Packing Heat?

Guest tnelson

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Open carry in WalMart is not the rite of passage for new HCP owners! If you do that, you will have the cops called on you right quick, and shown the exit!

I understand they changed that policy some time ago, and as far as I know they didn't call the cops even before. They just asked you to leave.

As I understand their current policy, they let you carry in their stores in accordance with local law.

Open carry in WalMart is not the rite of passage for new HCP owners! If you do that, you will have the cops called on you right quick, and shown the exit!

I understand they changed that policy some time ago, and as far as I know they didn't call the cops even before. They just asked you to leave.

As I understand their current policy, they let you carry in their stores in accordance with local law.

Guest bkelm18
there ARE a majority of times where concealed carry is the best course, but if you're doing it to keep from being "hassled by cops" then I suggest you just go ahead and give that right away completely.

I disagree with this statement. In TN we have a choice to carry open or concealed. Why does it matter what the reasons are? Why should I give up my right to carry a firearm (as you say) just because I want to carry it concealed so I won't be hassled by some cop/store clerk/general douchebag on a power trip? Maybe I don't want to have to explain myself to anyone? I carry my firearm to protect myself, not to make a statement. :stir:

Nope, the rite of passage is to carry concealed in Walmart, while walking around munching on Cheetos.

:cop:

I thought it was nachos? :stir:

Guest tnelson

Great Information everyone. Any of you guys have a boat? Are the same car gun laws applied to boaters? I've read mixed messages. On TWA's site they say "firearms are not allowed in state parks" But JPP ( Percy Priest Lake ) page shows different areas on the lake that allow hunting? Most of the boat ramps on in "state parks" Usually I keep my shotgun in the boat loaded. Is that "illegal". Illegal being if TWA pulls me over on the water and searches my boat, would I go to jail for that ? :koolaid:

"

Reminder: It is prohibited to posses a loaded firearm, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons unless: 1) In the possession of a Federal, State or Local Law Enforcement Officer 2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under State and Federal Law, or 3) Being used at an authorized shooting range."

Edited by tnelson
Great Information everyone. Any of you guys have a boat? Are the same car gun laws applied to boaters? I've read mixed messages. On TWA's site they say "firearms are not allowed in state parks" But JPP ( Percy Priest Lake ) page shows different areas on the lake that allow hunting? Most of the boat ramps on in "state parks" Usually I keep my shotgun in the boat loaded. Is that "illegal". Illegal being if TWA pulls me over on the water and searches my boat, would I go to jail for that ? :koolaid:

Carry permits have nothing to do with long guns. So unless you are in an area where shooting a shotgun from a boat is permitted and you have all the required hunting permits; I would say you have problems.

I don’t know if you would physically be taken to jail or not but I would guess that you would be cited, have your gun seized and have to appear in court.

Guest tnelson

What if some weirdo serial killer is on the lake and comes out the woods to attack me? I'll have to hit him with my paddle LOL

Great information. I was on JPP yesterday. The West Fort area and heard alot of gun-fire. I guess it is approaching hunting season.

I took the course at PRI and this certainly did not get covered. Really when you've only got 8 hours to learn the mechanics, laws, ethics and logistics of owning, carrying and using a weapon it's not surprising that some things will fall through the cracks.

Speaking from personal experience, there are (at least) several places that never mention that the TN HCP is not a CCP, and, in fact, some instructors that (IMO) imply that it is a CCP but never say it directly

Edited by robbiev

I believe it is more prudent to carry concealed. The main reason for me is to not give the anti-gunners any cause to create an issue. Many of them are looking for a reason find fault. What they don't know can't hurt us but if we start open carrying they will raise a rucus with polititians to get the law changed. Ket's face it, they are more vocal and have a liberal press to help them as needed.

Just my opinion.:rolleyes:

What if some weirdo serial killer is on the lake and comes out the woods to attack me? I'll have to hit him with my paddle LOL

Great information. I was on JPP yesterday. The West Fort area and heard alot of gun-fire. I guess it is approaching hunting season.

You paddle faster.

I dunno! Gotta watch out for those river pirates!

Arrr

funny_pirates.jpg

Guest WTNGunowner

I had a guy who was going to take a class I set up that backed out because a friend of his (with a permit) told him that he was pulled over and had is weapon holstered in the passenger seat. The LEO upon seeing it laying there pulled his weapon and ordered the man out of his vehicle .. the whole time him saying he had a HCP. The LEO wrote him a ticket for speeding, ticket for carrying with the intent to go armed, and had his firearm confiscated. I know not if he ever got his firearm back, but the LEO said since it was holstered it was considered consealed. I told the guy who was contemplating taking the class that this was total bs and in TN it doesn't matter if it is open or concealed. It's sad, but many LEO's don't know the laws regarding HCP's as well as the informed HCP holder.

Guest Todd@CIS
I had a guy who was going to take a class I set up that backed out because a friend of his (with a permit) told him that he was pulled over and had is weapon holstered in the passenger seat. The LEO upon seeing it laying there pulled his weapon and ordered the man out of his vehicle .. the whole time him saying he had a HCP. The LEO wrote him a ticket for speeding, ticket for carrying with the intent to go armed, and had his firearm confiscated. I know not if he ever got his firearm back, but the LEO said since it was holstered it was considered consealed. I told the guy who was contemplating taking the class that this was total bs and in TN it doesn't matter if it is open or concealed. It's sad, but many LEO's don't know the laws regarding HCP's as well as the informed HCP holder.

If this is true (not doubting you, but as Paul Harvey says, many times there's "the rest of the story"), the friend needs to contact a lawyer for more than just his criminal defense.

Guest Mugster
If this is true (not doubting you, but as Paul Harvey says, many times there's "the rest of the story"), the friend needs to contact a lawyer for more than just his criminal defense.

Yeah, that sounds kinda fishy.

Guest Todd@CIS

Yeah, I have heard of instances where dumbass cops did stupid things when interacting with permit holders, but that would take the cake and deserve punishment.

The fact that a person is taken at gun point may not be simply because they are carrying. If I had someone acting suspiciously that I wanted to stop or check out, and I saw a gun; the fact that he is saying he has a carry permit would mean nothing to me. I would make the stop safe for me (that means he gets disarmed) before we have any in depth conversations.

I know there are some people that get upset about their dealings with cops when they are stopped. But you always have recourse if you think what they did is wrong.

I believe it is more prudent to carry concealed. The main reason for me is to not give the anti-gunners any cause to create an issue. Many of them are looking for a reason find fault. What they don't know can't hurt us but if we start open carrying they will raise a rucus with polititians to get the law changed. Ket's face it, they are more vocal and have a liberal press to help them as needed.

Just my opinion.:shake:

I concur 100%. :P:):P

.....The LEO wrote him a ticket for speeding, ticket for carrying with the intent to go armed, and had his firearm confiscated. ..

I call BS on somebody here.

I assure you that you do NOT "get a ticket" if you are charged with intent to go armed. You are arrested and booked. It is not a ticketable traffic offense.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot