New Buffer Tube for Sig "Brace"

I'm sure most of y'all remember the sig "pistol brace"

Well KAK has made a sweet buffer tube that extends longer and has a shelf for the sb15 to push against

This combo from what I see should give you a very comfortable setup for shouldering

From what I have gathered with the ATF letter is it is not illegal to shoulder this brace as long as the straps and everything remain intact

Also it still uses the standard carbine buffer and spring

If you don't wanna go through doing a registered SBR... Seems like a decent option

2zrmjqf.jpg

20gl2mb.jpg

n3t2c3.jpg

2aklmds.jpg

Edited by mcordell

This sure makes building an AR pistol that much more interesting! I'll soon have a striped lower from a botched group buy @ MGO in hand that I have no idea what to do with as I've already got both an AR Carbine and AR Rifle as well as an AK pistol collecting safe dust... But a shoulder-able yet legal AR pistol would be very cool to build and own. We can't yet have an SBR in MI but I'm hoping to move from here soon anyway.  

I've poo pooed the SB15 since it came out. But feller had one at the range the other day, and must admit it is much more firm and stable against shoulder than I thought.

I think an A2 rifle tube would max out LOP, and thinking about doing it myself.

IMG_20131125_191907_919_zpsf6c5b8d7.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I know it has a letter, but what happens when you are caught shooting from the shoulder with this and a short barrel?

Same thing as shooting your Glock from a shoulder. Or a long gun from the hip. Or, as in the famous vid, your 1911 with your feet.

There are absolutely no laws regarding how you fire a gun, only about how it is configured.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
How would one go about getting an approval letter of their own for a similar homemade device? It's peaking my interest but I just can't see spending that kind of money on what I bet I could cobble up for <$50 at the home depot, medical supply store and Brownells. Especially when Sigs letter isn't even Sigs lettter...

Would I have to build the unit and then send it in or just give them an idea of what I'm building?

How would one go about getting an approval letter of their own for a similar homemade device? It's peaking my interest but I just can't see spending that kind of money on what I bet I could cobble up for <$50 at the home depot, medical supply store and Brownells. Especially when Sigs letter isn't even Sigs lettter...

Would I have to build the unit and then send it in or just give them an idea of what I'm building?

Build it and send it to BATF with explanation of item for their consideration

I have one coming should be here this week. Seen a you tub vid where they used a a2 buffer and tapped the hole for rear detent and spring and installed a plug. Added abour 3" per the vid over a pistol buffer.

See my post 5 above. Or you can use the KNS take down pin and forget the spring/detente altogether:

LR-KNS-315PP-B.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

You all realize that the tax stamp isnt much different in price than this floppy "arm bracr", right? For me - i'd get the stamp and have a decent stock

1. 70-80 clams more plus a year wait

2. with the Sig brace, it remains a handgun. With SBR stamp, it's a long gun. Significant legal advantages to an AR pistol in this and other states.

3. Tinfoil or not, tax stamp puts one directly on a federal gun registration list.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yes... brace... :whistle:

There are beau coup pix and vids of folks shoulder firing these things. Indeed, there aren't many actually showing them used the actual stated purpose.

And of course the BATF is well aware of how they are being used. I really do wonder if they'll let the ruling stand long term. I was under the impression they were too soft/floppy to make an effective stock, but I was wrong once I got hands on with one. If you can live with the short LOP, they're pretty much just like a stock.

I'd also not be totally surprised if the KAK tube doesn't at least come under scrutiny, as its extended length has nothing to do with the function of the firearm, but only to extend the LOP for use of the SB15 against the shoulder.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I mean, don't get me wrong, I want one and think the concept of anything be banned is redundant to the second amen. in my mind but this isn't a second amend. thread. I think I might get one of these for my "pistol" here soon. If they reverse the ruling, so be it. I'll have a collector item at that point.

Edited by whitewolf001

Why not just use a single point sling w elastic on the ends, and a magpul angled grip and skip the brace...60 bucks Vs 180 and u can still shoulder it ....

AR pistol accuracy stretched out on a sling is very poor compared to just a third point of contact with buffer tube laid alongside cheek. I've tried both ways and laid against the cheek is beau coup better, night and day accuracy wise.

And of course, if you don't get a crick in your neck, tube pressed into shoulder is even more stable for accuracy. The Sig brace simply adds quite a bit more stability and comfort against shoulder if you want to go that method. And btw, you can get them for $110-120 in hand.

And even better,  using a A2 rifle buffer or just the KAK one, you can get enough LOP so that it's quite a bit more comfy, longer than shortest setting on adjustable carbine stock.

- OS

You all realize that the tax stamp isnt much different in price than this floppy "arm bracr", right? For me - i'd get the stamp and have a decent stock

Additional money

8-12 month wait

Hassle to take it out of state

Paperwork trail for another unconstitutional "registration"

Some states don't allow SBRs

There are plenty reasons why someone would go for this over filing for a SBR, and floppy is not a word to describe the brace at all.

Edited by Junkstack

Additional money

8-12 month wait

Hassle to take it out of state

Paperwork trail for another unconstitutional "registration"

Some states don't allow SBRs

Main thing here and some other states is that there are significant legal carry/possession advantages to an AR pistol over an AR rifle.

- OS

edit: oops, I already said that in this thread. Oh well, will leave for emphasis :)

Edited by Oh Shoot