My new .308 <insert Curly Shuffle!>

rugerla1

You really need to reload for your new rifle, find a load that works best.

I am sure you know you will sight in the scope with one setof ammo,

change brands or even lot numbers and scope will be off a bit.

Reload and have the right load for a long time, even if you change

bullet or boolits, you can keep a log on what goes where and how to adjust

your scope for that round.

You can do the same with store bought ammo, but there are no

bragging rights for store bought.

You can do the same with store bought ammo, but there are no

I have never reloaded my own ammo but want to start and then I can do as you stated. And you are correct, I know that POI will change with lot number change or ammo change. I generally stick with the same kind mostly, Core Lokt being what I've mostly shot out of lever action and bolt actions. Of course it will be even more important now that I'm wanting to try longer ranges. Until I get set up to reload, I'll spend my time on my technique, and just shoot and learn. Thanks for the info Red.

I bought this same rifle a couple of months ago, although I reload, it does tend to favor the 165/168gr projectiles. I saw somewhere else your were thinking about getting a stock for it. I put a Boyd's laminated thumbhole stock on mine. I didn't see any accuracy improvements, but I do like the fact that the Boyd's isn't "sticky" like the Hogue overmoulded stock was. While the Boyd's are not AI's or McMillians the Boyds are cheap, around $100

• Like 1

I bought this same rifle a couple of months ago, although I reload, it does tend to favor the 165/168gr projectiles. I saw somewhere else your were thinking about getting a stock for it. I put a Boyd's laminated thumbhole stock on mine. I didn't see any accuracy improvements, but I do like the fact that the Boyd's isn't "sticky" like the Hogue overmoulded stock was. While the Boyd's are not AI's or McMillians the Boyds are cheap, around $100

I have some 150 grain that I will probably use for a short barrel break in. But plan to stick with 165/168 as you mentioned once I sight it inwith wwhichever the rifle likes best. I'm not jumping the gun on stock replacement just yet, gonna shoot it for a while. But no matter which brand I chose, just for personal preference, I want to go with one that is somewhat similar to the original shape of the rifle stock. As in not so target rifle like, I like the basic design. I know why the target stocks look like they do, for function mostly, but mine will spend more time n the woods than on the bench.

I have some 150 grain that I will probably use for a short barrel break in. But plan to stick with 165/168 as you mentioned once I sight it inwith wwhichever the rifle likes best. I'm not jumping the gun on stock replacement just yet, gonna shoot it for a while. But no matter which brand I chose, just for personal preference, I want to go with one that is somewhat similar to the original shape of the rifle stock. As in not so target rifle like, I like the basic design. I know why the target stocks look like they do, for function mostly, but mine will spend more time n the woods than on the bench.

Actually I started mine out with some 150gr Hornady AMAX's that I loaded up and they weren't bad at all, but the 165/168gr (165 Nosler Ballistic tip, and 168 Hornady BTHP) just seemed a little more consistent. Loaded up some 125gr sierra sp just for the heck of it and the groups opened up a lot, not sure why as I didn't load up a lot of them because that isn't what I will be shooting. Anyway enjoy it!

• Like 1

You can do the same get "maybe" close with store bought ammo, but there are no

What he said above with my changed comment.

I have never reloaded my own ammo but want to start and then I can do as you stated. And you are correct, I know that POI will change with lot number change or ammo change. I generally stick with the same kind mostly, Core Lokt being what I've mostly shot out of lever action and bolt actions. Of course it will be even more important now that I'm wanting to try longer ranges. Until I get set up to reload, I'll spend my time on my technique, and just shoot and learn. Thanks for the info Red.

If you are wanting to try longer, for a .308, short of hand loading your own, hands down one of the most accurate box ammo is Black Hills in either 168 or 175. Federal GMM is close. 

Black Hills 168 will get you out to 600-700 yards with really good accuracy. The 175 if you want to take it farther. 

Before I started hand loading I tried a bunch of various brands. Black Hills always was the most accurate. Southwest Ammo was very close 2nd.

Edited by Tempest455
  • Like 1

Well a good friend of mine went with me to On Target Saturday morning to help me with my barrel break in. It was really fun. Obviously during the break in we weren't really trying to get the tightest groups we can, that will be after the barrel is broke in. But I am pretty happy with the results. The farthest we could shoot was 25 yards. I was also shooting standing/stooped over just a little bit. I was using the bipod for support on the front of the rifle and my shoulder for support on the back since the the shelf you shoot off isn't long enough for the whole rifle to sit on. Kind of an awkward position, which is why I'm happy so far. I have a couple more rounds of break in I want to finish this weekend and then dial it in as tight as I can get it with the Hogue stock. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the HS Precision Police stock. But until then, I'm going to continue shooting it like there's no tomorrow. Here's a few pictures of the targets. What a blast we had and I learned some things from him as well.

IMAG0448_zps93ce9b3a.jpg

IMAG0449_zpsc61b0961.jpg

IMAG0450_zpsdaedba43.jpg

IMAG0451_zps0fec4ac8.jpg

There are a few flyers which I will take the blame for even if it is due to the barrel being new. A couple, I felt myself move and knew they weren't good. Other than that, I had some really good groups in my opinion. I'm going to really practice on my breathing and my cheek position. I'm no marksman, but I intend to put in the time to become one.

Something I noticed during the break in procedure was that sometimes when feeding from the magazine the bolt was really stiff to move forward. Obviously when dropping a round into the open action, it was smooth as butter. I did some research yesterday and found that others had the same issue, and most worked out with use. I read on one forum that the soft point ammo was grabbing but fmj's did not. So I tried running some of them through last night and it seemed to load them fine. I'm going to use both this weekend and see if it gets smoother with the soft points. I will be shooting this thing a lot so hopefully it will be broke in within a couple weeks. I love the way it shoots though. Was just curious if any of you with SPS Tactical's ran into the same thing.

a stock that I was looking at for mine is the promag archangel it is not a bank breaker and a nice looking tactical stock with built in bipod as well as a built in mag well and comes with a 10 round magazine for around 280.00 if you look around I saw one on ebay for that check it out. 

a stock that I was looking at for mine is the promag archangel it is not a bank breaker and a nice looking tactical stock with built in bipod as well as a built in mag well and comes with a 10 round magazine for around 280.00 if you look around I saw one on ebay for that check it out. 

I have seen them and read reviews both for and against them. I think for me, the basic looking stock design is more what I'm after. I appreciate the heads up on this though. I'm a plain jane ole fuddy duddy, but the HS Police stock is tacticool enough for me. Hell I'd be happy with the Hogue if it didn't bend so much, I actually like the grip it gives you.

• 4 months later...

Congrats!, I got the same receiver, bolt, and barrel.  'Bolt rifles' are a whole lot of fun, accessories and all.

You'll want a KRG bolt lift.   Night and Day performance for your bolt handle on without the pain of a high price $$$.

http://www.kineticresearchgroup.com/products/boltlift.php

Also, recommended if your future stock doesn't have cheek rest adjustment. Bradley Cheekrest, GREAT guy Awesome customer service!

http://www.bradleycheekrest.com/BUL-Cheek-Rest_c10.htm

I just ordered the KRG bolt lift. Can't wait to put it on. I have been drooling over stocks but have a trip coming up in August, so I really can't get one yet.