.22WMR Rifle

Defender

Although I wont be able to get one for a while, and have other firearms desires ahead of it, I am interested in acquiring a .22WMR rifle at some point.  I wish the Keltec RMR was available, as I already have the PMR and its supposed to use the same mags, but alas, its a unicorn.  Anyway, what .22 WMR would you guys recommend?  

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Asanders

I have a CZ .22 WMR, and I really enjoy it.  The rifle shoots straight, and they're known for their accuracy.  I'd also recommend a Marlin .22 WMR if you don't want to spend that much.

I have a Marlin 925M that I bought a couple of years ago.  I had an inexpensive Simmons scope (the scope is actually called a '22 Magnum') put on it when I bought it.  I haven't shot it a whole, whole lot but it really is quite accurate, at least out to 100 yards or so.  Mine likes the 33 grain Remington Accutip-V ammo the best for accuracy but it is still pretty good with other types/brands.

I also have a Rossi pump action .22WMR that I inherited from my late grandfather.  I don't think he ever shot it (still had the "Read Manual..." safety tag hanging from the trigger guard when I got it.  It is still a little stiff and requires pretty 'decisive' operation of the pump in order to feed the next round but I think that is likely because it simply isn't broken in, yet.  Pump rifles in .22LR or .22Mag are sometimes called 'gallery guns', I think.  I am pretty sure it is the same as the rifle that the character 'Little Rock' uses in the movie "Zombieland", fwiw.  I wouldn't put a scope on that one (not even sure if it is set up for it) and haven't tried any longer range shooting with it but from 20 yards out I can pretty consistently pick off empty 20 gauge hulls with it, hitting at least three out of four on a good day.  It is right up there with my Henry .22LR lever rifle when it comes to fun factor.  I am not sure if Rossi is still making them - I am thinking maybe not.

I really like the WMR round.  I don't, personally, have a whole lot of interest in a PMR but think that an RMR would be a great gun to have.  Even if Kel Tec started absolutely churning them out tomorrow, though, I imagine it would be years before I would be able to get one.  Ruger made a .22WMR version of the 10/22 for a few years but I have heard that some of them had a lot of problems with functionality.  Ruger stopped making them and I have heard that they are now pretty expensive.

I think I would eventually like to have a lever gun in .22WMR.  I believe such a thing would be a fun, little rifle.

Edited by JAB

Marlin 25mn. It is a tack driver that can still be had at a reasonable price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think my 925M is the 'updated' version/replacement for the 25M.  Pretty much the same rifle, I believe.  Thing is, I just went to the Marlin site to see if I could check myself on that and the only .22WMR bolt rifle I can find there, now, is in their new "XT" series.  Anyone know if they have stopped the 25M/925M series, altogether?

I have a Marlin 25 MN that I love to shoot and it is a tack driver for sure. It is equip with a 3-12x40 Weaver and is a very good combination. Maybe a little more scope than gun needs but works great for me. I also have a Savage 93 Stainless w/ neoprene stock but have not put scope on it yet. It is very accurate with steel sights but gun deserves to have a good scope on it.................jmho

Don't forget the new Ruger American Rimfire in .22WMR.  That one goes for around 260.00.  Usually for much less you can find a good shooting used Marlin 783/883/983 in.22wmr.  I'm trading one of my .22s for a RAR .22wmr once me and my trade partner can work out the logistics for the trade.  I found a 783 one time whose barrel was so rusty on the outside I thought I had purchased a $60.00 .22LR Marlin 782.  I shot it using .22LRs and thought, "What is wrong with this thing, patterns like a shotgun." Then I took a flashlight and steel wool to the barrel and found it was a .22WMR.  I felt foolish.  Slapped some .22wmr in it and it shot great.  Refinished the rifle and gave it to a buddy who had coyote problems but no rifle.  One time I had a heavy barrel stainless Remington 597, but having a target barrel for a .22wmr seemed sort of senseless to me so traded that one. In retrospect I should have hung on to that one as a curio.  What am I going to do with the RAR .22wmr?  Shoot it a bit (I only have 3 boxes of .22wmr) and then see if I can trade it for a RAR in .22LR.  One day I would like to shoot a .17WSM but after looking at the Savage BMag rifle in that caliber  I'll likely pass on that until ammo is readily available, if ever, and see if Ruger is going to make a rifle in that caliber.  http://www.shootingtimes.com/2013/04/16/first-look-17-winchester-super-magnum/

i had a couple of marlin semi autos and they were both accurate and fun. i just found myself wasting way too much ammo. i recently lucked up on a winchester 94 in 22mag and i love the lever gun. look at the henry's, they are a little less expensive but are still fine guns. i have one in 22 and love shooting it.