6.5 Grendel build (assembly)

Nothing wrong with Hornady dies. I got the Reddings because I already have all the other gear to do precision stuff. The Redding dies can be a pain to deal with, but give you more control. Too bad I can't do any of those tweaks without a barrel. I still have a couple little doodads to order, like a Grendel case for my Hornady OAL gauge. They're quoting some stupid lead time for that.

I really wanted RCBS but evidently they don't offer a set for the Grendel yet. I would eventually like to get the Redding "match" set so that I can have that extra control though.

I will check Outpost for the OAL case next time i'm through, could be tomorrow but will likely be Monday morning before I get back that direction. If they have one i'll grab it and send it your way.

I figure if I get the barrel and the bolt, even if things were to turn South again I will be able to come up with the rest of the parts. I've got a bolt that I guess is worn out on a .223 AR so i'll prolly order another 5.56 BCG and rob the bolt for a replacement since it seems like the barrels that I have looked at come with a bolt.

What have you decided for a gas block?

hope ya read the reviews! I'm sure you did...

Yep. You gotta Loctite the screw. I'm not worried about JP. They're top notch. If there's a real problem, one that's not created by some bubba effect, they'll make it right.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1
Well I tip toed into the shallow end of the 6.5 Grendel pool the other day and ordered a set of dies. They came in today and it felt good so before I could stop myself (peer pressure from Mike didn't hurt none) I had order brass, bullets and the barrel/bolt combo. Midway confirmation email says the brass and bullets should be here Monday but the barrel is ?
With a gas block, hand guard and bolt carrier my upper will be complete and I supposed at that point if I'm chompin at the bit I could mate it to one of my completed lowers and hit the range for break in. Unless I happen upon a smokin deal I'm gonna hold off til last thing to buy glass and see what my gun funds look like. If they look poor then I may buy a mueller for a couple hundred to get me by since I've got a .243 that I can move it to when I get the one I want.
Well that's my daily firearms news in a nutshell. Anyone else moved forward any more in the last day or two?

Well I tip toed into the shallow end of the 6.5 Grendel pool the other day and ordered a set of dies. They came in today and it felt good so before I could stop myself (peer pressure from Mike didn't hurt none) I had order brass, bullets and the barrel/bolt combo. Midway confirmation email says the brass and bullets should be here Monday but the barrel is ?
With a gas block, hand guard and bolt carrier my upper will be complete and I supposed at that point if I'm chompin at the bit I could mate it to one of my completed lowers and hit the range for break in. Unless I happen upon a smokin deal I'm gonna hold off til last thing to buy glass and see what my gun funds look like. If they look poor then I may buy a mueller for a couple hundred to get me by since I've got a .243 that I can move it to when I get the one I want.
Well that's my daily firearms news in a nutshell. Anyone else moved forward any more in the last day or two?

funds have only allowed me to order BCG, 13" troy alpha rail, and Hogue pistol grip so far.. :waiting:

Anyone else moved forward any more in the last day or two?

I sure wish I could start ordering parts for this. It's killin' me! I'm just going to have to wait until after Christmas to move forward with mine. My first purchase will likely be a PRI Gen3 rifle-length handguard in black (unless I change my mind again :) )
  • Like 1

funds have only allowed me to order BCG, 13" troy alpha rail, and Hogue pistol grip so far.. :waiting:

My funds said no as well! but Mike pointed out that Midway wouldn't charge until the barrel was ready to ship so I went ahead and placed the order and i'll get money moved around tomorrow.. I probably just need to keep this purchase under my hat for a little bit until I have the time to get an incredible Christmas present picked out for the Mrs. so that I can change the subject when the questioning starts. I started out thinking that I wouldn't even start buying anything until after the first of the year but I got worried that our cowardly liar in chief and his band of merry idiots would do something stupid and cause another frenzy. I decided that I would try to at least gather the Grendel specific parts, brass and bullets since they are tougher to find as it is. I figure, no mater what I will be able to get a stock, glass handguard, etc, etc... Only problem now is that i've about talked myself into completing the upper so that I can at least shoot it some but after today I will probably have to back off for a while especially with Christmas coming up.

• Like 1

Guys,

No matter how you slice it, the barrel is gonna be a wait. If I'm really lucky, mine will ship around the end of December. Midway won't charge my card until the barrel ships. Not sure how the other vendors do it. Get your barrels on order now. You're already late.

Guys,

No matter how you slice it, the barrel is gonna be a wait. If I'm really lucky, mine will ship around the end of December. Midway won't charge my card until the barrel ships. Not sure how the other vendors do it. Get your barrels on order now. You're already late.

Did you ever call them to see which of your backorders were expected when?

Did you ever call them to see which of your backorders were expected when?

No, and I may not. I'm fixing to put all this stuff in a box, and hide it in a closet. I've done everything I can do without the tube. I'll build up the receivers when they show up, but that's almost a month away. I even primed all my cases and put them in ammo boxes. Got all the precision reloading crap, including a bump gauge.

Time to build my reloading bench. GuitaRx knows all about that project. He's my wood guru.

Guys,

I played that game with the CMP. Back in September, I thought, I'll order an M1 Garand now because its a long wait. I thought, they won't charge my card for $645 until it ships, and it's a 120-180 wait. That way, I'll get through Christmas without explaining the "new" rifle on my doorstep to the wife. I figured I'd get charged in January - March. Nope! They processed it pretty quick, lol. My card got charged last week, and my rifle will be here before Thanksgiving! I'm happy to get it, but it caught me off guard. I cant take any more chances like that because I have a big dog, and his house ain't big enough for the both of us, lol.
  • Like 1

I played that game with the CMP. Back in September, I thought, I'll order an M1 Garand now because its a long wait. I thought, they won't charge my card for $645 until it ships, and it's a 120-180 wait. That way, I'll get through Christmas without explaining the "new" rifle on my doorstep to the wife. I figured I'd get charged in January - March. Nope! They processed it pretty quick, lol. My card got charged last week, and my rifle will be here before Thanksgiving! I'm happy to get it, but it caught me off guard. I cant take any more chances like that because I have a big dog, and his house ain't big enough for the both of us, lol.

I hear you. :) Midway really doesn't charge until they ship. I would pay them tomorrow if it would speed things up. 

I hear you. :) Midway really doesn't charge until they ship. I would pay them tomorrow if it would speed things up.

I wish Midway offered an 18" Shilen. They have an AR-Stoner, but I've heard mixed reviews. I don't have any personal experience with the Stoner, but I know I always get what I pay for. I really have an itch for an 18" 6.5G. What's the verdict on AR-Stoner? For long-range accuracy, that is.

I wish Midway offered an 18" Shilen. They have an AR-Stoner, but I've heard mixed reviews. I don't have any personal experience with the Stoner, but I know I always get what I pay for. I really have an itch for an 18" 6.5G. What's the verdict on AR-Stoner? For long-range accuracy, that is.

Pass on the Stoner. I have one of their 300 Blackout barrels. The damn gas port is canted enough that my low pro gas block bumps into my Daniel Defense rail. It's real hard to beat a Shilen barrel. Besides, 20" isn't a bad idea in that caliber. I would have bought a 24" if I could get it. I just won't put any more Stoner junk on one of my rifles.

Pass on the Stoner. I have one of their 300 Blackout barrels. The damn gas port is canted enough that my low pro gas block bumps into my Daniel Defense rail. It's real hard to beat a Shilen barrel. Besides, 20" isn't a bad idea in that caliber. I would have bought a 24" if I could get it. I just won't put any more Stoner junk on one of my rifles.

Thanks. That confirms my thoughts about the Stoner. I'll hold out for a quality bbl, most likely a Shilen.

Well my dog doesn't like her house and it's just goin to waste so you're welcome to it  :rofl:. But in all seriousness, We've got a spare room you can use if you change your mind and need a place to hide out... Only catch is that you can't mention what I spent today or we'll be flipping a coin for that spare room!

I've got some nice stainless counter overlay if you want something slick that cleans easy. I guess one would want to make sure to ground it to eliminate the the risk of static though. We have a large laundry/utility/reloading room that has turned mostly into reloading but I think laying stainless over the countertops in there would be pushing my luck. As soon as I get the security system set up in the barn/shop I will likely be moving my reloading set up there along with mechanic and machining items. I'll use some of the counter top in there but i've got a bit to spare if you need something like that to lay over the wood.