Coyote Hunting

With deer season coming to an end, checking everyone's pulse on some coyote hunting. I'm in the Lebanon area and would be glad to introduce or work with some folks just getting into coyote hunting.

I have several places to hunt, and if you want to thin the population at your farm or lease that's ok too. I don't mind calling, and honestly when calling it's easier to have another shooter as those suckers detect movement like no other.

I'm working on some new calls for a February hunt and the only way to tell how they work is getting out into the woods!

Anyway, if anyone in Mid Tn is interested lets hear it

Buddy, if I lived closer I would surely take you up on that. In the past, we always had good luck with two hunters. One with rifle (for long shots) and one with shotgun. There is nothing more challenging than calling in Yotes!

Dave

• Like 1

Buddy, if I lived closer I would surely take you up on that. In the past, we always had good luck with two hunters. One with rifle (for long shots) and one with shotgun. There is nothing more challenging than calling in Yotes!

Dave

If you didn't know LBL has a good hunt every February. If interested I'm going to be up there the first week of Feb calling them in!

Never been but sounds interesting. What kind of equipment do you guys use on them?

Any shotgun and T shot or rifle will work. I carry either an AR or Rem 870. If woods or small clearing it's shotgun all the way. Get a lot of shots within 25 yards.

Edit: removed "buckshot" and replaced with T Shot. Had used the word buckshot for reference, but mike243 made the good point that it isn't legal in TN, so not a good reference on my part. Edited by Wiljo05

I've never been but would like to learn about it. I almost never see a coyote down this way.
Lebanon is a ways from Columbia but depending on when and times I may be up to tagging along.

I know a few folks down that way that have them on their farms. I honestly don't think there are many areas in TN that don't have them. They are very intelligent little suckers and can survive dang near anywhere.

I'd be interested in a yote hunt. However, I'm working weekends all of January.

If your relatively close to Lebanon an evening hunt is possible. Most hunts don't last more than 15 min in the same 1 mile area. At most I like to call for 30 min before moving on to the next set.

I live in bethpage and have been wanting to get into it for a while. We are loaded with coyotes here. I would
very much like to learn about it before I spend a lot of money on calls and such.

Berth page is a short 30 min ride. I'll be glad to show what calls I have and how I use them. Good thing is calls aren't stupidly priced like some duck calls. Most that I use are less than $30. They key is sounding like a dying anything, and being able to grab the yotes attention. If they are near, they almost always come to investigate.

I'll shoot you a pm with contact info

Buckshot isn't legal for hunting in Tn, I would ck on some heavy shot or T shot being legal & how it patterns in your gun before you head out. we have a bigger problem with yotes than most of us know im afraid

You are correct. A lot of folks don't know what T shot is, so the reference to buck shot was for similarity. Good call for clarification!

For those that haven't seen T Shot, it's 2 sizes smaller than No. 4 buck, and bigger than BBB Shot. It works great, and is usually cheaper than heavy shot or the coyote specific shells Edited by Wiljo05
[quote name="Wiljo05" post="1088432" timestamp="1388753822"]You are correct. A lot of folks don't know what T shot is, so the reference to buck shot was for similarity. Good call for clarification! For those that haven't seen T Shot, it's 2 sizes smaller than No. 4 buck, and bigger than BBB Shot. It works great, and is usually cheaper than heavy shot or the coyote specific shells[/quote] I'll look into that. I love the heavi-shot dead coyote, but man is it high dollar. The last 4 or 5 coyotes I've killed have been between my backdoor and the barn with a rifle. We have a serious issue with them down here. Tapatalk ate my spelling.

I'll be lookin into the Hevi Shot DC.  Love Hevi for turkey.  I've got a couple cases of old, first issue steel BB and T 3" mag 12 ga from when I used to duck hunt years ago.  From the first year lead was illegal.  Wonder if that is of any use on 'yotes.  I know steel sucks, but it is just sittin around.