Mail order beef?

In the search for something to get my brother for Christmas that he would actually like, I had the thought of getting him some nice thick big porterhouse steaks. I have never mail ordered steaks before so I thought I would get some opinions on where to get them from. Whosoever has had mail order steaks please come forth and provide your opinions/recommendations.

I considered trying Omaha steaks but then I tried some another brand of frozen steaks about a year ago, most of them are still in the bottom of my freeze.  they weren't very good.  I went to the place selling them as they advertised as Omaha, but they certainly where not.  but they looked good and figured what could it hurt. 

I used to work at an Omaha steaks retail store and testify from an internal point of view that they are an absolutely awesome company. The steaks are great, in fact their whole catalog is great. Just an FYI, they use liquid nitrogen to quickly flash freeze their stuff for optimal taste and consistency. When you thaw them out, use cold water instead of hot or warm. It takes a few additional minutes (5-10) but it keeps the juices from flowing prematurely which helps keep them in the meat instead of losing a lot in the bottom of the bag.

They usually have good gift basket options this time of year, their hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. are all also really good. Their rubs are as good as Ive found store bought as well.

I considered trying Omaha steaks but then I tried some another brand of frozen steaks about a year ago, most of them are still in the bottom of my freeze.  they weren't very good.  I went to the place selling them as they advertised as Omaha, but they certainly where not.  but they looked good and figured what could it hurt.

Omaha has a few real retail locations but its best to just order them directly from them IMO. Believe it or not bootleg OS is a big problem for them. I don't know how they get the boxes but beware anyone driving around selling them out of a freezer truck or anyone claiming to be a door to door employee who "has to sell the last if his steaks, even 'at cost' or he'll have to pay for them himself".

BS. The real company would never employee sleazy tactics like that OR the shady kind if people that always seem to be "working" for them.
Guest RebelCowboySnB

Omaha has a few real retail locations but its best to just order them directly from them IMO. Believe it or not bootleg OS is a big problem for them. I don't know how they get the boxes but beware anyone driving around selling them out of a freezer truck or anyone claiming to be a door to door employee who "has to sell the last if his steaks, even 'at cost' or he'll have to pay for them himself".

BS. The real company would never employee sleazy tactics like that OR the shady kind if people that always seem to be "working" for them.

Those people come by here all the time... I point out the cows that they had to drive around to get to my door an ask them if they are that stupid....

I have considered trying Omaha. I grew up on a farm so used to good beef,not store bought. But my parents moved and my few contacts quit raising or selling beef so I have been stuff with store bought.
May try some from Omaha and see how it tastes, have heard good things before. Ideally i would find someone local and buy half a beef off them though.

I have seen side of the road places selling them.  I believe they very well could have been bootleg or something.  They were not very good.  It was one of those things, did it once and learned.  Never buy steak on the side of the road.

I've had Omaha Steaks and they are very good. I let them thaw in the fridge for a couple of days. I think their wieners are just so so. Nathan's are way better.
We've gotten Omaha steaks before. While they were good, I didn't think they were anything special and not worth the premium.

While it's been offered several times, I'd never buy meat from a random guy with a freezer in the bed of his pickup.

Best beef I ever had was local. I'm on a waiting list to get a beef from a coworker who raises cattle.

I used to work at an Omaha steaks retail store and testify from an internal point of view that they are an absolutely awesome company. The steaks are great, in fact their whole catalog is great. Just an FYI, they use liquid nitrogen to quickly flash freeze their stuff for optimal taste and consistency. When you thaw them out, use cold water instead of hot or warm. It takes a few additional minutes (5-10) but it keeps the juices from flowing prematurely which helps keep them in the meat instead of losing a lot in the bottom of the bag.

They usually have good gift basket options this time of year, their hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. are all also really good. Their rubs are as good as Ive found store bought as well.

thawing in warm or hot water can produce dangerous bacteria. Always use cold. It's just better all around; flavor and safety.

Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Just a little info for those that may care. There are 3 basic grades of beef you can purchase. Prime, choice, select. Each grade has a yield grade of 1,2,or3. If it is prime or choice it will say so somewhere as the price is higher and processors want you to know if it prime or choice. A few years ago the USDA changed the grading in response to the consumer wanting leaner beef. If you think meat is not as good as it used to be you are correct. If there are no labels showing the grade it is select at best. Never,never,never buy meat off the back of a pickup. They sell it based on the number of pieces not by the pound. You end up paying way more than you should per pound.
Large processors move their steers to feeder lots for the last 6 months and feed them grain( grain fed beef) the quality of grain gets better as they move through the feeder lots. The idea is to flush the grass out of the system with a diet of grain. Each steer takes the grain a little different than the next(thus the need for grading)

Make sure you trust the person if you buy a half or quarter of beef. It is very easy to pull some high end cuts without anyone knowing. They should be willing to weigh the beef before and after, adding some for packaging. Edited by 45guy
  • Like 1

Just a little info for those that may care. There are 3 basic grades of beef you can purchase. Prime, choice, select. Each grade has a yield grade of 1,2,or3. If it is prime or choice it will say so somewhere as the price is higher and processors want you to know if it prime or choice. A few years ago the USDA changed the grading in response to the consumer wanting leaner beef. If you think meat is not as good as it used to be you are correct. If there are no labels showing the grade it is select at best. Never,never,never buy meat off the back of a pickup. They sell it based on the number of pieces not by the pound. You end up paying way more than you should per pound.
Large processors move their steers to feeder lots for the last 6 months and feed them grain( grain fed beef) the quality of grain gets better as they move through the feeder lots. The idea is to flush the grass out of the system with a diet of grain. Each steer takes the grain a little different than the next(thus the need for grading)

Make sure you trust the person if you buy a half or quarter of beef. It is very easy to pull some high end cuts without anyone knowing. They should be willing to weigh the beef before and after, adding some for packaging.

I think the guys selling out of their trucks are using grade 4: utility grade.

Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee