What do you think?

I don't think Lee makes anything that flat out doesn't work.

I agree and as far as I know the Lee progressives that are in question aren't useless but they are plagued with numerous finicky flaws that someone with loading experience and some mechanical know how, can find fixes for. I haven't been convinced that there is a complete fix for it's priming woes,,, might can make it tolerable though. I won't be rolling the dice on it with my money I don't think.

I started with a Lee single stage press and still use it with regularity. It's been going strong since the mid 1980's.

While I use my Dillon more often, the Lee allowed me to develop an understanding of the mechanics of handloading. As was mentioned above, there is a lot going on at one time with a progressive press. But that familiarity allows you to pick up on the subtle changes, and through experience, to intervene or alter your process as you go.

It's not complicated or anything like that. But you do have to understand what you are doing and why.

I always planned to get an RCBS big-dog press...but I can't seem to wear out my Lee. :pleased:

Please forgive the clutter and mess in my little corner of the basement...but here's a pic of my humble setup. It serves my needs well.

btw...the Dillon is from either '89 or '90...it won't wear out either. :cool:

reloadingbenchNov2013001_zps6c7294ed.jpg

Buy quality and you only cry once. Lee progressives are needy in the fact you are needing to adjust them so often. Yes, I have had one. Now my bench has a Dillon, a RCBS Rockchucker, and a PW375, the Lee got chucked. You will spend far more on components than you ever thought possible, you will also find you are shooting more than you thought possible.  The initial cost of the reloader may seem like a big expense, but over time you will realize it is a minor one.  I got my Dillon 20 years ago, my best purchase ever! The others are right about a single stage though, there is always a need for one.

Edited by bart305

don't let the word 'progressive' scare you away from such a press.  I use the Hornady Lock and Load, and if you want, you can load one case, on station at a time.  Trust me, if you shoot a lot, you will want a progressive press.  Dozens of videos on You Tube, plus helpful forums like this one will get you going.  It is not that hard, just pay attention to detail.

Guest TresOsos

If you want to stick a toe in and get the temp of the water then get a single stage press.

You are not out much if you don't like it and if you buy a decent one like a RCBS "Rock Chucker"

you won't have trouble getting your money back out of it.

If you like it, reloading and you shoot a lot and need volume then go Dillion and spend your money only once.

It will be the best investment you will make. They stand behind their product even 20 years after the sale.

You will not regret it, even after having mine over 20 years if I need something they ship it free on their dime.

Their tech support is first class as are their presses.

Yes they are expensive but you get what you pay for.

I was given sage advice many years ago, " It only cost twice as much to go first class".

Spend your money wisely and buy quality.

You will spend far more on components than you ever thought possible, you will also find you are shooting more than you thought possible. The initial cost of the reloader may seem like a big expense, but over time you will realize it is a minor one.

What Bart speaks here is complete truth. I don't know how much you shoot but let's take .223 components bought from David for example. These numbers may not be exactly current so don't hold me to it but, 55gr pulled projectiles = $90-$100 per thousand, 8# jug of 846 mil-surp powder = $150+/-, primers = $30-$40 per thousand. David always does a good service for TGO members by offering discounts to us and will make himself available as best he can but even with his good prices you are knocking on $300 before brass is taken into account (I get brass free or cheap and can use it several times so I don't bother to add it to costs but you may be different, also an 8# jug of powder will net you 1,000 rounds with plenty left over) and this is only components for one caliber. You may not choose to purchase components in quantities of 1,000 or greater but I think this shows how quickly the cost of a press begins to pale in comparison to components. You will be able to shoot more ammo and of higher quality once loading your own so take my word, you WILL shoot more once you start rolling your own so Bart's advice to not skimp on you press and dies and such is great advice. I still think starting off with a good single stage or turret is a good idea because it is something you will continue to use anyways.

I was resisting the temptation  to badmouth Lee products but since it's started, I don't care for the quality there either.

I suggested the RCBS rockchucker combo because it has everything except dies and shell holders. For nonproduction dies I prefer Hornady.They have a floating collar inside the bullet seating die. So you won't have a hard time with short bullets like 22 cal dropping sideways inside the die, They also have coated resize dies so you get the same effect as carbide without the price.

Now that I have my 650 I do almost all my loading on that. But in the last year I have drug out the rockchucker to form 8mm mauser  cases from 30/06,swaged primer pockets, trimmed cases with the motorized trimmer I bought from Dillon, and ran a bunch of 40's through the Redding G-RX size die. I don't think a Lee aluminum press would stand up to the kind of pressure I need to do that stuff.

My Lee single stage press is cast iron. I don't really use it anymore except for a rare bullet pull. It's stout enough to do all the heavy stuff. I use a Coax for all my single stage loading. You won't see this very often. 101 reviews, 100 five star and 1 four star.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/265719/

Edited by mikegideon

Just because you may get a progressive doesn't mean you have to set the land speed record loading everything. They work just fine

doing one step at a time, if you so desire. All the internet queers brag about how fast they can chuck out a thousand 5.56. Must make their

balls bulge, eh? They can chuck bunch of them in the trash, too. I learned the hard way about getting in a hurry Model T'ing ammo.

Just because you may get a progressive doesn't mean you have to set the land speed record loading everything. They work just fine

doing one step at a time, if you so desire. All the internet queers brag about how fast they can chuck out a thousand 5.56. Must make their

balls bulge, eh? They can chuck bunch of them in the trash, too. I learned the hard way about getting in a hurry Model T'ing ammo.

Yeah. You do hold the world record for stuck .223 cases in sizing dies :)