Anyone using Comcast?

Lowpower

I just my December bill and we don't have hbo, max, show, or tlc and our new costs over $200!

Their service is lousy. We have a lot of outages and now they want us to pay more for that crap?

Anyone using something different? AT&T? Direct TV? Likes, dislikes?

Thanks

Lp

I had u-verse (after switching from Comcast) until my recent move...I loved the u-verse service and wish it was available in my new area.

I gave Comcast a try again and was (again)disappointed so now I use DirectTV. Even with the limited service and super lousy Internet speed, I still take DirectTV (or anything!!) over Comcast.
I've had minimal problems with Comcast in the past couple years. Just went in to the customer service center to upgrade to hd a few months ago and they offered me a 12 month deal with pretty much all the channels for 110/mo. Then it only goes up to $170 after that. Try going into the customer service center. They have different offers than the web site or phone. Plus, I'm sure if you threaten to switch they will give you their best deal. Of course, that may do little to help if they can't provide decent service.

I do have Comcast service. I've had no service issues, but do agree that the cost factor is getting to be too much. But with the combined internet service, I don't see the benefits of switching to something else for movies and tv. Our physical location doesn't work well for Dis/Direct, and I detest AT&T. Just as soon as I can get my wife on board, we will no longer have a land line.

I've had minimal problems with Comcast in the past couple years. Just went in to the customer service center to upgrade to hd a few months ago and they offered me a 12 month deal with pretty much all the channels for 110/mo. Then it only goes up to $170 after that. Try going into the customer service center. They have different offers than the web site or phone. Plus, I'm sure if you threaten to switch they will give you their best deal. Of course, that may do little to help if they can't provide decent service.

That's similar to what a neighbor has told me. I need to get to them. But getting into the service center at Metro Center is awful.

I've had Comcast for the last 10-12 years. While they aren't the cheapest, I'm happy with the service. We had a short spell where the On Demand service would freeze up, but that hasn't happened in a couple years. I'm satisfied with the service, and I don't think there's another company in most areas that can compete with Comcast has to offer.
I emailed customer service last month when I saw my bill had went up about $40. A rep called me that day and told me that my one year promotion had finished. After a 5 minute conversation I had gotten my promotional rate back and a $40 credit on this month's bill. I checked my account online a few days ago and there was my new promtional rate with the 40 subtracted from it. If you have service with them and you are dissatisfied about something, email their customer service dept. Youll get a call within the day. And its not from a overseas cal center either. I really think they are trying to repair their image.

I've had Comcast now for 15 years.  Service is OK, but my "bundle" is a decade old. 

My per month cost would pay for a very nice late-model car.

TDS has installed their fiber-optic system in my area and claims to offer everything Comcast does for about $100 less.  I'm looking for somebody who has gone with TDS and their results with the fiber-optic.   

I use DirectTV, dropping Comcast except for the Internet, sort of. Apparently its a better deal to keep basic cable with the Internet, so we have it coming to our house with no cable box. Twice now they signed us up for HBO and charged us accordingly. Nobody at Comcast can explain how we get "signed up", but it keeps happening. So far this year they sent us a Verizon / Comcast promotion phone that was opened with a stolen identity. Comcast also accidently shut off our modem and told us a tech would need to personally inspect the serial # to restart it. They said a tech could come out in 10 days to verify. My wife eventually went ballistic, they hung up on her, but our modem restarted an hour later. If we had more options, I would drop Comcast like a hot rock.

I just my December bill and we don't have hbo, max, show, or tlc and our new costs over $200!

Their service is lousy. We have a lot of outages and now they want us to pay more for that crap?

Anyone using something different? AT&T? Direct TV? Likes, dislikes?

Thanks

Lp

Get the bundle with internet/TV/VoIP phone. Will knock it down to about $150 and you get all the movie channels except TMC.

After a year, goes up to about $175 but you'll still be getting more than you are now.

Quality of service can always be a prob though. First 10 years I had it at current location was rock solid, has been a moving target for the last 5, though.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest TankerHC

As a former Comcast Broadband Supervisor, Technical Operations Manager, and Area Engineer, I can say this with first hand knowledge, those high(er) prices? Blame your Politicians, Federal and Local.

Guest Keal G Seo

Yeah, I had a similar problem a few years ago. Basically what happens is when your promo period is up and you call to renegotiate a new price you don't realize what you are getting because they give the package name, not what is in the package. Then you are happy with the price, unaware that you have all these movie channels for 6-12 months and then BAM!!! 200 dollar cable bill.

I switched out to Dish Network and the "Hauppa" for TV. One package down from the top (top package only had 1 channel I like) and get free HD for life and including the DVR and Joeys for other rooms for only 90 a month. I kept Comcast for the internet because it is so much faster than my U-Verse alternative and I am a gamer not just a browser. That runs me 40 a month. Then for phone service I have MagicJack plus. Dirt cheap at 30 bucks a year, comes to like 2 bucks a month. All and all, we pay about 130 for cable, internet and phone.