provided the other state has 
substantially similar permit eligibility requirements as this state. However, if during the six-month period the 
person applies for a handgun permit in this state and the application is denied, the person shall not be 
allowed to carry a handgun in this state based upon the other state's permit.
(ii) The provisions of this subdivision (r)(3)(C) shall not apply if the state of residence of the person 
employed in Tennessee has entered into a handgun permit reciprocity agreement with this state pursuant to 
this subsection (r).
(iii) As used in this subdivision (r)(3)(C), “employed in this state on a regular basis” means a person has 
been gainfully employed in this state for at least thirty (30) hours a week for six (6) consecutive months not 
counting any absence from employment caused by the employee's use of sick leave, annual leave, 
administrative leave or compensatory time.

The red portion leads me to believe that I would be fine keeping my NC permit.  Also I should have stated that I will have dual residency in NC.

That may be wishful thinking squatch.

But just give them a call and ask.That's what I did when I moved here in '06. I found them helpful and the process painless.

Welcome to the Knoxville area btw. :hat:

Best advice yet. :up:

Who exactly do I call, the attorney general, Knox county sheriff, etc?  In NC I know I would call the county sheriff but I am not sure how it works over there.

Thanks

Who exactly do I call, the attorney general, Knox county sheriff, etc?  In NC I know I would call the county sheriff but I am not sure how it works over there.

Thanks

Here's the website:

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgunmain.shtml

And from the website:

Program Director, Lisa Knight
1150 Foster Avenue
Nashville, TN 37243
(615) 251-8590

I hope this helps.

Who exactly do I call, the attorney general, Knox county sheriff, etc? In NC I know I would call the county sheriff but I am not sure how it works over there.

Thanks

You should call Nashville. Knox co sheriff, and Knox city PD, and post the answers you get. Then we'll all get a laugh because none of them will be correct.
  • Like 4

You should call Nashville. Knox co sheriff, and Knox city PD, and post the answers you get. Then we'll all get a laugh because none of them will be correct.

Well hopefully I get the right answer somewhere in there.  I dont want to break the law because they all give me conflicting statements.  Why cant laws be written so simpe minded folks can understand  :shrug:. 

(ii) The provisions of this subdivision (r)(3)(C) shall not apply if the state of residence of the person 
employed in Tennessee has entered into a handgun permit reciprocity agreement with this state pursuant to 
this subsection (r).

The red portion leads me to believe that I would be fine keeping my NC permit.  Also I should have stated that I will have dual residency in NC.

I think you are perfectly correct. However, you'll find that the "dual residency" concept is actually a myth, practically if not legally. For those who drive, it'll basically come down to which state in which you have a driver's license, really. About the closest thing to that, at least firearms wise are active duty military, who are allowed to consider both their address of record and their permanent duty location as "dual" residences (and maybe for some other purposes too, dunno).

Seems to me, if it's okay with NC and TN for you to keep your NC DL and carry permit, you'd fit into the exception, but if you get a TN DL, I'd think you could run into probs miliking the NC carry permit more than the 60 days.

The "dual residency" really only comes down to the privilege of paying taxes in more than one state. :)

Oh, and yeah, IANAL!

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I thought there was a law passed recently allowing guns in locked vehicles on school grounds. Guess I better check on that.

There is, took force July 1.

Basically, with permit, locked in permit holder's privately-owned motor vehicle private vehicle, and kept from ordinary observation.

Hasn't been included in Lexis yet, but can paste entire bill as it was passed if you like.

But note it doesn't keep you from being fired or expelled from the school, at least till that happens and it gets tested in the courts.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

But note it doesn't keep you from being fired or expelled from the school, at least till that happens and it gets tested in the courts.

- OS

Yep, PSTCC sent out this lovely email at the beginning of the semester.

Students,

TBR Student Policy 3-02-00-01, General Regulations on Student Conduct & Disciplinary Sanctions prohibits the possession of weapons by students on campus.
Weapons are defined as - Firearms and Other Dangerous Weapons. Any possession of or use of firearms, dangerous weapons of any kind, or replica/toy guns, e.g. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, water guns, cap guns, toy knives or other items that simulate firearms or dangerous weapons.

This policy states that it is a violation of TBR policy for a student to have a handgun in their privately owned vehicle even if they possess a valid handgun permit.

Students who violate this policy may be subject to arrest, disciplinary sanctions and/or both.

Click on the link below to see TBR Student Policy 3-02-00-01, General Regulations on Student Conduct & Disciplinary Sanctions

https://policies.tbr.edu/

Fred Breiner
Director of Safety and Security
Pellissippi State Community College

Well hopefully I get the right answer somewhere in there.  I dont want to break the law because they all give me conflicting statements.  Why cant laws be written so simpe minded folks can understand  :shrug:. 

Because this is TN and laws are written by lawyers....

At the end of the day, I'm not aware of a single case in which a person has been convicted of carrying in the wrong place without extenuating circumstances.

Yep, PSTCC sent out this lovely email at the beginning of the semester.....

This policy states that it is a violation of TBR policy for a student to have a handgun in their privately owned vehicle even if they possess a valid handgun permit.

Students who violate this policy may be subject to arrest, disciplinary sanctions and/or both.

Well, the "arrest" part is surely invalid, assuming one abides by terms in the new statute.

- OS

Carrying on Knoxville/Knox Cty green-ways should not be a 'Where's Waldo' exercise.

Heck, with the crap that has happened on some of the greenways, etc. lately there should be a policy in place that they can only be open to the public if one out of every three persons on the greenway is legally carrying.

• Like 1