squirrrl hunting with 22?

Guest jrbaker90

Guest jrbaker90
I been squirrel hunting with shotgun my whole life I've used 12ga with full choke 20gaI know lot of people uses 22 and I can't see how somebody. could hit one but I'm used hunting with dog and I guess if you'll was still and quiet and get them moving you could get one. Just curious how people hunt them with a 22 thanks

This time of year just slip quietly through the woods and I would leave Fido at home. Stop, look and listen, then make your move. Expect to make longer shots than what you are used to making earlier in the year. Or.....you could climb a tree and pretend you are deer hunting, and I GUARANTEE you will see more of them pesky things than you could imagine!

Good Luck

Dave

Edited for dumm spel'n mistek/brain fart

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 4

I don't use a 22lr as much as I do a shotgun. If for some reason you miss with a 22lr and the squirrel is sitting on a branch or side of the tree the bullet will keep going.

So, I don't shoot any squirrels in trees with a .22lr unless a TREE is the actual back stop.

Number #6 shots carries less energy down range than .22lr.   A shotgun with #6 is safer and is just plain easier for me.

• Like 1

I've actually never used a shotgun on squirrel, I just don't see the challenge in it honestly.

Where's the challenge in using a .22? If you want challenge get a slingshot! 

Usually if I am squirrel hunting it's because I just want to be in the woods...and I like squirrel and dumplins. I like to use a .22 because I don't like to bite into shot. I grew up hunting with a shotgun, but now I only carry a shotgun if I am hunting with a kid that is using a .22. That way I can bust them if they miss and the squirrel runs. 

If you want a real challenge, use a Longbow :)

But yes, with a .22 you just need to be fairly still.

This time of year you can go for hours without seeing any though.

Where I hunt they get really active about 45 minutes before sunset.

But the last days of deer season I was only seeing maybe 10 or so and they were mostly outside of (MY) Bow range.

But with a .22 they would have been easy targets.

Edited by EastHipster
  • Like 1

For some reason my dad made me use a 22, but he got to use a shotgun. And he would make me walk around trees to scare the squirrels towards him. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Your Dad was a wise man! Us Dad's don't need to do all that walking around trees.....just saying.

Dave

Guest jrbaker90
I love to try squirrel hunting with a muzzleloader that would be a blast. I don't care much for 22 I ain't shot a 22 in almost a year because I can't find ammo. I will have to try squirrel hunting with a 22 sometime. Before Christmas we was at john tully we killed 7 and they used 20ga and I had a 12ga a5 I was using #6 shot with a full choke and they gave me all 7 and I cleaned them and none for them was torn up that bad thanks

Gosh I have never hunted squirrel with anything except a 22 rifle. Grew up using one and until I quit hunting back years ago I was still using one. Use to make both my boys mad but it was funny for first couple trips and then they didn't think it was funny any more and they refused to go with me if they we going squirrel hunting. One of the used a 12 gauge and the other a 20 gauge. We would get in the woods and spread out. I would just sit down by a big tree where I could see both of them. When I would see one get up and begin to stalk a squirrel I would locate the critter and just before he would shoot it I would shoot it and it would fall near him. He would just turn and if looks could kill I would have been dead about 30 times we hunted together. They refused to hunt squirrels with me once the leaves got off the trees but it was fun. My eye sight effected me as I got older plus I was not as steady as when I was younger so rather than have to go the shotgun route I just quit hunting them...................... :up:  :up: 

[quote name="ShaunM" post="1091882" timestamp="1389232613"]I have used pellet rifles, 22's and shotguns. As long as I can kill them and eat them how I get them really doesnt matter lol.[/quote] I'm with you on that! We had a massive oak tree in our front yard and a pecan tree in the back growing up so I put the smack down on tons of the furry tailed rats. I used my grand dad's .22 or my bolt action .410. My pellet rifle would not reach up quite high enough.

I really would like to try a pellet rifle. I wonder how consistent they are as far as accuracy goes?

Dave

They are very accurate if you get a GOOD one. Just as accurate as a 22lr.

Most ALL airguns are picky about pellets. You absolutely will need to try different pellets until you find the 

one that works best. And yes, there is a LARGE difference in groups size and location between pellets.

If you opt for an airgun that is spring powered you will need to shoot it different than "regular" guns.

Do NOT rest it on a hard surface and keep your hands of the action/barrel at all times. They are hold sensitive.

If you go with an air charged gun "pump gun" they are not as picky about hold sensitivity but do still require the right pellets.

As for their ability to put squirrel down. They will work. But you need to remember that the small pellet will not buck the wind like a heavier .22lr

and any small branch or twig WILL deflect the pellet. Depending on the power of the rifle, most are around 12-15fpe, you will likely find that a shot

to the head will be needed past 40 yards. Other wise, you'll be waiting for it fall out of the tree until it dies. And sometimes they don't don't fall out at all.

I've had a few find a nice fork in the tree and that's where they stayed. 

Pellet Guns are great fun. I enjoy mine.

Edited by TnShooter83
  • Like 1

I got my son a Gamo Recon Whisper Pellet Rifle for Christmas.

Haven't shot it at longer distances yet but using the (crappy) Scope, I shot wooden matches (two in a row) and a Pumpkin seed from 30 feet :)

I was standing and using a Walking Stick to steady the Rifle.

The Sights are good on it but I would prefer a more narrow front sight.

The rifle is capable of much more accuracy than that sight will allow.

It is definitely accurate down to 'minute of squirrel head' inside 15 yards.

And the "Whisper" models are very quiet.

• Like 1
Guest Bonedaddy

When there's still a lot of leaves in the trees, it's my shotgun but once they have all fallen, I like to use the .22. Helps keep your shootin' decent and you can tag one at longer distance if ya can get still enough. Rarely do I shoot past 50 yds on one, though. Sometimes, I'll take the AR7 just to stay up on usin' a peep/ghost sight 'cause I've never been a big fan of'm and won't be so sporty if I don't shoot it regularly. My ol' 1943 made Ranger 101-A is my go to .22 for tree rats.

I had one of the Daisy pump pellet rifles as a kid.  Granted, all that time shooting was with 12-16 yr old eyes, but within it's lethal range (20-30 yds?), it was a tack driver.  Sub 1" groups with the stock iron sights were cake.  I'd routinely blow the center out of a small bore rifle target with BB's.  Many a matchbox car or green army man met it's demise.  And if the shotgun effect was desired, drop a dozen or so BB's down the bore, and viola!  Instant shotgun. 

The modern GAMO air rifles should be even better.  I've been thinking about getting one for quite a while to use as pest control in my suburban back yard. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1