Coke's America the Beautiful - Give me your thoughts

Shug

While I realize I'm coming very late to this thread and also realize that it apparently got very off-topic I'm going to comment anyway.

In my opinion, there is a significant difference between being accepting of people from other cultures moving to the United States to become citizens compared to those who come here and seem to only want to continue with their own countries traditions and customs about picking what they can get from us. I welcome and encourage the first group and detest the other; most especially those who come here illegally.

I have no idea what Coca-Cola intended by doing the song this way but I found it quite offensive when I heard it. Perhaps I took it entirely wrong way but it seemed to me to be done as a slap in the face to the meaning and intent of the song. "America the Beautiful" is considered by many to be our national him; meaning it's almost sacred - there has even been a long-standing movement to make the song our national anthem rather than the Star-Spangled Banner.

Last night at the opening ceremonies of this year's Olympic games I heard the Russian national anthem sung in Russian. It was absolutely stunning the way it was performed. I can know more imagine America the Beautiful being sung in multiple languages than I can the Russian national anthem being sung is English or some other language. In my opinion both would be disrespectful of the song and disrespectful of the nation the song was written for.

America the Beautiful reads like a prayer to God.  I have no problem with Coke getting as many folks as possible "behind" it.

I think the "problem" is suspicion about what Coke's real intent was; not just the fact that different languages were used.

Some, or at least I, feel it was done to be provocative (and not in a "good" way). It almost seems as a slap in the face to take something so uniquely "American" and sing it in different languages. It's reasonable to ask "why" they would do that?  What purpose does it really serve?

Others just see it as an endorsement of America's position of embracing other heritages and maybe that's all it is and if so; fine.

Only Coke can answer to their real intent although, since they obviously want to offend no one and put as good a "spin" on it for themselves as possible I have doubts that we could take their answer at face value.

I still believe that America is the place where everyone can be accepted, as long as the common bond is the love of freedom. History has shown that America does not always welcome everyone. But in my heart, I do. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee
  • Like 3

I still believe that America is the place where everyone can be accepted, as long as the common bond is the love of freedom. History has shown that America does not always welcome everyone. But in my heart, I do.

Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

I am very accepting of those who come here with a desire for freedom, follow the rules, and who want to become "Americans". I am very unaccepting of those who come here by breaking the rules and who simply want to bring their culture with them rather than become part of the "American culture" or who want to "remake" our culture into their own.

My main problem with what Coca-Cola did with this commercial is that I'm not sure which of those two they are celebrating - if it is the former that is fine but if it is the latter it is not fine.
[quote name="RobertNashville" post="1108102" timestamp="1391898083"]I am very accepting of those who come here with a desire for freedom, follow the rules, and who want to become "Americans". I am very unaccepting of those who come here by breaking the rules and who simply want to bring their culture with them rather than become part of the "American culture" or who want to "remake" our culture into their own. My main problem with what Coca-Cola did with this commercial is that I'm not sure which of those two they are celebrating - if it is the former that is fine but if it is the latter it is not fine.[/quote]no way to know unless they say. So I give them the benefit of the doubt. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team
Coca-Cola has been very clear over the years for their desire for more diversity within their own company. They filed amicus briefs supporting affirmative action last year in both Grutter v. Bollinger and Gratz v. Bollinger. They've shown their commitment by their hiring practices; you'd be hard pressed to find a more diverse management team in a publicly traded company.

I think the commercial simply reflects their values.

My wife is a yankee, I am not.

Her family is Slovakian, she is only second generation American. I often tease her and call her Russian, making the stereotype that all of those Eastern European countries are the same. She doesn't like it, but she tolerates it.

She cooks food that there ain't no way on god'g green earth you are gonna get a country boy to eat. I haven't had soup beans in ten years. A month ago she tells me she is making me a mess of soup beans. Wish she would have told me that yankees make them with navy beans. And then they smash them all.

I cried.

On New Years, she cooks kielbasa and kraut, and expects me to eat them, because back in Russia, I mean the now nonexistant former Soviet Bloc country, that is what they ate on New Year. I don't know about you, but I eat collard greens, hog jowl and black eyed peas.

Now, the point I am making is a simple one, and something that a lot of folks are missing here, but I am pleased to see that just as many are getting it.

The United States of America is a nation that was founded by folks from everywhere. There are few distinctly 'American Traditions' because they are all heirlooms from nations that our ancestors left.

Demanding that all American's adhere to 'American Culture' is an ignorant statement. Please note I said ignorant, not stupid, please understand I am stating that one should do more research, not that one is foolish. American Culture, much like Americans are a mish mash of a million different flavors. Even our language and street slang is a mixture of languages. English itself is a blend of Germanic, Norse and French languages. 

I am proud to be an American, and I am proud of my heritage. To think that because someone has different political or religious views, or speaks a different first language that they can't possibly love America as much as you is the most childish thing I have ever heard.

I would like to end this and ask how many of you have attempted to pick up a second language? Why? Why not? I have a large working Spanish vocabulary, but I would hesitate to even say I could converse. It is hard, and I applaud ANYONE who is attempting to learn a second language.

• Like 9

I am on the fence about buying rosetta stone. I always wanted to learn russian.I took german in high school but had a bad teacher, most of it is forgotten. My brother is attending father ryan and he is taking chinese. Now thats a good language to learn. My dad knows italian from his grandparents and I know portuguese from my moms side. Every single person in the US is like vegetable soup. A million different ingredients and spices all working in unison.

[quote name="Murgatroy" post="1108147" timestamp="1391904737"]My wife is a yankee, I am not. Her family is Slovakian, she is only second generation American. I often tease her and call her Russian, making the stereotype that all of those Eastern European countries are the same. She doesn't like it, but she tolerates it. She cooks food that there ain't no way on god'g green earth you are gonna get a country boy to eat. I haven't had soup beans in ten years. A month ago she tells me she is making me a mess of soup beans. Wish she would have told me that yankees make them with navy beans. And then they smash them all. I cried. On New Years, she cooks kielbasa and kraut, and expects me to eat them, because back in Russia, I mean the now nonexistant former Soviet Bloc country, that is what they ate on New Year. I don't know about you, but I eat collard greens, hog jowl and black eyed peas. Now, the point I am making is a simple one, and something that a lot of folks are missing here, but I am pleased to see that just as many are getting it. The United States of America is a nation that was founded by folks from everywhere. There are few distinctly 'American Traditions' because they are all heirlooms from nations that our ancestors left. Demanding that all American's adhere to 'American Culture' is an ignorant statement. Please note I said ignorant, not stupid, please understand I am stating that one should do more research, not that one is foolish. American Culture, much like Americans are a mish mash of a million different flavors. Even our language and street slang is a mixture of languages. English itself is a blend of Germanic, Norse and French languages. I am proud to be an American, and I am proud of my heritage. To think that because someone has different political or religious views, or speaks a different first language that they can't possibly love America as much as you is the most childish thing I have ever heard. I would like to end this and ask how many of you have attempted to pick up a second language? Why? Why not? I have a large working Spanish vocabulary, but I would hesitate to even say I could converse. It is hard, and I applaud ANYONE who is attempting to learn a second language.[/quote]well said. I speak three languages myself; English (primary), Spanish, and Tuscarora (my native language). Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

My wife is a yankee, I am not.

Her family is Slovakian, she is only second generation American. I often tease her and call her Russian, making the stereotype that all of those Eastern European countries are the same. She doesn't like it, but she tolerates it.

She cooks food that there ain't no way on god'g green earth you are gonna get a country boy to eat. I haven't had soup beans in ten years. A month ago she tells me she is making me a mess of soup beans. Wish she would have told me that yankees make them with navy beans. And then they smash them all.

I cried.

On New Years, she cooks kielbasa and kraut, and expects me to eat them, because back in Russia, I mean the now nonexistant former Soviet Bloc country, that is what they ate on New Year. I don't know about you, but I eat collard greens, hog jowl and black eyed peas.

Now, the point I am making is a simple one, and something that a lot of folks are missing here, but I am pleased to see that just as many are getting it.

The United States of America is a nation that was founded by folks from everywhere. There are few distinctly 'American Traditions' because they are all heirlooms from nations that our ancestors left.

Demanding that all American's adhere to 'American Culture' is an ignorant statement. Please note I said ignorant, not stupid, please understand I am stating that one should do more research, not that one is foolish. American Culture, much like Americans are a mish mash of a million different flavors. Even our language and street slang is a mixture of languages. English itself is a blend of Germanic, Norse and French languages. 

I am proud to be an American, and I am proud of my heritage. To think that because someone has different political or religious views, or speaks a different first language that they can't possibly love America as much as you is the most childish thing I have ever heard.

I would like to end this and ask how many of you have attempted to pick up a second language? Why? Why not? I have a large working Spanish vocabulary, but I would hesitate to even say I could converse. It is hard, and I applaud ANYONE who is attempting to learn a second language.

:clap: I had to laugh about the kielbasa Sausage and Kraut meal your wife prepared for you. I grew up in a mixed home to but mine was a Yankee and a Southern Girl. My father was from Hickory Corners, Michigan and my mother was from Craggie Hope, Tennessee. My mother could cook about anything on a menu in about any restaurant from the finest top dollar ones in Chicago to the Ghetto's and everything in between. She was a Professional Chef much of her life and was employed as head chef in the Millionaire Club in Chicago for almost 10 years but only worked Friday, Saturday and Sunday when the high rollers came in so rest of the time she was home and cooked what ever she picked out and Kraut and Sausage was on the house menu at least three times a month. We also ate all kinds of Beans and Corn bread with fixin's. White, Pinto, Butter beans or mixed White and Pinto's. A real treat was Southern Fried Chicken with all the fixins. Now my Daddy being a Yankee(German decent) He did like the Kraut meals and liked Fish meals(Halibut) was his favorite along with Catfish I would catch and clean and she prepared. One night she fixed Salmon Patty fish cakes as something new. When Dad got in from work he sat down to supper and it didn't take Mom long to notice that he was eating some of everything but the Salmon. She asked him why he didn't eat any Salmon and his reply was he didn't care much for it. Now my mother cooked for her my father and four sons. Needless to say by the end of that week my Father developed a taste for Salmon Patty Cakes. We all had them for 4 nights straight and the last two nights my Father made sure he ate Salmon Cakes. Finally he asked her what her point was and she said that when she was growing up she was told that she ate what was put in front of her or she went hungry and she learned to acquire a taste for what ever was put on the table so she never went to bed hungry. From that point on until the day my Father died he always ate what my Mother put on the table but we also never had Salmon Cake patty's again. My Father learned to like Salmon and my Mother got her point across that if she is going to sweat and prepare a meal for 6 all 6 were going to eat what she cooked........My point to this is there is not anything in the way of food that is put on a table I won't eat but there are a few things I choose now not to eat at age 66 but only a couple. Now I know this is about as far off the topic of this thread as a person may go but I thought that Coke and America the Beautiful both needed a break.... :hiding: ...........jmho 

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 2

But I should be able to order my Big Mac in 'Merican, the way George Washington did!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

what about the BK big king? Isnt their motto "have it your way"? If so, ask for a AMERICAN big king.

I have had time to think about why my initial visceral negative reaction to the ad, and i think i can now explain, especially after Coke updated it wit the e pluribus unum intro. When has anyone EVER heard the song america the beautiful sung in a language but English? The reason for my question is that the very conceit that this country is a "melting pot" and "from many, one" means that we come together despite our differences and backgrounds. By singing the song in "foreign" languages it focuses on our DIFFERENCES, not our togetherness. Lets be honest - if English isnt the official .gov language we must accept that its the unofficial language - our signs are exclusively in English (less san fran's chinatown) , you press 1 for English, and 2 for spanish.... No other options, we teach in English in all public schools, and for those who dont we teach english as a second language. Legal documents must be filed in English. Of course, this is the goal of the PC movement - to balkanize and play groups against each other. Yes, an argument can be made that the singing in multiple languages showcases our togetherness, but that goal could have been met by having multi ethnic actors singing the song in English too. So the question is why add in the different languages? Who benefits? Beleive me, coke is not looking for controversy in its ads - this is a PC blunder built upon the classic road of good intentions.
  • Like 1

Beleive me, coke is not looking for controversy in its ads - this is a PC blunder built upon the classic road of good intentions.

Probably. They might not have thought as much into it that so many folks would find it offensive.

Of course, I qualify what is "offensive" by intent. Things intended to be offensive should be classified as such. Things which are taken differently than the author's intent should be classified as misunderstandings. It's the reason why words which could be classified as slurs towards race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, etcetera, are not offensive to me unless the intent of the use was to be offensive. It's why comedians can say such offensive things in certain context without most folks getting huffy about it. It's why, in my old job, we could make jokes regarding stereotypes of coworkers and they don't get offended, as no offense was intended.

I don't think Coca-Cola meant to offend anyone or suggest something sinister or un-American, so I'm gonna choose not to be offended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3