Bushnell AR 1-4x BTR Reticle

Guys, I've been in the market for a 1-4x optic for my soon to be go-fast AR.  I narrowed it down to the Bushnell, with similar models from Burris and Leupold competing.  I like this one for the reticle and the throw arm to adjust quickly between 1 and 4 pwr.  Being cheaper than the other options was certainly a plus, but I just want to make sure what I'm sacrificing on quality isn't too significant.  I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this but just wanted to get an idea from anyone who has experience with this one to give me their opinion. 

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/343491/bushnell-ar-optics-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-4x-24mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-first-focal-illuminated-btr-1-reticle-matte

I don't have experience with that one, but it appears to be a good option for the money. I agree, the quick adjuster arm is a nice feature.

I'd give it a try if I was in the market for one.

Have you checked locally to see if you can handle one in person?

I don't have experience with that one, but it appears to be a good option for the money. I agree, the quick adjuster arm is a nice feature.

I'd give it a try if I was in the market for one.

Have you checked locally to see if you can handle one in person?

I'm not local right now so I can't get my hands on one. I've been eyeing 1-4x optics for a while and now that I'm getting ready to come back to town I'm motivated to get one ordered. I'm going on a trip in a few weeks and will be accessing a private range, so I figured I'd use the opportunity to zero a new optic.

Go down to your local Walmart, they sell them. You might get it a little cheaper. At least you can get hands on before buying. They also have a cheaper version that is $189 that is a 2 focal plane without illum. I will say that those scopes are heavy for what they are, good or bad depending on what you think.

For a quick throw lever they sell these and the best part is they work on any scope.

http://www.amazon.com/Breakaway-Nylon-Coasters/dp/B009SPDU3C

Originally they were used to hold reels to rods.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

Go down to your local Walmart, they sell them. You might get it a little cheaper. At least you can get hands on before buying. They also have a cheaper version that is $189 that is a 2 focal plane without illum. I will say that those scopes are heavy for what they are, good or bad depending on what you think.

For a quick throw lever they sell these and the best part is they work on any scope.
http://www.amazon.com/Breakaway-Nylon-Coasters/dp/B009SPDU3C
Originally they were used to hold reels to rods.

Those are pretty neat for throw levers. I'm kinda fixated on the idea after having one of those 1-4x elcans before I got out of the biz. I really dug the throw lever and wish a company would make one similar that doesn't cost twice my mortgage payment.

I looked at the cheaper bushnell scope but it didnt do it for me; the reticle was junk for what I want it for. They look to be priced the same on Midway though. I was able to find the scope I posted above for $20 cheaper on Amazon with free shipping, so I'm walking away with a scope and PEPR mount for $330, which I don't think is a bad deal.

I have the non illuminated model on my 300 blackout.Shoots straight at 135 yards and keeps it there.I think for the money they are a good scope.
Posted Image

I don't doubt it, I just didnt care for the crosshair reticle, other wise I probably would have sprung for that one. Good to hear that one works out well for you since it's pretty much the same scope as the one I'm looking at with the exception of a few things.

Oughtta be just as good, looks like they might just be rebranded and actually same thing!

- OS

Well one has rails on top of the rings for those who may want to put a mini reflex sight on top. I considered the notion, but I don't think I'll really need it.

Well one has rails on top of the rings for those who may want to put a mini reflex sight on top. I considered the notion, but I don't think I'll really need it.

The two PEPERs I have came with both normal and railed top half rings, I use the normal ones.

PEPR.jpg

- OS

The two PEPERs I have came with both normal and railed top half rings, I use the normal ones.

Posted Image

- OS

Yeah, I was referring to the mount that comes with this package that crossfire posted versus the PEPR. It does not come with railed tops for the rings. If course, the mount in the deal pretty much comes free with the purchase, since this package costs the same as only the scope from Midway.

You can buy railed top sections for that mount from SWFA, look under mounts by brand. They have and angled one as well. $10 I think.

Yeah I was poking around on there earlier and saw that, so it's nice to have that option if I decide to go with one of them mini reflexes later on, which I probably will since I'm gonna have to liquidate one of my rifles for an upcoming muscle movement in the reloading department.
  • 1 month later...
Thanks for reminding me, I just got back from my trip and put a few mags down after zeroing this thing. To be honest, the illuminated reticle left a lot to be desired. When I first got it I figured it was bright enough on 1x to use as a red dot, but getting on the range in Florida against white targets in the bright outdoors it wasn't nearly bright enough. Not an issue on 4x since you had to aim anyway. I took a mags worth of 200m shots and it was great for that. I think that if the reticle could be twice as bright it would be worth it. I won't be using this for 3-gun like I wanted to.

Thanks for reminding me, I just got back from my trip and put a few mags down after zeroing this thing. To be honest, the illuminated reticle left a lot to be desired. When I first got it I figured it was bright enough on 1x to use as a red dot, but getting on the range in Florida against white targets in the bright outdoors it wasn't nearly bright enough. Not an issue on 4x since you had to aim anyway. I took a mags worth of 200m shots and it was great for that. I think that if the reticle could be twice as bright it would be worth it. I won't be using this for 3-gun like I wanted to.

Unfortunately that seems to be the only negative review that this scope gets. Wish it was brighter. I am rethinking the possibility if purchasing one now.
I agree about the brightness. It has 11 but really only 9 and above are useful. But I've also found that the black non-lit reticle can be used a lot of the time. And really three brightness settings are about all I need. I had an aimpoint pro before and it had only about 3 settings, one of which wasnt worth much as I recall. I could complain but I'll just try to make lemonade.

For magnification I keep it on 2 or 4. Don't even bother with 1. I sold an aimpoint pro and replaced with this scope, and while it leaves a little to be desired I like the magnification and the throw lever over a plain dot. I got it from swfa with the mount for about 280. Edited by Stegall Law Firm

I agree about the brightness. It has 11 but really only 9 and above are useful. But I've also found that the black non-lit reticle can be used a lot of the time. And really three brightness settings are about all I need. I had an aimpoint pro before and it had only about 3 settings, one of which wasnt worth much as I recall. I could complain but I'll just try to make lemonade.

For magnification I keep it on 2 or 4. Don't even bother with 1. I sold an aimpoint pro and replaced with this scope, and while it leaves a little to be desired I like the magnification and the throw lever over a plain dot. I got it from swfa with the mount for about 280.

I don't mean to derail this thread.

I'm in the market as well and was/am considering an Aimpoint PRO. I have an EOTech and it serves it's intended role well. But I'd like some affordable low power magnification that will serve for close range as well.

Money is a consideration.

Could you tell me more about your lemonade? :pleased:

For magnification I keep it on 2 or 4. Don't even bother with 1. I sold an aimpoint pro and replaced with this scope, and while it leaves a little to be desired I like the magnification and the throw lever over a plain dot. I got it from swfa with the mount for about 280.

I got it under the same deal so I don't feel as if I got a lemon or anything. It is pretty decent for the price. I like using a red dot for reflexive firing and figured this on 1x could fill that role. I'm sure on an overcast day it would be just fine for quick acquisition but just doesn't cut the mustard for running and gunning. It is a fine reticle though, and anything being shot at distance using magnification this scope is just as good or better than many similar ones with a higher price tag. Edited by TMF
  • Like 1