6.5 Grendel build (assembly)

I would say we should talk to Dave about a group buy discount on getting two Vipers but I can't swing the cabbage for a few months on that.

I don't mind re-zeroing so I'll take this one off the Savage and move it over.  Need to do some thinking/re-mounting on the Savage anyway since I had to dial in 64 clicks at 100 yards after bore sighting to zero it with the current rings.  I'll never see 1000 yards with the current ones. 

Next time you and Okie shoot on a Sunday, please call me!!  I'll bring something to make it worth the while for everyone!

Okie hasn't been shooting lately. We gotta catch up. Just haven't had time.

Fortunately, those PST's are pretty plentiful these days. Even saw the one I want on Ebay that only had one range trip on it. I'm planning to use Burris Tactical rings and a Weaver (I think) 20 MOA riser. I already have the hardware. Just have to pull it off my 223. Shooting that thing past 600 is a pain in the butt anyway.

The Vortex PST is just right in the pocket for me. I really need 24X. Some eagle eye may be able to get by with a 16. It DOES make an adjustable stock more necessary, at least for me. They get pretty winky at 24X, no matter which brand.

A lot of the long range folks insist on Nightforce. I'm just not gonna pop for that. Once you get past a certain distance, the haze in the air becomes the limiting factor.

Edited by mikegideon

Hey Rightwinger, where did you find the ejector port cover with the don't tread on me motif? I'd like to get a couple of those myself.

Search it on Amazon. There will be several offerings and some will have Gadsden on one side and a US Flag or 300blk, 5.56 or whatever caliber on the other. Some will be much cheaper than others but watch out for the shipping.

You can read it right here. Get the Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 FFP, MOA version. Now, wasn't that easy? :)

Just found it on sale for $749. Seems way cheaper than anywhere else i've seen for the same scope. Are there different versions of this scope out there by chance?

EDIT- Never mind, I just answered my own question. Just realized that they offer FFP and SFP variants.

Edited by Luke E.

Search it on Amazon. There will be several offerings and some will have Gadsden on one side and a US Flag or 300blk, 5.56 or whatever caliber on the other. Some will be much cheaper than others but watch out for the shipping.

Thanks, I'll check 'em out.

Hey Rightwinger, where did you find the ejector port cover with the don't tread on me motif? I'd like to get a couple of those myself.

I got mine on ebay from a seller called lasersedgestudio BUT...right after I got mine they took that particular port down.  Ebay that is took it down, he still has plenty of items listed on ebay but for some reason, Ebay found something wrong with that one.  Luckily mine had already arrived.

Here is what shows in my summary now for that item:

This listing was removed by eBay. If you already paid for the item, we recommend that you wait 10 days from the expected delivery date to see if the item arrives. If you did not pay, you are no longer obligated to pay for this item. If you have a problem with the purchase, you can resolve the problem by filing a claim through our resolution center.

That said, there are plenty out there.  Mine was $18.95 with free shipping.  If you want the same one, here is the website.  Might make the vendor feel a little better if he got support outside of Ebay for his work.

http://www.lasersedgestudio.com/

Mike what powder are you going to work up for the Grendel?

I'm seeing that Varget will work.  It will also work in my .308 and 30.06 loadings but that is not what the enthusiasts are saying gets best results.

I posted up in the "favorite mid range caliber" thread asking DLM if he could get IMR 8028-XBR which seems to be the popular powder over on 65 Grendel Forums.

Mike what powder are you going to work up for the Grendel?

I'm seeing that Varget will work.  It will also work in my .308 and 30.06 loadings but that is not what the enthusiasts are saying gets best results.

I posted up in the "favorite mid range caliber" thread asking DLM if he could get IMR 8028-XBR which seems to be the popular powder over on 65 Grendel Forums.

Alexander Arms likes AA2520. Varget is too slow. It will spit a projectile, but there's a velocity hit. I was focused on 120ish grain projectiles. Wound up buying 123g Lapua Scenars. Here ya go...

http://www.alexanderarms.com/images/pdfs/grendel_reloading.pdf

Thank you.

The Barnes TSX 120's doesn't list an Accurate 2520 loading but I should be able to work something up on that as well as the Nosler Ballistic tips.  As you can see, hunting always has to be included in the thought process with me....dunno why? :pleased:

After seeing the pics David just posted of all our newborn rifles.....well, I'm going to have to sell something to get my barrel ordered sooner.

Let's see.....

Anyone need a 17 year old for permanent odd jobs?

A cat that always wants to be fed?

Nevermind, I'll just go to eating beans and ramen sooner than I thought.

After seeing the pics David just posted of all our newborn rifles.....well, I'm going to have to sell something to get my barrel ordered sooner.

Let's see.....

Anyone need a 17 year old for permanent odd jobs?

A cat that always wants to be fed?

Nevermind, I'll just go to eating beans and ramen sooner than I thought.

Yep. I wasn't gonna get excited about this one, and now I'm biting my nails. Good thing you've been trained by RRA. That barrel ain't gonna come fast.

My die set will be here Wednesday! I didn't spring for the Redding set just yet because i'd rather try to go ahead and get the barrel and other parts ordered first. I sure didn't want to have all the other parts and not be able to find a set of dies so I went ahead and tied a set of Hornadys up. I hope they are the Sammi spec.

My die set will be here Wednesday! I didn't spring for the Redding set just yet because i'd rather try to go ahead and get the barrel and other parts ordered first. I sure didn't want to have all the other parts and not be able to find a set of dies so I went ahead and tied a set of Hornadys up. I hope they are the Sammi spec.

Nothing wrong with Hornady dies. I got the Reddings because I already have all the other gear to do precision stuff. The Redding dies can be a pain to deal with, but give you more control. Too bad I can't do any of those tweaks without a barrel. I still have a couple little doodads to order, like a Grendel case for my Hornady OAL gauge. They're quoting some stupid lead time for that.