Lamar Alexander commercials

Guest Lowbuster

The past doesn't dictate the future.

This is correct, but Obama getting elected for a second time shows something about people and change. The best way to tell the future is to look at actions of the past. Without change of actions of the past, the future will be near same in the future. I do feel that this forum.can make a difference because it has restored my faith in humanity in some ways by giving me some new friends in like minded people. This can sway votes and make change due to bringing up posts like this.

He did sing at the Ryman and went hunting once with his sons. That'll get my vote!

I thought she said he played the piano at the Ryman. Either way, why the hell would that be in a commercial for his adequacy as an elected official? They could have said that he took consistently solid dumps for two years straight and it would be just as relevant. I was laughing out loud at that nonsense. What's worse is there are people that eat this up. This looks like something that would be in a futuristic dystopian film.
  • Like 1

He is a good candidate because he wore a lot of plaid flannel shirts, once. Other than that, he was president of UT. Didn't

do much more than give money out, from what I hear. Add that to his record in the senate and you get a bad Republican

candidate. Joe Carr can beat him.

History is a good predictor, but sometimes people learn. It can happen.

I was watching an interesting show about "Hitler's Children" last night. One of them had a strong message to people when he

spoke at schools, "I'm scared of you. There may come another time when the economy is weak and you allow someone like Hitler

back to power and this happens again." More of a paraphrase what he said, but it hits home in every race we have a chance to

do right. The presidential election went the wrong way, and some say he is like Hitler(ideology), but our chance is to cleanse

and fill the senate with more Republicans or conservatives to thwart the other mistake. That means Tennessee needs to do its part

and beat Lamar. Same with Kentucky.

It may be an uphill battle but it's one worth a hard effort.

....Other than that, he was president of UT. Didn't

do much more than give money out, from what I hear...

The opposite really.  He was directly responsible for unprecedented funding cuts from the legislature. UT has never recovered the academic standing it had before his sojourn here.

- OS

that video is awesome!  especially the part where they randomly throw in someone saying "he's played piano at the ryman"  :rofl:

guess that makes me qualified to be a nationally syndicated talk show host because I post things on internet forums.

I am involved in the Beat Lamar campaign.  We are committed to removing Lamar's progressive, statist butt.

http://www.beatlamar.com/

Attend a your local meeting this Saturday and get fliers, t-shirts and volunteer to spread the word.

Facebook page is here with lots of updates- https://www.facebook.com/BeatLamar

where do you get the yard signs at?  one of my neighbor's has one, but I don't know 'em to ask.

The opposite really.  He was directly responsible for unprecedented funding cuts from the legislature. UT has never recovered the academic standing it had before his sojourn here.

- OS

Well, that is something for his good side. Didn't know that.

Mac, you may be right about Lamar continuing on as senator, but you should go to some of the Beat Lamar meetings. There

have been a few in Knoxville and east TN. They draw quite a crowd. They are getting more people involved, getting geared

up for the campaign and money is flowing. The Tea Party can pull it off, but we'd appreciate any help you can give.

Just wearing the Beat Lamar tee shirt get's plenty of comments everywhere I go. And, yes, I whoop it up with anyone who

comments and ask them for support.

Yeah, TGO will swing the vote and all. ;)

- OS

I don't count on TGO to swing anything. I just do my part elsewhere. It would be nice if people around here would get involved,

but I've tried. They either want to bloviate and spin bromides and sit back, or some do get involved. Thanks to the ones who

do.

The fact that the Lamar machine is spending this kind of money this early gives me much hope.  :up:

He knows he is at risk. We need to keep on with the pressure. Screw the hope. Help us out!

As much as people dislike him, you would think every one of the people who dislike him, around here, would be working for Carr.

And those who have their doubts must have never understood what a mob of folks can do. There are too many examples where

the underdog has won, lately, because of it. It's how Cruz won.

Beat Lamar!

The last mid-term Republican Primary in TN only saw a total of about 720,000 votes cast for Governor.  Haslam won that primary by only 130,000 votes in a 3-way race.  Haslam is pretty much a shoo-in for Governor this year, so there won't be a lot of attention because of the Governor's race.  Voter turn-out will likely be lower than 2010.

There will only be two main candidates on the ballot for US Senate in the Republican primary this year; Alexander and Carr.  Alexander is spending money like water because he knows that he is not popular with interested voters.

Alexander is also worried about Democrats voting for Carr in the Republican Primary to defeat him.  He SHOULD be worried about that.  I encourage Democrats to do this as they have NO chance of winning against a Republican in November.

So, it is entirely possible to defeat Alexander.  He knows it, or he wouldn't be spending so much money this early. 

Even if Alexander wins, a hard-fought campaign will benefit us.  When politicians know that a lot of voters are unhappy with them, they tend to 'change their spots'.  Alexander has been voting much more conservatively since he found out that has a campaign on his hands.  For that matter, Corker has been acting more conservative as well.

• Like 2
Guest Lester Weevils
Given that alexander is more liberal that carr, wouldn't democrats hopeless of electing a dem senator vote for alexander? Or is that expecting too much rationality from the voters?

Some Dems might think like that, but their votes would get a betrayal by Alexander, himself. Even though Carr is more of a conservative, the Dems probably think they have a better chance against new blood. I'll take any vote for Carr I could get. Just think of what kind of slap in the face Alexander would get. He's a Colin Powell, anyway. Hobnobbing at DC parties is all he's there for. He quit Tennessee, a long time ago.

Just remember Ted Cruz. He beat Kay Bailey Hutchinson in a primary in Texas to get his senate seat. He was behind in the polls and had fierce competition. I'm rather tired of people who think it isn't a strong possibility of winning. It's being done each election cycle, nowadays, and it is because those voters got tired of the establishment. Now why in the Hell is Tennessee different? If we are, it says a lot bad about the people in this state.

Lester, you're right, though, that some liberals would vote like that. They always have, unless there is a strong liberal to vote for. But

there are a lot of so-called Democrats in Tennessee who realize their party has abandoned them.

Edited by 6.8 AR

The opposite really. He was directly responsible for unprecedented funding cuts from the legislature. UT has never recovered the academic standing it had before his sojourn here.

Well, that is something for his good side. Didn't know that.

Anyone who cares about UT wouldn't think so -- and I don't mean frigging football. Appropriations were slashed because all he did his first year as Prez was run around the country stumping for GOP stuff, pissed off the Dem legislature in Nashville, so they punished our flagship university. Of course Lamar made sure that none of his favored bureaucrats in the system felt it.

Hell, he didn't even live in Knoxville the first year, and the standing joke in the PR dept here was that they had to throw Honey off the moving truck in chains.

At any rate, he only used UT as springboard to get the hell up to DC, which he did ironically as Sec of Education, and left UT in tatters due to inattention and malfeasance.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1101528" timestamp="1390768338"]Anyone who cares about UT wouldn't think so -- and I don't mean frigging football. Appropriations were slashed because all he did his first year as Prez was run around the country stumping for GOP stuff, pissed off the Dem legislature in Nashville, so they punished our flagship university. Of course Lamar made sure that none of his favored bureaucrats in the system felt it. Hell, he didn't even live in Knoxville the first year, and the standing joke in the PR dept here was that they had to throw Honey off the moving truck in chains. At any rate, he only used UT as springboard to get the hell up to DC, which he did ironically as Sec of Education, and left UT in tatters due to inattention and malfeasance. - OS[/quote] So, what 6.8 said. I don't care what the reason is, anytime the .gov cuts funding for anything at all it is a win.

So, what 6.8 said. I don't care what the reason is, anytime the .gov cuts funding for anything at all it is a win.

Didn't "cut" anything overall.  Just moved existing budget money around during a lean year to exclude UT, which was unprecedented. Then that became the standard % even after Lamar was gone, even when GOP got back in power in Nashville. That's Lamar's true legacy to TN education.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1101554" timestamp="1390773086"]Didn't "cut" anything overall. Just moved existing budget money around during a lean year to exclude UT, which was unprecedented. Then that became the standard % even after Lamar was gone, even when GOP got back in power in Nashville. That's Lamar's true legacy to TN education. - OS[/quote] Cry me a river. I do not support any public dollars for funding education so whether they spend the money they steal on education or welfare or whatever else they spend it on doesn't really matter to me. It is still filthy lucre from legalized plunder. I guess I am saying I couldn't care less if UT closed up shop tomorrow as it's only real function is to suck up tax dollars. Don't mistake this as any sort of statement of support for Alexander. He is a criminal and enemy of the people who would best serve the state of TN by dancing a hangman's jig. Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1

Anyone who cares about UT wouldn't think so -- and I don't mean frigging football. Appropriations were slashed because all he did his first year as Prez was run around the country stumping for GOP stuff, pissed off the Dem legislature in Nashville, so they punished our flagship university. Of course Lamar made sure that none of his favored bureaucrats in the system felt it.

Hell, he didn't even live in Knoxville the first year, and the standing joke in the PR dept here was that they had to throw Honey off the moving truck in chains.

At any rate, he only used UT as springboard to get the hell up to DC, which he did ironically as Sec of Education, and left UT in tatters due to inattention and malfeasance.

- OS

I never knew any details about any fund cutting, but I would have suspected him to increase funding to UT, not that I would have been for it,

but since he is from right next door and would use it as a line in a future campaign.

Don't get me wrong, Mac. I do care for UT. My son got his BS and MS from there. Not sure about the funding at most schools, but I would

be willing to bet the funding is going in the wrong places, anyway, so I won't cry too much. If they would use money to get engineers and

mathematicians and degrees like that, instead of a lot of the Barbara Streisand degrees coming out of colleges, I would probably have a

different opinion about that. We have too many students getting bogus degrees and using up money and time for nothing, and would be

better off going to a trade school. But that's a problem with all of them, not just UTK.

Of course money is probably flowing to those bogus degree programs.

Cry me a river. I do not support any public dollars for funding education so whether they spend the money they steal on education ..

Wow. No state universities, crush land grant college concept, no federal grants for anything, no local tax money for schools. Pretty rad.

Reckon everybody can just home school all the professions we need, from 1st grade though graduate school level? Or keep up even the status quo by parents paying out of pocket from age 6 on? You think the dumbing down of America is epidemic now, just wow.

- OS