Some people think those that sky drive are crazy for jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.

vontar

Some people think those that sky drive are crazy for jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.

However then you read the following.  First thought is why didn't they jump.  (I am sure there are reasons related to the crash)

(CNN) -- Ten skydivers and the pilot of a small private plane died Saturday when their aircraft crashed

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/19/world/europe/belgium-plane-crash/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Edited by vontar

Probably occurred on take-off. There was likely no time for anything like that and they were likely not high enough in any case.

If they would have been high enough to jump, they would have been high enough for emergency landing.

Probably occurred on take-off. There was likely no time for anything like that and they were likely not high enough in any case.

If they would have been high enough to jump, they would have been high enough for emergency landing.

you are most likely correct on that.

• Moderators

I've made a couple of jumps and I never jumped out of a "perfectly good airplane". I have jumped from several "moderately reliable" aircraft and one Cessna that looked like it had been through a few bird strikes. By bird strikes I mean someone's ex wife had taken a baseball bat to it in a fit of rage

Edited by Chucktshoes
I started skydiving in 82, there was a bad accident in the 80's involving a Loadstar at 12K and I believe only 2 of the 12 were able to get out of the plane. What happened is that the plane stalled at altitude when all the skydivers suddenly moved to the back where the door was, the plane went into a spin and the G forces were so great no one else was able to move much less get out. If I were to speculate I would say that extream G forces from a spin kept the skydivers from getting out of the plane.

When I was a teenager I wanted to sky dive.  Believe it or not, I remember the moment I lost my nerve to consider it.

I was about 22, I was dating my wife at the time and I realized that if something happened to me, it wasn't just me, but it would bother/affect other people.  Never had a desire to Skydive since.

When I was a teenager I wanted to sky dive. Believe it or not, I remember the moment I lost my nerve to consider it.
I was about 22, I was dating my wife at the time and I realized that if something happened to me, it wasn't just me, but it would bother/affect other people. Never had a desire to Skydive since.

Getting married and having kids will definitely change your perspective on things. There are a lot of things I did before my kids were born that I didn't think twice about. Once my son was born I was no longer capable of doing the things I once did.
  • Like 1
Guest nra37922

Getting married and having kids will definitely change your perspective on things. There are a lot of things I did before my kids were born that I didn't think twice about. Once my son was born I was no longer capable of doing the things I once did.

Don't know about this...  Getting married maybe a good reason to take up risky activities like skydiving....

Guest drv2fst

I've been skydiving.  It's a rush, something you will never forget.  Was married at the time but that was before we had kids.  I don't know if I'd try it again.  Driving is probably much more dangerous.

"You would have to jump 17 times per year for your risk of dying in a skydiving accident to equal your risk of dying in a car accident if you drive 10,000 miles per year"

I've been skydiving. It's a rush, something you will never forget. Was married at the time but that was before we had kids. I don't know if I'd try it again. Driving is probably much more dangerous.

"You would have to jump 17 times per year for your risk of dying in a skydiving accident to equal your risk of dying in a car accident if you drive 10,000 miles per year"

I'm willing to believe that statistic at face value, but then again, I don't skydive my way to work. Not anymore, anyhow.
  • Like 2

Did jumps in military which was required. For those of us that did it in military how many did a  Halo Jump? I did 11 of them during my time in Service and for those of you that have never done one take my word for it. You have not missed anything you think you might like................jmho

if someone can show me a perfectly good aircraft, I will sell them the 40 acres and a mule I have. 

Actually our mechanic has several of them... they're homemade, radio controlled and most of them have a wingspan of between 30 and 48 inches. I like them best when they're just sitting on the ground being quiet and perfectly good. :pleased:

Guest TankerHC

Back around 82 or so (Some of you may remember this) I was in Germany and some US and French Airborne were doing a jump from the back of a Chinook, I think for a show. A cotter pin broke and one of the props disengaged from an engine and the Chinook crashed, IIRC about 60 of them died.

In 96 when I was at Hood, on North Fort, same thing happened, maintenance test pilot and crew, including one female PFC were out on a Chinook and a cotter pin broke, engine came completely off, killed all three of them.

But even getting out isnt a guarantee, even if your chute opens. Anyone remember the 82nd fiasco at NTC back in the early 90's. Some of those guys were dragged across the desert 5 miles, where they found the bodies.

EDIT: Just found it. 46 died, not 60. Wasnt the pin, that was at Hood. But the engine did come off this Chinook. And there were Americans on board.

September 11 (1982) – (Mannheim, Germany) – A United States Army CH-47 Chinook (serial number 74-22292) crashed while carrying British, French, and German parachutists who planned to jump when the helicopter reached an altitude of 12,000 ft (3,700 m). All 46 aboard were killed. The crash was later found to be caused by an accumulation of ground walnut shells that had been used to clean the machinery.

Would one of you air crew members please explain the ground walnut shells?

Edited by TankerHC
  • Moderators

Back around 82 or so (Some of you may remember this) I was in Germany and some US and French Airborne were doing a jump from the back of a Chinook, I think for a show. A cotter pin broke and one of the props disengaged from an engine and the Chinook crashed, IIRC about 60 of them died.

In 96 when I was at Hood, on North Fort, same thing happened, maintenance test pilot and crew, including one female PFC were out on a Chinook and a cotter pin broke, engine came completely off, killed all three of them.

But even getting out isnt a guarantee, even if your chute opens. Anyone remember the 82nd fiasco at NTC back in the early 90's. Some of those guys were dragged across the desert 5 miles, where they found the bodies.

EDIT: Just found it. 46 died, not 60. Wasnt the pin, that was at Hood. But the engine did come off this Chinook. And there were Americans on board.

September 11 (1982) – (Mannheim, Germany) – A United States Army CH-47 Chinook (serial number 74-22292) crashed while carrying British, French, and German parachutists who planned to jump when the helicopter reached an altitude of 12,000 ft (3,700 m). All 46 aboard were killed. The crash was later found to be caused by an accumulation of ground walnut shells that had been used to clean the machinery.

Would one of you air crew members please explain the ground walnut shells?

Walnut shells used as a blasting media I would imagine.

I've made a couple of jumps and I never jumped out of a "perfectly good airplane". I have jumped from several "moderately reliable" aircraft and one Cessna that looked like it had been through a few bird strikes. By bird strikes I mean someone's ex wife had taken a baseball bat to it in a fit of rage

Yep.  Skydiving planes... they have gauges, sometimes a few even work.

Walnut shells used as a blasting media I would imagine.

Yep.  Walnut shells are a common blasting media used to clean parts.  Trouble is, the media gets in every little nook and crevice in the part and tends to require considerable effort to ensure you remove all of it. 

A little google-fu tells me the pinion bearing in the forward rotor transmission failed due to lack of lubrication.   The oil nozzles were clogged with walnut shell debris that wasn't properly removed when the transmission was previously cleaned.

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/case/reporter/F2/769/769.F2d.115.84-1446.html

Static line only, zero free falls, Zero accidents. I got my wings....I have no reason to strap on a "chute' ever again!

DaveS

Really? 5 jump Chump?   man, I've had the itch since I found a place in Florida to do static line jumps, land and water jumps, out of various A/C to include DC-3.. 

I stopped jumping when we found out my wife was pregnant. I had just passed 2K jumps at that time.

Very few of the planes I jumped out of were in bad shape, but I can certainly say that none of them were "perfectly good"

Except maybe the biplane. That thing was cherry.