Show off your best friend!

Mr. Brooks

Thanks Tungsten. I'm pretty depressed tonight. I hardly ever drink, but tonight I'm drinking a few Corona's. Nitro and I shared a lot of good times together, and he was quite special. I guess I should be thankful that he lived a good long life, considering most large German's are lucky to make it to 10 yrs. old.

That is a very nice looking Dobe Tungsten....looks like a big teddy bear ;) That's one of the breeds that I've been thinking about getting. I want either another German Shepherd, a Rottweiler, or possibly a Dobe. I just want to be sure to get one with a good temperment and that will be good with my son. I think I'll start checking out the local animal shelters.

PackinMama- I have the two shepherds.

n1468554757_30043446_7797.jpg

The black one (Nikki) has displaysia. She is almost 12 years old. I don't think she has that many more in her. She was our first kid. Missy (the pup) is already 5. I think when they are gone we are going with a short haired dog because agreed that Shepherds are THE BEST dogs out there I couldn't "replace" either of them. Sorry for your loss.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a list of best friends, sorry if you are not on it then you just missed out therefore you are not my best friend ha ha ha!!!!!:rofl:10Kilr, Big Mike, BryanP, bushfox25, Cruel Hand Luke, DaveTN, db99wj, dcloudy777, dkd83, DRM, dwrd, EasilyObsessed, GaryXD, Grout, Halfpint, Hero Gear+, Hyaloid, Idaho, Im Neero, Jason F., jdredmond, m4coyote, Magiccarpetrides, mdlave, musicman, mw., OhShoot, rd97, saintsfanbrian, Spuds, tcampbell, The Bronker, tnmale46, Todd@CIS, Verbal Kint

• Administrator
Here's Maggie (named after Thatcher)... 27 pounds of muscle, teeth and fury. (And kisses :D).

Maggie6June.jpg

She jumps about 3 times her height, likes to kill snakes, and literally pulls me (6'3" 265 pounds) around on a leash. She's definitely the .357Mag J-frame of the dog world.

DanO

We've got two of those. Ginger, the one that looks the most like Maggie, will play tug of war with you until you surrender. If you tied a rope to a tree, she would tug until the tree gave up. Seriously.

And yeah, she can pull me around when we play tug. It's amazing what these little f'kers are capable of. :rofl:

We had to bring the Doberman in to break the two of them of their "small dog syndrome". Nothing stops the foolishness like 90lbs of woof. :D

PackinMama- I have the two shepherds.

n1468554757_30043446_7797.jpg

The black one (Nikki) has displaysia. She is almost 12 years old. I don't think she has that many more in her. She was our first kid. Missy (the pup) is already 5. I think when they are gone we are going with a short haired dog because agreed that Shepherds are THE BEST dogs out there I couldn't "replace" either of them. Sorry for your loss.

saintsfanbrian,

Those are pretty girls you have there. Shepherds are great dogs for sure. I usually go back and forth between them, rottweilers, and boxers. I have a female shepherd that looks just like the one I just lost, but she's much smaller. Nitro went almost 100 lbs. before he started losing weight near the end. I'd say my girl Katie is about 65 lbs. or so. Katie was given to me recently by a friend that couldn't keep her anymore, she's very smart and sweet. She's only 2, so what I'd like to do is find a big male shepherd to breed her to, and then keep a male puppy.

I know you can never replace a good dog (I've tried that and learned the hard way that it doesn't work), but for me, it has always helped to get a new pup after I lose one. I don't look at a new pup as a replacement for the one I lost, but as a new start of another great friendship.

Saintsfan, when it's your Nikki's time to go, just remember that she lived a good long life. You'll never forget her and there'll never be another dog like her.....but you will have more good dogs that there will never be another one like too :rofl:

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

The little monster in my avatar at 8 weeks old, couldnt even jump on the couch then....

now hes about 25# and all miscle. Ever notice how they do a burn out with their back legs when they bark? And snore...Mywife gets up when I am snoring and sleeps in the living room and puts Brutus in the bed with me. My daighters have heard the two of us trying to outsnore each other from the other end of the house with all the doors closed and waking them up. And GAS, how the heck can they do that, clear a room in a minute, and hes laying there like nothing happened, and does it while asleep and doesnt wake up. INBELIEVABLE!

I always had big dogs, rotts, pits, but never liked Dobes, something about them always scared the number 2 out of me. maybe traumatic experience as a child or something, by the way, Higgins dobes were named Zues and Apollo. "Zues! Apollo! Kill!" That always made me LMAO

my other best friend is at Ft, Jacksin, 5th week of AIT and has just dropped the bomb that he is going to volunteer for airborne, oassed his physical today and paperwork pending. would leave him at Bragg instead of Korea though, so there is an upside , we would get to see him more

Hillbilly

The little monster in my avatar at 8 weeks old, couldnt even jump on the couch then....

now hes about 25# and all miscle. Ever notice how they do a burn out with their back legs when they bark? And snore...Mywife gets up when I am snoring and sleeps in the living room and puts Brutus in the bed with me. My daighters have heard the two of us trying to outsnore each other from the other end of the house with all the doors closed and waking them up. And GAS, how the heck can they do that, clear a room in a minute, and hes laying there like nothing happened, and does it while asleep and doesnt wake up. INBELIEVABLE!

I always had big dogs, rotts, pits, but never liked Dobes, something about them always scared the number 2 out of me. maybe traumatic experience as a child or something, by the way, Higgins dobes were named Zues and Apollo. "Zues! Apollo! Kill!" That always made me LMAO

my other best friend is at Ft, Jacksin, 5th week of AIT and has just dropped the bomb that he is going to volunteer for airborne, oassed his physical today and paperwork pending. would leave him at Bragg instead of Korea though, so there is an upside , we would get to see him more

Hillbilly

wont be seeing him much from bragg unless you have a passport. ^__-

Here are a few pictures of our new "baby", Maximus. He's a 2 year old Doberman rescue. Great personality. Lots of slobbery enthusiasm. :bowrofl:

383325259_ALZd8-L.jpg

383325886_Vtgaf-L.jpg

383329447_5dUBw-L.jpg

He's a great looking dog. I'm sure you and the Mrs are very proud. I wish I could afford another dog. Two is my limit financially. The vet bills can kill you.

• Administrator

Well Max is back at work with me again today. It appears that he caught tracheobronchitis (kennel cough) while he was at the shelter. It's not uncommon at all for this to happen.

Lots of sneezing, lots of coughing. They put him on an antibiotic but two of the side effects of it are that he is extremely thirsty and extremely sleepy. So he'll probably spend most of the day passed out on the floor with his water bowl in front of him but need bathroom breaks during the times when he is awake.

Poor little monkey. :D

:hat:

• Administrator
He's a great looking dog. I'm sure you and the Mrs are very proud. I wish I could afford another dog. Two is my limit financially. The vet bills can kill you.

Yeah, we really like him. The two Bostons are really low maintenance and together maybe equal the vet requirements of one bigger dog. That's the only saving grace for us.

Hopefully Max won't need a whole lot of Vet attention other than the normal annual checkups and such.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...